Osiris and Mob of The Dead

So Mob of The Dead has a couple Egyptian references, the eye symbol, and Afterlife. Anyways, I was reading up on Osiris, the Egyptian God of The Dead, and found some useful information:

Read the below, and I will explain:

He was commonly depicted as a green (the color of rebirth) or black (alluding to the fertility of the Nile floodplain) complexioned pharaoh, in mummiform (wearing the trappings of mummification from chest downward). He was also depicted rarely as a lunar god with a crown encompassing the moon.

Osiris has been in control the whole time. I am basing what I say next off of BriggzyJ97's brilliant thread, which by the way can be viewed here: http://www.callofdutyzombies.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=100&t=32472

He gained control in the Egyptian days through sacrifices, which powered him more. These sacrifices powered him because he's the ruler or the dead, so the more that he can rule over, of course merits more power. He was summoned again in Alcatraz through the Warden's rituals. Osiris summoned some of the dead from the Underworld to help him claim more lives. When Richtofen touched the MPD, Osiris realized he had the chance to manipulate Richtofen to give him more power. Richtofen began by making the natives in Shangri-La worship him, which in hand of course provided sacrifices. However, Samantha ended up getting in the machine on the Moon accidentaly, and Osiris's power began to fade. Realizing this, he turned Richtofen's focus on making more undead. Richtofen soon had Zombies, which were powered by 115. This did, of course, fill Osiris's Land of The Dead, however, he didn't have the power. The power was going to Samantha instead of him. He could still push through and "speak" through Samantha, but that was about it. So, he got Richtofen to get in control of the Zombies, thus having an indirect rule over the Zombies. Now, he is tricking Richtofen to get the N4 to power towers so that Richtofen will be "kicked out" of the MPD, thus "mending the rift" by leaving him in control as it used to be.

Now, back to Osiris. Check this out:

The myth described Osiris as having been killed by his brother Set, who wanted Osiris' throne. Isis joined the fragmented pieces of Osiris, but the only body part missing was the phallus. Isis fashioned a golden phallus, and briefly brought Osiris back to life by use of a spell that she learned from her father. This spell gave her time to become pregnant by Osiris before he again died. Isis later gave birth to Horus. As such, since Horus was born after Osiris' resurrection, Horus became thought of as a representation of new beginnings and the vanquisher of the evil Set.

I know it's far-fetched, but this reminds me of Maxis. He was killed by his assistant Richtofen, who wanted control of the Zombies AKA throne. Samantha, of course, met her father in the Aether because his soul was sucked in. I believe what relates to the next part is everything was salvaged except for Maxis's physical body. Now, perhaps Sam in Rich's body will defeat Richtofen? Or maybe Takeo? I don't know, but this myth definetly relates to the story. Now, read this:

This aspect of Osiris was referred to as Banebdjedet, which is grammatically feminine (also spelt "Banebded" or "Banebdjed"), literally "the ba of the lord of the djed, which roughly means The soul of the lord of the pillar of stability. The djed, a type of pillar, was usually understood as the backbone of Osiris.

Hmm... feminine... Samantha anyone? Also, I remember reading a user who said that they saw most of the rituals on pillars and were wondering why. Well it's because he's the soul of stability.

The Nile, supplying water, and Osiris (strongly connected to the vegetation) who died only to be resurrected, represented continuity and stability.

What does this remind you of? Osiris is having the prisoners go through what he did: Continuity. He wants them to feel what it was like for him. Now, look as this little tid-bit:

Ba does not mean "soul" in the western sense, and has to do with power, reputation, force of character, especially in the case of a god.

See? Osiris wanted power in his ba, AKA his soul, but he was very power-hungry. So, he got Richtofen to bring him power.

Diodorus Siculus gives another version of the myth in which Osiris was described as an ancient king who taught the Egyptians the arts of civilization, including agriculture, then travelled the world with his sister Isis, the satyrs, and the nine muses, before finally returning to Egypt. Osiris was then murdered by his evil brother Typhon, who was identified with Set. Typhon divided the body into twenty-six pieces, which he distributed amongst his fellow conspirators in order to implicate them in the murder. Isis and Hercules (Horus) avenged the death of Osiris and slew Typhon. Isis recovered all the parts of Osiris' body, except the phallus, and secretly buried them. She made replicas of them and distributed them to several locations, which then became centres of Osiris worship.

The 9 muses. Hmm... a muse is a period of reflection, maybe a dying moment, hence the phrase "A cat has 9 lives?". I don't know, I'm probably going off on a limb there. Now, for the second part, think about body parts that stood out on maps. There's the hand in TranZit. There's a foot (I saw it in Theater) under a bed on Mob of The Dead. Also, I saw earlier on the page a version of the myth in which stated the wife made a golden phallus, which btw I wouldn't look up. Anyways, since this is a body part for worship, perhaps this is the golden rod? Idk, sounds a little perverted, but oh well. It is what it is.

At death a person faced judgment by a tribunal of forty-two divine judges. If they led a life in conformance with the precepts of the goddess Ma'at, who represented truth and right living, the person was welcomed into the kingdom of Osiris. If found guilty, the person was thrown to a "devourer" and didn't share in eternal life.

Hmm... a Devourer, I'm thinking Cerburus? AKA the 3 dogs on Mob of the dead. The Zombies are entering the Afterlife and are going through the test, and they can't pass cause they have no souls, so of course they are eaten.

Now, I know it's confusing and doesn't relate that much, but I hope you found the connections!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good researching here Speedo! You definitely know how to find those connections back to the storyline.

This just seems to add on even more evidence really that Treyarch is simply mixing traits of many versions of gods of death.

Satan

Osiris

Hades

Mictlantecuhtli

Yes, exactly. They are taking concepts from many different religions and cultures and mixing them into zombies.

Ever seen that show Ancient Aliens? About how much of religion and culture actually came from extraterrestrials who visited Earth in ancient times? I kind of look at the power that Richtofen has as an ancient power or entity of sorts, that future religions and cultures (like the Egyptians mentioned in this OP) would base their beliefs on. Kinda the same concept.

• Administrators

The font color really hurt my eyes, but I managed to read through it with a bit of altering (copying and pasting into Notepad, haha). Needless to say, this is well thought out and interesting! As TheVyhl said, there seems to be a great amount of connections between each mythological/theological/ancient form of death in a God-like form. The more we learn about these, the more pieces that come together to see why certain elements are present inside Mob of the Dead.

Keep up the good work, friendo. :)

First of all very well done linking all of these parts together.

Secondly I couldn't help laughing at the part about the golden phallus/rod. All of those kids playing COTD shouting "I've got the golden rod" :lol:

Thirdly I like how the connection between Osiris/Set and Maxis/Richtofen. That part sounds way good to be not true or it must be partly true.

Finally. Brilliant, really. No surely not, really. Really, oh ok if you insist ;)

Seriously though, you don't know how happy that makes me.

The font color really hurt my eyes, but I managed to read through it with a bit of altering (copying and pasting into Notepad, haha). Needless to say, this is well thought out and interesting! As TheVyhl said, there seems to be a great amount of connections between each mythological/theological/ancient form of death in a God-like form. The more we learn about these, the more pieces that come together to see why certain elements are present inside Mob of the Dead.

Keep up the good work, friendo. :)

I just highlight the paragraphs with my mouse :lol:

Interesting read, look forward to seeing more come from this.