The hidden song enigma

Ok so we know theres going to be zombies in the next black ops two, but one little fact has been worrying me sense the end of moon....

No song...

At the end of almost all the zombie maps, the hidden song of the next game plays....but on moon there is no song...

At first I thought for a few horrifying months that this was the end of zombies...

But then they announced zombies and my hope was mostly restored!

This leaves me to think of three possibilitys...:

1: The music was omitted to add to the suspense of dying on moon, (I for one was scared stiff when I died there...)

2: The next song wasnt desided/ wasn't recorded yet for the next zombies game and they couldn't add it into the last map due to time issues.... If this is the case they MAY patch it at some point but IDK...

And the most horrifying one: 3 there will be no hidden song in the next map...

I REALY hope it's not 3, I enjoy the songs and use them sort of as a super motivator to go rampaging through zombies... I can proudly say I have never died why the song was playing, and I REALY hope they return!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nobody knows yet if they'll have Elena Siegman and Kevin Sherwood doing the tracks. But we DO know that Trent Reznor will be heavily involved with Black Ops 2's soundtrack. Oh there WILL be hidden tracks in zombies again. Mark my words. But by who. At first I thought zombies couldn't work with any other composer besides Sherwood and Siegman, but when I found out Reznor was doing the music I felt better. Just think Nine Inch Nails meets CoD zombies. That's some heavy duty stuff right there.

Honestly, I think it's just cause they haven't done the song for the next map yet. It's really the most logical explanation. I know Der Riese had 115 play during Game Over, but that's because they had already started writing 115 because Kino was originally intended to be in WaW. The devs knew that Moon would be the last Black Ops map, so the new song wasn't written yet.

I think it would be cool if they added a patch to Black Ops where it does play a song at the end of Moon. Give us something to freak out about ;)

Honestly if the new Blops 2 map has no hidden song I'll be contempt. If you think about it, it would be so much scarier without scream-o in your ear. And I would love a new outro screen once you die with some scary ass dialog.

Rictofen: "Fetch me the player's souls!!! Hahahaha!!! Death to all"

I would freak if I heard that at the end with no music...

I read that as sarcastic, but if you are serious, my question is WHY? There is no point in NOT making a song for the map that will have the longest development time and have the biggest gap to other dlc. People love finding the songs, people enjoy listening to the songs, people like hiding how to activate the songs, and we like to analyze the songs. As a developer you don't just say, "hey, let's take out this thing that everyone loves for the sake of doing it!" You just don't do that. Because If people like stuff, you put it in the next game. Because you only get one chance to get things right until DLC comes out.

Let's then speak of how little resources are needed.

Good song lyrics can be written in under half an hour, if you get on a roll.

Music comes next. This can be written in a few weeks or less (depending on the song's length and how much time these people have, which, considering this is their job, they have allt)

Flying Elena into record and sending her back: 1 day (Sherwood has stated in a questionnaire that this is the hardest part)

Recording vocals -5 minutes ("FIRST TAKE LIKE A MOTHER******!")

Recording drum machine and instrumental: An hour or two.

Mixing: I'm not familiar with this process.

Most of this done by one person or a small team. A team that doesn't even work on building the game.

Next you have to recycle the code that lets you activate it and hide the rocks in plain sight. (they probably spread have spots made on the map beforehand idlf they're smart). How long do you think that takes.

So you have a grand total of 4-5 days max. And a few hours max from the actual development team.

I was just saying that you lose the affect of that scary feeling whenever rock music is blasting in your ear. Whenever I play Kino now a days it feels like I should be playing the Expendables and blowing up people and jumping out of planes.

If they ever do add music to the new maps I hope to god it sounds scary. I want to fear zombies again. Not feel brave enough to eradicate them in the coolest way possible.

Honestly if the new Blops 2 map has no hidden song I'll be contempt. If you think about it, it would be so much scarier without scream-o in your ear. And I would love a new outro screen once you die with some scary ass dialog.

Then why don't you just not turn on the song?

Then why don't you just not turn on the song?

I can't control my friends actions or otherwise I wouldn't turn on the song all the time. Don't get me wrong I love the music! I'm just wanting something different and scarier from Treyarch.

Metal can't be atmospheric no matter how hard it tries. It's just not built for it. Gothic or classical would be good choices if you want atmosphere. Actually yes. PUT CLASSICAL MUSIC INTO THE GAME! Or at least something like this:

That would be really cool if that kind of music played during certain rounds. Maybe dog rounds or something. But for a hidden track, I'd like to hear a full length song, with lyrics and the works. Wouldn't it be cool if Trent Rezner, Elena Siegman and Kevin Sherwood, AND Avenged Sevenfold got together for one massive track? Maybe for Black Ops 2 zombies final DLC map they could have an epic collaboration for a zombie track. That would be rad.

I read to the part about that Avenged thing and stopped reading.

NO.

lol the reason I added them into the mix is because they had two songs for the CoD zombies. So with the introduction of Trent Reznor in the zombie world, it would only be fitting that they be involved in the mega epic finale song. But without offending any Avenged Sevenfold fans, I have to agree with you. They were my least favorite part of finding hidden songs in zombies. Not a fan of their music. But I'm also not a fan of screamo and I loved Elena and Kevin's work in zombies. So who knows, if all these guys got together for an epic collaboration track for the last DLC zombies map for BO2..it could be the greatest thing you've ever heard blowing your mind andcausing your brains to leak out of your ears while your pants to fill up with a brown mashed potato-like substance. Don't knock it until you try it..or in this case, heard it.

NO.

lol the reason I added them into the mix is because they had two songs for CoD zombies. So with the introduction of Trent Reznor in the zombie world, it would only be fitting that they be involved in the mega epic finale song. But without offending any Avenged Sevenfold fans, I have to agree with you. They were my least favorite part of finding hidden songs in zombies. Not a fan of their music. But I'm also not a fan of screamo and I loved Elena and Kevin's work in zombies. So who knows, if all these guys got together for an epic collaboration track for the last DLC zombies map for BO2..it could be the greatest thing you've ever heard blowing your mind andcausing your brains to leak out of your ears while your pants to fill up with a brown mashed potato-like substance. Don't knock it until you try it..or in this case, heard it.

NO.

lol the reason I added them into the mix is because they had two songs for CoD zombies. So with the introduction of Trent Reznor in the zombie world, it would only be fitting that they be involved in the mega epic finale song. But without offending any Avenged Sevenfold fans, I have to agree with you. They were my least favorite part of finding the hidden tracks in zombies. Not a fan of their music. But I'm also not a fan of screamo, and I loved Elena and Kevin's work in zombies. So who knows, if all these guys got together for an epic collaboration track for the last zombies map DLC for BO2..it could be the greatest thing you've ever heard, blowing your mind and causing your brains to leak out of your ears, while your pants to fill up with a brown mashed potato-like substance. Don't knock it until you try it..or in this case, heard it.

I actually loved Avenged Sevenfold's contributions to the zombies music. I think they should do another song. I also think Disturbed would be a cool choice.

But other than that, just keep Elena doing the songs. Not only is it exactly the right sound, but it's a zombies tradition. They strayed from that tradition in "Five" when they put in an Eminem song (which wasn't even recorded for the game, unlike Not Ready to Die) and I just thought it was awful. I mean, it's OK I guess, I'd just rather hear Elena.

One more thing: if you want a more "scary" sounding song, go to Call of the Dead, leave a crawler, and just listen to the background. There's a background song playing quietly in every map. Kino and "Five" had Damned playing, etc. Call of the Dead's was mostly some wind blowing with a haunting piano thrown in every once in a while. Actually, here's a video:

Music this creepy should be in the background of EVERY zombies map.

Honestly, I think it's just cause they haven't done the song for the next map yet. It's really the most logical explanation. I know Der Riese had 115 play during Game Over, but that's because they had already started writing 115 because Kino was originally intended to be in WaW. The devs knew that Moon would be the last Black Ops map, so the new song wasn't written yet.

I think it would be cool if they added a patch to Black Ops where it does play a song at the end of Moon. Give us something to freak out about ;)

^This. It's by far the most logical explanation if you look at the facts.

Der Riese had 115 at the end because Kino was a World At War map. Treyarch started working on the map after Der Riese, but never released Map Pack 4 because it would have been released at the same time as Modern Warfare 2. So they just converted the Map Pack 4-content to Black Ops.

When Rezurrection was announced, there was a lot of talk about "ending Black Ops in a spectacular way" in the trailer released by Treyarch and at the CodXP panel. I remember one of the guys at CodXP explaining that they were working on "Zombie_Paris", but the setting wasn't crazy enough for a final map. (They never said if they meant the final Black Ops 1 Zombie-map or the final Zombie-map ever.) One guy asked: "Is this the end of Zombies?" and all the Treyarch guys said was: "Do you think it's the end?". Maybe Treyarch didn't have any Zombie-plans for their next game at that time.

Anyway, the whole point of not having a song was to make people think it was the end of Zombies, or at least the end of Zombies in Black Ops 1.

There will be an easter egg song in the next map because:

- All maps except the original Nacht der Untoten in World at War had one, so it's a "tradition".

- Reznor is working on the game. Why would Treyarch let his talent go to waste?

- Sherwood is still on the team (I think). Why would Treyarch let his talent go to waste?

They strayed from that tradition in "Five" when they put in an Eminem song (which wasn't even recorded for the game, unlike Not Ready to Die) and I just thought it was awful. I mean, it's OK I guess, I'd just rather hear Elena.
I remember hearing that for the first time, thinking "Why am I hearing Eminem and Pink?" It was so out-of-place to have that song in a map where you kill Zombies in the Pentagon, with Fidel Castro and Kennedy talking in the background.

One more thing: if you want a more "scary" sounding song, go to Call of the Dead, leave a crawler, and just listen to the background. There's a background song playing quietly in every map. Kino and "Five" had Damned playing, etc. Call of the Dead's was mostly some wind blowing with a haunting piano thrown in every once in a while.

Music this creepy should be in the background of EVERY zombies map.

The song was scary but the fact that George was always laughing in the background unless you killed him really took away any sort of fear. The music is also too ambient in my opinion, it should have been slightly louder. Verrückt had some creepy music aswell, in my opinion. I remember hearing people screaming in the background at random times while playing Verrückt, which creeped my out a little bit. It would've been scarier if it was a bit louder and Zombies were more unpredictable (and even faster), though. I'm not a guy that gets scared easily but if Treyarch did that, I might have actually pissed my pants the first time playing Verrückt. It would have made the whole "Abandoned Nazi Asylum" thing a lot creepier.

I loved "Not Ready to Die" one of my favorite songs in the series and one of my biggest analysis post here :) And I hope they bring them back to record more songs, but would like Kevin and Elena back ;)

Regards Yellow-card8

Agreed, I love ax7 and if my calculations are correct, there should be more songs by them in the near future, if songs by ax7 are sung when richtofen is not a playable charracter (cotd he's in the bacement and moon he's in the mpd) then the next map plus some should be using ax7 too, until richtofen becomes a playable charracter again, then it should switch back to eleigna, of course that could happen in the first map or the 2nd or even the last! Im pretty sure it will happen early on though so Elian fans shouldn't worry much...