Background Music

I love music. I love how music can sometimes accent an emotion or an action. Sometimes the wrong music can distill the mood. Sometimes Black Ops 2 makes me cry. Sometimes it doesn't.

Anyways, Zombies is known for its heavy sounding, ultra pounding music. As in the easter eggs that feature metal artists like Avenged Sevenfold and... others.

So, obviously besides Elena and Avenged, the set list for Zombies is quite small and condensed. Excluding the dude who enjoyed his moments in Tranzit and Die Rise and excluding DOA music, we may need to give some suggestions regarding the music we should be killing to. 

You all might have already discussed this but now I'm here and I have nothing else to talk about.

So here is a set list that I recommend be considered:

Helloween - Ride the Sky

Anthrax - (Anything from) Among the Living

Black Sabbath - Voodoo

Judas Priest - (Anything from) Painkiller

Megadeth - Bad Omen

Really, anything from the 80s is just fantastic. That Sabbath song is in there for the lyrics, it's not recommended for hype.

I don't think it really matters what song we want since rights are of a major concern. It's better to dream than to live, so tell me what I should listen to while I kill people.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good topic mate.

I'd love to hear some of the tunes you listed.

I've always wanted to hear a TOOL song in Zombies as I know that Jimmy is a fan of TOOL. On his Twitter he follows Maynard, Danny & (insert guitarists name here) so I know he would consider it. Publication rights would be a huge issue if you know the background of Tool.

• Moderators

But I just want Elena. ;_;

I know, I know: "Let go of the past and accept change, Lenne."

NO! Never. Everytime I turn on music other than Elena's beautiful voice I feel like I am cutting her tongue out. 

If it has to be something else though: Why not some classical music?

I understand the obsession with Elena. She is very talented when she wants to be. However, vocals aren't of a major concern for me. I feel like we can all agree that when we slay, the last thing we listen for are the lyrics that are being spouted. Although it does help with the mood when they say something like "Bury them nice bury them deep, use the knife to make them sleep." Or whatever nonsensical lyrics you want to tow. I look for the shredding guitar solos that accent my weapon firing like bunnies banging. Especially double kick pedals from the drummer.

The best thing I could find that would be appropriate would be a compilation song featuring a great guitarist, a magical singer (it could be Elena or Bruce Dickinson or Dio from the grave), a strong drummer like the guy from Death, and a bassist that makes me wet my front end. It would be more work than just some random assortment of members but I think it would be more unique.

I would also like to add that classical music would work in the sense that LONG songs are welcome. The short radio songs don't work because these zombie games can last for longer than 4 mins. I would like to see endurance songs start to flesh out and make an appearance. Songs like A.D.I./Horror Of It All (Anthrax 7:49), Sign of the Southern Cross (Black Sabbath 7:47), Good Mourning/Black Friday (Megadeth 6:39), or even as far as Rime of the Ancient Mariner (Iron Maiden 13:34), lets not forget the almighty Seventh Son of a Seventh Son (Iron Maiden 9:53). These songs have strong emotional changes at some point and are akin to the styles of classical composers, simply for their length and endurance-like play through. Long dense songs full of solos and meaningful wordage would certainly make my hokey pokey want to smokey.

Side note: I highly recommend all the songs I post for music enthusiasts and metal heads alike. I have high hopes for all the things I enjoy so I'm just gonna put this out there; Stargazer (Rainbow 8:32), A Light In The Black (Rainbow 8:11)

If it's in game music, then lyrics are very important, we've learned quite a lot from just studying the lyrics of all artists featured on CODz

Otherwise no, and classical music is really nice on the more depressing looking maps, Nacht, Der Riese and Origins make use of muted blue and grey tones, so that dreary look goes great with Moonlight Sonata or any sad classical music.

@Tattoo247 I understand that the lyrics have made an impact on the story mode and that we know more through the lyrics but lately I feel that the story has become more on the exterior than the interior. I know there is still a mystery in the story that the lyrics may clear up, but how much of the story will it clear up. For me the lyrics didn't change my experience for the better. Sometimes it kind of killed a map for me. My opinion says that in the future, lyrics either need to reflect the map or, as the tradition goes, describes where we are in the story now.

Well some of the music was plain bad, I can agree on that.

But to me, it was always cool to have a 3rd part perspective, from the lyrics. We've understood Samanthas feelings since before we really knew her, and we even got insight on what it's like to be a zombie.

We wont talk about Five though, I don't know what the hell they were thinking there...

I love 80s metal though, so as long as I get a good dose of story, I could compromise with the music.

Good topic mate.

I'd love to hear some of the tunes you listed.

I've always wanted to hear a TOOL song in Zombies as I know that Jimmy is a fan of TOOL. On his Twitter he follows Maynard, Danny & (insert guitarists name here) so I know he would consider it. Publication rights would be a huge issue if you know the background of Tool.

Jimmy just won more brownie points then. I always imagine zombies anytime I listen to this. As though it were slowly reversing backwards to the beginning of it all in the first few minutes:

Also, some other great songs that would fit the nature of Zombies:

That being said, I have a custom playlist for each Zombies map that fits the theme and build up if any folks are interested.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

What about Welcome to New York by Taylor Swift? Perhaps America by Imagine Dragons? Wait no I've got it... Do My Thang by Miley Cyrus. I could most certainly do my thang (kill zombies) to that song.

But in reality, I want a Linkin Park song. That would be badass.

• Administrators

One word:

Vicarious

Alright, gang. I like the conversations and input. It's good to hear people have an opinion on their preference in zombie music. On a quick side note, I'd like to thank Lenne for pulling a fast one and getting Sledgehammer to add the fantastic classical song. I had my doubts until I realized that classical music definitely accents the killing of the undead. However, I must admit that I laughed when I heard that this was the song.

In light of all your interest in what makes a good zombie set list, I've put together a solid soundtrack that I recommend to "The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner".

Anthrax:

- Deathrider - Metal Thrashing Mad - A.I.R. - Medusa - Among the Living - Caught in a Mosh - I Am the Law - Skeleton in the Closet - Imitation of Life - Schism - Fight 'Em Til You Can't - Earth On Hell - Judas Priest -

Iron Maiden:

- Be Quick or Be Dead - Where Eagles Dare - Aces High - Rime of the Ancient Mariner - Moonchild - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son - Only the Good Die Young - Transylvania -

Judas Priest:

- Judas Rising - Demonizer - Hellrider - Freewheel Burning - Painkiller - Hell Patrol - All Guns Blazing - Leather Rebel - Metal Meltdown - Between the Hammer & the Anvil - Battle Hymn/One Shot at Glory - Metalizer -

Let us Pray/Call for the Priest - Dissident Aggressor - Exciter - 

Megadeth*:

- Wake Up Dead - The Conjuring - Devil's Island - Good Mourning/Black Friday - Bad Omen - My Last Words - Last Rites/Loved to Death - Killing is my Business... And Business is Good! - The Skull Beneath the Skin - Rattlehead - Looking Down the Cross - These Boots - Take No Prisoners - Five Magics - Poison Was the Cure - Tornado of Souls - Rust in Peace... Polaris - 

I would put more but as I type this I have been invited to play a game of zombies. So this will have to do.

*Note: Megadeth songs must be heard from the original album, not the remastered versions. Again, listen to the all the songs on the original recorded version. Trust me when I say, the born again Dave Mustaine fucked up all the original satanic songs. So there it is in plain text.

Edited by DrVonstool