NML: Is It a Separate Game-Mode Altogether?

Some very good points here.

As Chopper put very well, NML teaches you the ability to recover and adapt. Tom and I have discussed this before in conversation and on the forums, that he isn't at all comfortable running around without Jugg whereas to me it's not much of a problem. In fact, it sometimes makes me play better because I'm more alert and less lazy. Though the odd double-slap is unavoidable :lol:

Of course, No Man's Land can't teach you to get to round 100. It'll certainly help you stay alive, but there's a sense of strategy and ammo management that's needed at 80+ that you can only get from experience.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

NML has given me some pretty insane reflexes and makes me think that I can get out of pretty much any situation that presents itself. Some downs on solo especially can be particularly brutal. COTD is one of the worse maps to go down on solo as it can be a real shit fuck to get back from.

Agreed. COTD, Der reise, Five and Moon are perfect examples for someone benefiting from NML when they are playing solo. High round recovery on those maps for solo is unforgiving especially in maps that don't have power weapons or monkeys.

And that's why, in my humble opinion, NML is in a class of its own. You can rock at solo games, rock at co op, and be ass at NML.

-perfect

If you can get 280+ in NML you can definitely get 50 both solo and co-op, on most maps.

If you can get 100 solo and 50 co-op on Kino, that doesn't mean you can get 280+ kills in NML.

That is the main difference :)

I like to think this is true, 20 rounds regular zombies (not nacht or Dead ops) can not compare to 10 minutes in NML. The skill and tactics (not to mention the luck) required to get a high score is supremly higher. Granted I'm biased :lol: but I love both versions, NML and regular zombies. Ive hit 50 (moon) and 300+ in NML (on my record i had 8 shots left) and NML deffinetly takes more skill, and increases your skill in regular zombies :D

If you can get 280+ in NML you can definitely get 50 both solo and co-op, on most maps.

I am going to disagree with that. solo may be, co-op Not really. That's a different ball game.

This is true, I think the thing that seperates solo from co-op is the ability to pause :D

Which may not sound like much it makes a big deal, when in fact it is. Trying to do the barrier glitch thing (where you repair it without getting downed) can be difficult, if not time consuming and annoying. Solo takes less patience, I think ;)

I am going to disagree with that. solo may be, co-op Not really. That's a different ball game.

This is true, I think the thing that seperates solo from co-op is the ability to pause :D

Which may not sound like much it makes a big deal, when in fact it is. Trying to do the barrier glitch thing (where you repair it without getting downed) can be difficult, if not time consuming and annoying. Solo takes less patience, I think ;)

I was going to say co-op is more about patience and would require high level reviving skills in order to survive.Simply knowing how to train is not enough. It always get bit challenging when a person with the magic stick dies out.

co-op is more about patience and would require high level reviving skills in order to survive.Simply knowing how to train is not enough. It always get bit challenging when a person with the magic stick dies out.

My thoughts exactly. As I always say, 2 players in co-op that have a good revival strategy and reviving skills, always hold the ability to go as far as they like. For example, myself and Tom often find ourselves giving up the game from boredom rather than ending by accident. Myself and my best friend however is a different story; he's a decent player, but lacks reviving skills... so if I go down, 50% chance it's game over.

I am going to disagree with that. solo may be, co-op Not really. That's a different ball game

I was going to say co-op is more about patience and would require high level reviving skills in order to survive.Simply knowing how to train is not enough. It always get bit challenging when a person with the magic stick dies out.

You know what Way you are right with this. It is a slightly different skill set and that statement was wrong.

Generally though most really good NML players are also going to be good co-op players, maybe not all the youtube stars but certainly the group within CODZ :D

I will apply this to NML training though - the high runs require extremely quick hoard control in a real tight spot into a real little ball.

For a high level revive this is key, getting that train in potentially a nasty spot, getting them away and then getting the revive. Obviously co-op is a lot more than that, but NML can definitely improve your co-op play as well.

Good example would be Ascension, MPL door open seperate train strategy. Player 2 is kiting loosely too near the door and goes down. Player 1 is mid kite and suddenly has some nasty swarm coming in from the door. I think NML would help in this situation as you are used to dealing with clumps, followed by 1 or 2, etc.

I completely understand what you are saying here...

I will apply this to NML training though - the high runs require extremely quick hoard control in a real tight spot into a real little ball.

For a high level revive this is key, getting that train in potentially a nasty spot, getting them away and then getting the revive. Obviously co-op is a lot more than that, but NML can definitely improve your co-op play as well.

In 2 player most co-op games you would be perked up and can kill any zombies on sight if they stop you from reviving. But horde control is always an extra skill that can help you in high rounds when zombies spawn too quick.

In lower rounds if u shoot a horde and go down when one zombie kills you then thats a different situation, zombies won't come to you as quick and you need a different strategy. This is where you wanna make use of weapons like mustang and sally or tactical items like monkeys or gersches. The complexity of reviving goes up when its 3 players or more because of zombie distribution.

I am not very good at NML, I suck at it. But If you ask me to revive you with any weapon set I have at any given map any time. I would get you 9 out of ten times. And if I don't I would quit zombies. That's my Word :)

However, let me say this, NML is the only game mode where both the above skills are directly tested against time. You cannot perform in NML to the high level that we all hope to reach, or have reached in some cases, without concentrating and kiting under the ultimate pressure: time. Time is the universal stress factor in our lives; it is that which intrinsically symbolizes pressure, decay, and the essence of progress. In order to progress our actions, time is necessary and flows irregardless of failure or success. In No Man's Land, we are fighting against time to progress to PAP our pistol, to progress to getting Juggernog, to progress to achieving as high a kill total as possible.

[tab][/tab]We must rush to achieve these things, and playing a game mode where your concentration, dodging, and kiting abilities are tested equates to an extremely difficult situation. And yet, there are two sides to this coin: we must rush and be prudent in our decisions. When one simply rushes into the zombies and plays it as a mere speed run, that is when he fails this challenge. This challenge requires the pure instinct and conditioning to survive amplified conditions, that when placed next to the hands of time, fuse together to create a sickeningly challenging, addicting, and rewarding gaming experience. No, we are not content to just survive, but we seek to thrive in this environment. And it is only then, only when you realize that when time, not zombies, is your greatest enemy, you will realize exactly how much skill and determination it requires to successfully conquer the barren plain of dusty death that is No Man's Land.

Tom and I have discussed this before in conversation and on the forums, that he isn't at all comfortable running around without Jugg whereas to me it's not much of a problem.

Absolutely true. Just have a look at my Ascension Speed Run guide where I go down. 3 Gershes, straight out, till I have QR and Jug back.

My point is now just, when I play like that, in what way did I need NoJug skills?? My Gershes are my protectors. Of course you'll say, that if I was out of gershes, I would have needed it. But even I can handle to lead a max train away (also in maps that have the respawn feature when you leave your train) and have eventually a free path to my beloved Jugger. I don't like doing it, but I don't need to "waste (?)" 100 hours on NML for that.