Ludwig or Ludvig?

So, something that has been bothering me since the Origins cinematic is Maxis' name.

In BO1 we learned it was Ludwig; the Data Servants said so.

But in BO2, the first time we see his name in a "non-secret" way, it's Ludvig.

So... How's Maxis named?

Imo, it's Ludwig, -like Beethoven-, but the "w" in german is pronounced as "v", so maybe the team that made the intro for Origins just messed up.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I always call him Ludvig but that doesn't mean to say it is his real name. Maybe they decided it had a V by Origins and thought it wasn't as big a deal. We need evidence of his name other than this picture and a Data Servant as we cannot be sure if whoever is writing them up has made a mistake.

Good topic @JuggerWicho The different spelling was discussed when Black Ops came out, but I cant find the posts.

Maxis' first name was spelt Ludvig on a plaque found in Der Riese (World at War) & this same plaque is found in the Projector Room on Kino der Toten (Black Ops). (see picture below)

LudvigMaxisMD_zpscedf5444.png

Yet his name is spelt Ludwig on the Black Ops Terminal. (see picture below)

SERVANTA00001.TXT

***TOP SECRET***
***LEVEL 1 CLEARENCE EYES ONLY***
DER RIESE "SERVANT" SAMPLE A00001

What follows is the chronological primary sample from the Der Riese project "Datenbediensteter" (translated: DATA SERVANT).  Sample was acquired from CIA asset based out of Vozrozhdeniya in the Soviet Union and is translated from its original German below:

***TEST CASE A00001***

*greetings
*i am ludwig maxis
*today is 20 january 1942
*my daughter has a dog
*its name is fluffy
*this is file 1
*for storage in the data
*servant
*I trust in its success

***END FILE***

Black Ops Teminal Screenshot

ServantA00001_zpsa2b022cb.png

I actually hadn't noticed the spelling on the Origins Cinematic - Spelt Ludvig

na2yhuga.jpg

There have been numerous character names that have been mis-spelt

• Ludvig or Ludwig (In all 3 Zombies games)
  • Richtofan (The subtitle text on the Kino loading screen & also some of his quote file names are spelt  Richtofan)
  • Nikolai Belinksi (The original Origins Trailer spelt Nikolai's name like this instead of Belinski) (Treyarch fixed this within an hour)
  • Gersch or Gersh (Tactical known as the Gersch Device (maybe? need screenshot) but the achievement calls it the Gersh Device)

post-127987-0-84106500-1406293210.jpg

Conclusion:- Multiple Character names that are pronouced the same are actually different characters! (Jokes)

i've never noticed that.  Proves that although we feel like the zombies team takes so much pride in the story and what not, there are a lot of inconsistencies in details that don't make their attention to detail look very impressive.

I'd go with Ludwig, pronounced lewd-vig, just like the more traditional German spelling

Some names can be spelled more than one way. Ludvig would be the most correct way, but Ludwig isn't necessarily wrong. I would take the servant files with a grain of salt however since they pass through a middle man (the CIA). And since literally everything else says Ludvig, then Ludvig it is. Same goes for Gersch versus Gersh. The achievement is the only thing that says Gersh. But since literally everything else says Gersch, you ought to go by Gersch instead of Gersh, even though neither is technically incorrect.

You're assuming he's from Norwegian, or Denmark, or from Sweden perhaps?

Ludvig wouldn't be 'more correct' than Ludwig. Since it's exactly the same word, just spelled differently in other countries.

But since Ludwig is how the germans spell it, that one would make the most 'sense', hence I prefer to spell it as Ludwig.

I would take the servant files with a grain of salt however since they pass through a middle man (the CIA). And since literally everything else says Ludvig, then Ludvig it is.

Since Ludwig is a German name, and Ludvig is a Scandinavian name, I'm saying his name is spelled as dr. Ludwig Maxis.

It's probably neither here nor there, but the only time it is spelt Ludwig (from what I remember) is in the Servant Files which Maxis wrote/programmed himself. The CIA/Majestic 12 people didn't make it, they only accessed the "Datenbediensteter" (translated: DATA SERVANT). Then again, it does say that it's been translated from its original German.

Either way, who really cares. It's just Treyarch laziness with the spelling of a major characters name.

Edit - I made a topic a while ago questioning if Maxis was really German based on Richtofen saying "Stupid Maxis & his stupid accent". A lot of the same arguments are in that thread too.

http://www.callofdutyzombies.com/forum/index.php/topic/149904-is-dr-maxis-really-german/

I would take the servant files with a grain of salt however since they pass through a middle man (the CIA). And since literally everything else says Ludvig, then Ludvig it is.

Since Ludwig is a German name, and Ludvig is a Scandinavian name, I'm saying his name is spelled as dr. Ludwig Maxis.

It's probably neither here nor there, but the only time it is spelt Ludwig (from what I remember) is in the Servant Files which Maxis wrote/programmed himself. The CIA/Majestic 12 people didn't make it, they only accessed the "Datenbediensteter" (translated: DATA SERVANT). Then again, it does say that it's been translated from its original German.

Either way, who really cares. It's just Treyarch laziness with the spelling of a major characters name.

Edit - I made a topic a while ago questioning if Maxis was really German based on Richtofen saying "Stupid Maxis & his stupid accent". A lot of the same arguments are in that thread too.

http://www.callofdutyzombies.com/forum/index.php/topic/149904-is-dr-maxis-really-german/

Well....the accent thing can be given a free pass considering they ARE Germans.....yet they always speak English ....so......Yeah theres that.

"Two German scientists (shows pictures of Richtofen AND Maxis) sought to...yada yada yada..." I'm assuming he's German.

My guess is it's "Lidvig". Which that may not make sense considering that's not the correct German spelling. Anyways.

My reasoning...

Treyarch quickly fixed Nikolai's misspelled name. If they screwed up on Maxis' name, they most likely would have done the same. Right? But anything's possible.

Ludvig wouldn't be 'more correct' than Ludwig. Since it's exactly the same word, just spelled differently in other countries.

But since Ludwig is how the germans spell it, that one would make the most 'sense', hence I prefer to spell it as Ludwig.

Not at all. I'm assuming nothing. He could be whatever race. I'm not pigeon-holing it like some people.

Ludvig IS MORE CORRECT because it is used more often. (As in, literally every single instance minus the servant files.) That fact has absolutely nothing to do with race.

But hey! You wanna throw race around?! Maybe he was of Scandinavian origin before he joined the multicultural 935? And maybe the fact it had an overbearing German presence means he spelled his name with a W sometimes? Shucks look at that! The possibilities!

Dr. Ludvig Maxis, a.k.a. Dr. Ludwig Maxis

Dr. Gersch, a.k.a. Dr. Gersh

Agartha, a.k.a. Argatha

Not at all. I'm assuming nothing. He could be whatever race. I'm not pigeon-holing it like some people.

Ludvig IS MORE CORRECT because it is used more often. (As in, literally every single instance minus the servant files.) That fact has absolutely nothing to do with race.

But hey! You wanna throw race around?! Maybe he was of Scandinavian origin before he joined the multicultural 935? And maybe the fact it had an overbearing German presence means he spelled his name with a W sometimes? Shucks look at that! The possibilities!

Dr. Ludvig Maxis, a.k.a. Dr. Ludwig Maxis

Dr. Gersch, a.k.a. Dr. Gersh

Agartha, a.k.a. Argatha

Who is to say if his name is Ludvig (Which has most evidence pointing towards it) he isn't of Scandinavian descent?

^who's to say he's not of Scandinavian decent?

Sure, like I said above, Sam said "German scientist", but that doesn't mean he didn't come from Scandinavia originally. Or that his parents were Finnish and named him accordingly, despite being born in Germany. The possibilities are infinite.

I'm still gonna say it's Ludvig because there's more evidence of it. But who really knows.

^who's to say he's not of Scandinavian decent?

Sure, like I said above, Sam said "German scientist", but that doesn't mean he didn't come from Scandinavia originally. Or that his parents were Finnish and named him accordingly, despite being born in Germany. The possibilities are infinite.

I'm still gonna say it's Ludvig because there's more evidence of it. But who really knows.

I really like that idea of Maxis being part Scandinavian which influenced his name. It makes sense really and if Treyarch did make a blunder with his name.... Well heres the solution.

When it all comes down to it, it is just misspelling.

But, for the argument of nationality, let's look at Origins.

The Nazi Party / Group 935 ideology is shown in Origins. That's why the Robots are named Odin, Thor & Freya. The reason the Futhark symbols are shown when in Zombie Blood.

Deutsche Mythologie (Teutonic Mythology)....

I like your reasoning. I've never even considered Norse Mythology to be a part of the storyline at all. I've always overlooked it, despite me having studied the Norse belief for a few years now.

Thanks for bringing that up!

Exactly, Nightmare. I mean that promotes my theory that Treyarch makes up the story as they go along... Smh. Lazy bastards.lol

I think they have a load of there story finished to them already but if they make a mistake or get bored of an idea they make something new up. That may explain a lot of things that have happened in the past few maps....