I have always been a bit unimpressed with shooter games because they never go to the extremes of realism. Can we imagine the reality of slaying hordes of the undead with the same LMG for a moment...How hot would that barrel be? How destroyed would that firing pin become? Are we to seriously believe that gun is not going to jam? Or backfire?

And yet, they never do...

I guarantee if you ask real combat professionals if they've ever had a weapon misfire, jam, or otherwise fail, their answer will be Yes. It's just a fact of life, a physical scientific fact. Guns are mechanical. Machines wear down over time and repeated use, eventually, they fail.

So, who would like to see a mechanic such as that implemented into shooter games? Perhaps instead of making hardcord mode in the MP just remove your HUD and map, etc.. let's make weapons that fail if you use them too much (i.e. your firing pin disintegrates if you go full-auto for too long), or that fail for other reasons: you're firing while diving prone and smash your gun (maybe you could even shoot yourself?), you reload too often and a round gets jammed, you fire too close to someone and pieces of them clog your barrel, and so on...

Plenty of realistic scenarios are constantly ocurring in our shooter games, but our guns magically continue to function normally. Sure some games add an element of deteriation, but I want to see a game that punishes you for mishandling your weapon, and if you have to crawl in the dirt, you should have to clean your gun before you fire with it again or risk mechanical failure. That's realistic. 

Who agrees with me? What scenarios can you imagine that you always see in shooter games, that in reality would mean a busted weapon? Who knows which weapons are truly built tough to handle certain situations, which weapons are dainty, high maintenance, pieces of crap?

Final thought: How awesome would it be to troll people by targeting their weapons?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It wouldn't be fun and it would just throw a bunch of randomness into the game and take away skill gameplay. Out of all games Call of Duty isn't the one going for realism. Sure on PC army sims they can have weapon malfuctions and at least in Red Orchestra you need to change your machinegun barrel if you overheat it too much.

Good topic mate.

When it comes to realism and zombies here is my idea, something I've wanted since I first played the game.

In coop if your teammate goes down and bleeds out, the zombies are able to pick up their weapons and use them on you.  

I'm pretty certain that they couldn't do it, it would complicate the game mechanics too much but I can't tell you how much I'd enjoy seeing zombies shooting back at me.

On the OP, I'd like to see it, but I imagine the majority of users would hate it.

If would suit campers the most, and runners and gunners would be seriously disadvantaged by it. 

A lot of people compare "jamming" to over sampling. That's what they call it when your trigger finger is faster than the maximum fire rate of a semi-automatic. It causes it to skip a bit. If they increased the quantity of semi-autos and made over sampling have a stronger effect on gameplay (actually jams the gun up for longer) I can imagine it being implemented. It would add a challenge but also make sure that the player takes the time to skillfully regulate their trigger finger.

If it was based on randomness, it would just end up plain annoying. There are plenty of things that are luck-related in zombies. like for example getting dogs on round 7 instead of 6 could be advantageous. That randomness forces the player to put themself into a position from which they can adapt to any potential outcome. However if it was something like jamming whuch constantly keeps players on their toes, it would add a sense of impending dread to gameplay. You'd constantly have that "you're screwed buddy" feeling hanging over you. That is an example of luck that takes away from gameplay.

Jamming no....no thank you.

It would be cool to play a game (not zombies) that really had you maintain your weapon as far as element damage and just perhaps cleaning the gun in a lobby or menu. My favorite type of gun in Multiplayer are pistols, and having owned a few, I know you can't constantly dry fire (squeezing the trigger in rapid succession) without risk of cracking the barrel...chamber....thing lol. So it might be cool to have that in the back of your mind, that you can't just dash everywhere using a pistol like a SMG without having a risk.

Jamming would cause massive rage, it's not fun in real life nor would it be in games, and there is definitely the "too far" in games, like having The Last of Us require us to take a leak or crap would be too much.

Edited by Tattoo247

I imagine it for a campaign, really. It wouldn't work well with Multiplayer, for sure. Campers would definitely have the edge.

However, for a campaign. I think it would be neat. Perhaps a super realistic Marine RPG. Marines clean their weapons religiously, after all. Heck, with the advent of using mics to speed up in-game tasks (such as yelling at the store clerk in GTA so you rob them faster), you could clean your gun faster if you recite the Rifleman's Creed while cleaning.

"This is my Rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine..."

I suppose I'm craving more than the shooter games are offering. I don't like the arcadey run and gun push that seems to be the trend, instead I'd prefer a more immersive shooter experience and what I think will immerse players the most would be realism for the guns themselves. Players should be choosing the M16 over the AK47 because they need long range precision and a lighter weapon, not because it has better stats. But they should be choosing the AK47 over the M16 if they're doing something up close, or if they're going to be subjected to more rugged conditions as the AK47 is a beast of a weapon, very difficult to damage and requiring very little cleaning. 

I'd like a shooter game to immerse me in the guns, as I'd like a racing game to immerse me in the cars, but instead I see shooters shoving gadgets and vehicles at me.

In coop if your teammate goes down and bleeds out, the zombies are able to pick up their weapons and use them on you.  

I'm pretty certain that they couldn't do it, it would complicate the game mechanics too much but I can't tell you how much I'd enjoy seeing zombies shooting back at me.

I imagine how zombie can pick up the weapons and use them on us  :rolleyes:

I imagine how zombie can pick up the weapons and use them on us :rolleyes:

I think allies being able to pick up their dead friend's gun would be better.