Jump to content

Red Dead Redemption


Recommended Posts

Moderator
Spoiler

 

 

 

 

So usually I would post this via a status update, but we've disabled those, because we want more traffic in the Forum itself.

 

Good ol' R* is at it again and even though they seemingly ignored Niko Bellic's birthday, I can't be mad at them for too long. I am pretty sure most of you know of Red Dead Redemption, I personally adored every second of it, back in 2010 and after 2 delays, we'll (hopefully) get it this october.

 

I wasn't really on board with the sequel (it is actually a prequel though) til the new trailer dropped today. I am really curious to play this.

 

Have any of you played the 2010 game and are you looking forward to this one? 

Link to post
  • Moderators
Moderator

I played the old game (not the story, just running around for fun) and I'll definitely buy this one. Btw, had anyone bought the undead DLC?

Link to post
Moderator
22 minutes ago, anonymous said:

Btw, had anyone bought the undead DLC?

Yes, it was some real good fun, sadly I don't remember the story of the DLC anymore, cause that was the weakest part about it as opposed to the normal game.

Link to post
  • Moderators
Moderator

I'm cautiously optimistic about it. I loved the first game, but I don't know if I'd be that interested in another one in this day and age just with a new coat of paint. I hope the game is pretty off-the-wall like GTA V was, and some parts of RDR1. A big part of the appeal for GTA V was the characters and how exaggerated they were for me. No one in this trailer really struck me as interesting so my response was, "meh"

 

Also, I really hope they do the online well. I loved RDR 1 online and there really wasn't much to do in the open world, and despite it it was so much fun. I'm just worried how microtransactions will be implemented. (Cards to buy flying horses or gatling guns?).

Link to post
Moderator
5 hours ago, RadZakpak said:

A big part of the appeal for GTA V was the characters and how exaggerated they were for me.

I am exactly the opposite, the characters in V were so annoying for me and I always wanted Niko Bellic to come around the corner to hug me at least that is how I felt in my 2nd playthrough. haha

 

I agree RDR online was some good fun, but we can all see the microtransactions coming, I mean GTA V apperantly made/makes more money than any other videogame out there. It is funny though: you always see so many people complaining about microtransactions, but there seemingly have to be just as many, who stay silent and spend money on (game) money/Lootboxes, but that is a story for another topic. haha

 

 

Link to post
  • 3 months later...
Moderator

Gameplay tomorrow, boys!

 

 

@Mattzs get in here.

Link to post
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Moderator

 

 

Link to post
Donor

I’ve just been playing RDR 1 for the first time the last couple days, and man that game is good. I’m hoping that this game will have story mode DLC though, was very disappointing when GTA V’s was cancelled in favour of milking multiplayer items.

Link to post
Moderator
1 hour ago, Spider3000 said:

I’ve just been playing RDR 1 for the first time the last couple days, and man that game is good. I’m hoping that this game will have story mode DLC though, was very disappointing when GTA V’s was cancelled in favour of milking multiplayer items.

RDR blew my mind back in the day. I have very fond memories of playing it.

 

I also agree with you on the DLC part, but the IV DLC didn't sell that well, regardless of it being two of the best DLC ever created for any game, but I think it was literally ahead of it's time and the Microsoft deal didn't help either. 

Link to post
Donor
1 hour ago, Lenne said:

RDR blew my mind back in the day. I have very fond memories of playing it.

 

I also agree with you on the DLC part, but the IV DLC didn't sell that well, regardless of it being two of the best DLC ever created for any game, but I think it was literally ahead of it's time and the Microsoft deal didn't help either. 

Oh yeah, definitely. Console exclusive deals are still no good and apparently all RDR 2 DLC multiplayer or otherwise will release 30 days early on PS4. At least for Black Ops 4 it’s looking like there’ll only be 7 days early DLC.

Link to post
Moderator
22 hours ago, Spider3000 said:

apparently all RDR 2 DLC multiplayer or otherwise will release 30 days early on PS4

Still better than a whole year though. ^^

 

I'm curious how John Marston will be integrated into the game. Maybe we will get to play him as well at some point? Really liked that guy not gonna lie.

Link to post
Donor
6 hours ago, Lenne said:

Still better than a whole year though. ^^

 

I'm curious how John Marston will be integrated into the game. Maybe we will get to play him as well at some point? Really liked that guy not gonna lie.

Oh wow, I had no idea it was a year. Yeah I can imagine that would’ve sucked.

 

I think Rockstar would be pretty silly to throw away an opportunity to play as John Marston again. He was very well liked by fans of course, and it’d be a bit disappointing if we exclusively played as Arthur.

Link to post
Moderator
1 hour ago, Mattzs said:

No word on PC, right? I’m hoping it is similar to what happened with GTA V.

Nope. Keep in mind the original Red Dead Redemption didn't get a PC release at all, but I'd say you can be hopeful, I don't see R* missing out on the PC market this time around.

Link to post
Moderator
16 minutes ago, jiipee95 said:

I haven't played the original Red Dead Redemption but I thought I might get this one at some point. Definitely not on launch cause I'll have BO4 being my main game for a while I think.

I dunno how I will handle the situation, but I think I will also wait a while, maybe even well into 2019. I mean there seems to be so much to do in this game almost even too much? I dunno, but it seems a bit overwhelming.

Also love the fact that they carried the first person perspective from GTA V into this. ? 

Link to post
1 minute ago, Lenne said:

I dunno how I will handle the situation, but I think I will also wait a while, maybe even well into 2019. I mean there seems to be so much to do in this game almost even too much? I dunno, but it seems a bit overwhelming.

Also love the fact that they carried the first person perspective from GTA V into this. ? 

I know the feeling. A lot of open world games end up being overwhelming with all the stuff they have. Often I'm left with unfinished games cause of that. They get repetitive quite easy. And a lot depends on how things like side quests are handled. Some games manage to make them interesting, some games I feel like I'm doing the same copy/paste mission for the 20th time. But I'm surely hoping this one will be a good experience ?

Link to post
Donor

Yeah I won’t be getting RDR 2 at launch but I’m sure it’ll be great like all Rockstar games. I agree about it being overwhelming though. I don’t really like the sound of your guns rusting, or Arthur getting dirty and growing a long beard if you don’t take the time to shave and bathe him. Also, do your horses testicles really need to shrink in cold conditions? I think there’s a point where games can become too realistic to the point of where they can become unenjoyable but I’m hopeful Rockstar won’t fall into this trap.

Link to post
On 10/7/2018 at 3:34 AM, Lenne said:

Nope. Keep in mind the original Red Dead Redemption didn't get a PC release at all, but I'd say you can be hopeful, I don't see R* missing out on the PC market this time around.

Yeah, I played a bit of the original on the Xbox 360. I remember reading the game would be a mess to port. However, I would be really surprised if they skip out on PC this time. Fingers Crossed!

Also, is Red Dead Revolver set in the Redemption universe? From what I remember reading, Revolver was less grounded in realism.

Link to post
Moderator
5 minutes ago, Mattzs said:

Yeah, I played a bit of the original on the Xbox 360. I remember reading the game would be a mess to port. However, I would be really surprised if they skip out on PC this time. Fingers Crossed!

Also, is Red Dead Revolver set in the Redemption universe? From what I remember reading, Revolver was less grounded in realism.

I dunno. I was always under the impression that the new game will be called something else, you know? Red Dead "something" and not RDR II so I thought these "Rockstar cowboy games" share the Red dead universe.

I don't really know why they called this game RDR II especially cause it is a prequel. Probably because they want people not to be confused or something.

 

The name sells copies.

Link to post
53 minutes ago, Lenne said:

I dunno. I was always under the impression that the new game will be called something else, you know? Red Dead "something" and not RDR II so I thought these "Rockstar cowboy games" share the Red dead universe.

I don't really know why they called this game RDR II especially cause it is a prequel. Probably because they want people not to be confused or something.

 

The name sells copies.

Yeah, I was expecting Red Dead Redemption 2 to have a different name. I am guessing it is because RDR2 has some connection to RDR. If it was another standalone Cowboy story, then I would expect it to have a different name.

 

After reading the Wikipedia for Revolver, I feel like the original concept for Revolver was wackier. The finalized product might be different. 

On a side note, I always find it fascinating when a subsequent entry in a series receives critical acclaim. Usually, it is the other way around, where sequels can't capture the "magic" of the first entry.

Link to post
Moderator

 

Link to post
  • 2 months later...
Moderator

So I just got done with the story and if I had to sum my experience up in one word it be "Unique".

 

The thing I am most impressed with is how polished, very good looking and bug free this game is. That definitely made it worth the long wait.

The pacing of the story and the game in general is a bit slow, but I appreciated that, cause it really helps to set the mood of the world.

The missions are almost all really, really good despite the gameplay itself feeling a bit stuck in it's ways, but to be honest I couldn't think of a better solution.

The story in the last third really made me love Arthur Morgan so much even that I would rank him as the 2nd best character in any R* game, at first I didn't really care for him at all.

 

The epilogue also was a pleasant surprise in terms of how many missions were in it and for me personally it really made me struggle to not cry. Especially when you keep in mind what the future holds for John and his family.

 

I wouldn't call it the best game of this generation, but it is at the very least in a top 5 spot.

Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy, Code of Conduct, We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. .