The Shangri-La and Mars Connection

Tac

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 5 months later...

To be honest I believe that the setting is meant to be Himalayas but it either A.) Could have originally been Mars and B.) Has a lot of red herrings pointing towards Mars. A question I have is can it turn day and night on Mars like in the Easter Egg? I am not saying it is either and I think Treyarch left it ambiguous because its funner that way. Also how can a civilization exist on Mars? You would have to do a lot of research to see if Shagri La being on Mars is possible.

In response to Mocking:

If the civilization isn't space faring, or industrial, it would go mostly unnoticed unless we happened to be directly looking at the spot close enough to make out any details.

If this is just a few square kilometers of jungle on the surface of mars, then the probability that we would happen to look directly at it with high powered scopes or satelites is low.

Going into the field of Astronomy, I can tell you there actually aren't many of us in the world. it's not exactly a super popular field, and then if you only look at the number of scopes and satelites that would be able to discern a few square kilometers of jungle on Mar's surface, you're down to litterally a handful of options, and they're mostly set up for looking at Deep Space.

You have to keep size in mind here.

It's like expecting to fling an SUV at Earth at random, and being surprised when you don't land in or near Chicago IL.

Except… Mars is MUCH smaller then earth… And we aren't exactly looking for an SUV… We're looking for at least a few dozen square miles of land in green mountains. Something that should be VERY apparent on a rust-covered planet, and is somewhat larger then an SUV. Heck, from what I've seen, shangri-la is much bigger then an average nuclear blast radius, and a nuclear blast can be seen from space. If it were on venus, or neptune, or a green planet, I'd say sure, it could be hidden in there, but it's supposedly on a planet that's dominantly the exact opposite color it is. 

Again, Mars is smaller than Earth, and Shangri-La is bigger than an SUV, yes.

But the analogy holds, even if it is a little exaggerated.

A nuclear blast can be seen from space, but that has to do with brightness, radiation emmission and proximity.

Mars is VERY far away.

You can think what you like, but I've had the honor of seeing the planet through the worlds largest refracting telescope (traditional lens based telescope) which is right here in Wisconsin, and it still doesn't look like much It's dim, uniform in color, and relatively dark.

The surface area of Mars is a bit over 100 Million square kilometers.

If our line of sight is 50 KM to those mountains and Shangri-La is circular around that point then it covers about 10000 square kilometers.

That is one one hundreth of one percent of the planet's surface area. At any given time, about half of that is visible to us, so it'd be about two one hundreths of one percent of the surface we could see.

Mars's apparent size through the hubble telescope at it's maximum practical resolution (which it couldn't actually acheive on something like Mars) around 4700X makes Mars about the size of the circular face of a soda can at about a fresh pencil-length from your eye.

The green spot you'd be looking for would be a dot, about 6 ten thousandths of a milimeter across.

Hubble's Maximum visual resolution is about .04 arc seconds.

all of Mars face is 6 arc seconds across. The green spec 50 Kilometer's in radius would be about .0012 arc seconds across. Much much smaller than Hubble's resolution. It would be unable to discern the green spec. At all. It would be about 1/16th of a pixel. Not enough to register at all.

This is my field. Trust me here.

Keep in mind that hubble and other scopes take their detailed photos by long exposure, which is impossible to do on something that would be moving across the surface of Mars due to the rotation of planet which is pretty close to our own roational speed.

So no. No one would see it, unldss it was brigtly lit or sending of some massive amount of radiation on some observable wavelength. And even then, we might still have less than no idea what we are looking at.

It's a youtube thing, cinema sins says it every time something enters earth's atmosphere, like the silver surfer or the clover field thing, and no one does anything about it. 

You would think a scientist would report the life on mars to someone. 

Yeah but even if Shangri La is on mars (which I am not saying it is or isn't) they never gave like a time frame. 

• Administrators

All that being said, neither of Mars moon, or it's other minor satelites would be capable of causing a full eclipse, I'm pretty sure. In fact, that is actually a very rare occurance. So the eclipse is cool, but it causes some astronomical problems.

Yup, too small so they only create annular eclipses and because of the difference in orbital speeds, it can create up to two per year. However, the eclipse we see in the game is a total eclipse with the diamond ring effect. This is interesting because it's the same style eclipse as on the loading screen, but we believe the loading screen is on Mars while we play on Earth, so why is there the same eclipse if it's not possible on Mars?
  • Administrators

Because it's on earth and Jimmy says these things to troll us. -Just putting that out there. 

Even if it was on mars, which it isn't, what relevance would that have to the story? It'd be the most POINTLESS and complicated plot-twist in the history of forever.

Yeah exactly, and I'm not saying that it is on Mars, just that it was at some point. Just for clarification.
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

I sincerely think that Shangri La is NOT on Mars. I don't see why people would even begin to think that. I'm inclined to the belief that it is where it is supposed to be, in the Himalayas.

...or perhaps a part of Aether. But we can't determine things like that.

Well given the information I put in the OP, that's probably why people would even begin to think that. At the end of the day, there's very likely a connection between Shangri-La and Mars. I am not saying Shangri-La is on Mars, but that there's merely a connection.

I sincerely think that Shangri La is NOT on Mars. I don't see why people would even begin to think that. I'm inclined to the belief that it is where it is supposed to be, in the Himalayas.

Well given the information I put in the OP, that's probably why people would even begin to think that. At the end of the day, there's very likely a connection between Shangri-La and Mars. I am not saying Shangri-La is on Mars, but that there's merely a connection.

I'm not one to say there isn't a connection. I'm just saying that I don't quite understand why it would make any sense that it was there, or why people think it's a thing.

I'm not one to say there isn't a connection. I'm just saying that I don't quite understand why it would make any sense that it was there, or why people think it's a thing.

They think it because Jimmy Zielinski has essentially dropped a lot of hints as to it being on mars, but that by no means proves it as he could be trolling.

@The Meh @Nightmare Voyager @Tac

Wasn't it like:

• Devs started talking about Shang's Mountains being "Zombies biggest secret"
  • Some threads were made about it standing out during the eclipse and comparing it to the mountains of Mars
  • Gamefiles reveal the mountains are called a vista of mars
  • And then Jimmy tweeted again with an article of water / life on mars saying mars was like paradise.

Wasn't it like:

• Some threads were made about it standing out during the eclipse and comparing it to the mountains of Mars
  • And then Jimmy tweeted again with an article of water / life on mars saying mars was like paradise.

So... you believe Zielinski?

Wasn't it like:

Yes but on some occasions I think he also referred to Shangri La is on mars, its somewhere in this thread.

Meh no she didn't say that she was saying what happened.

Archived