Problems w/ Shangri-La Time Period (UPDATED)

Tac

• Administrators

So! In the Call of the Dead Easter Egg, we hear them say they went to far into the future, so that would mean they would go back in time correct? If they are just coming from Ascension, then it would be likely to assume it is between Ascension and CoTD.

According to the trailer, they have their clean uniforms, Richtofen no longer has his cut on his cheek from Ascension, and Takeo has a mustache he didn't have in Ascension. The uniforms are from Kino der Toten, implying it is between Kino and Ascension.

If Shangri-La IS between Kino and Ascension, that would mean CoTD is also since they came to Shangri-La from CoTD. Given the characters we play as (Tejo, etc.) it doesn't make sense to be in the 70's-ish.

It seems to me that there are many opportunities here for it to be many different time periods. Given that many think it's between Ascension and CoTD, I can't see that they changed clothes, grew a stache, and healed a wound. That doesn't sound likely. Please post where you feel this ranks. This post was just to show the contradictions presented in the timeline, please comment!

*EDIT* Ok so I think I have it down. Given the outfits, injuries etc. I believe I have it. We know they had to go to Kino from Der Riese. So the went from DR to Kino, to CoTD, then to S-L, and up to Ascension. That fits with quotes made, and them changing clothes!

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wouldn't make sense for them to go from a place they haven't been to a place they've already been.

Granted, the outfits and such may not make sense, but I think, chronologically, It would probably go something like this;

DR to Kino, Kino to Ascension, Ascension to CotD, CotD to Shangri-La.

Disregard the ACTUAL time period these maps all take place, this seems like the right CHRONOLOGICAL order.

Well maybe Takeo has the mustache growing powers OF THE EMPORAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

In all honesty I'm still not convinced Ascension even happened, like Twilight Zone stuff. Think of every virtual simulation/test/dream of ever heard of. The people are never exact to what they look like and who they are. Which is why they seem to be behind their backs a lost in the map and they have Facebook pages.

• Administrators

Wouldn't make sense for them to go from a place they haven't been to a place they've already been.

Granted, the outfits and such may not make sense, but I think, chronologically, It would probably go something like this;

Disregard the ACTUAL time period these maps all take place, this seems like the right CHRONOLOGICAL order.

See I think it goes DR to Kino, Kino to CoTD, CoTD to SL, SL to Ascension

See I think it goes DR to Kino, Kino to CoTD, CoTD to SL, SL to Ascension

God damn it, the gersch quote already!

Actually, Zombieofthedead got it right.

When you do the CotD easter egg, Tank makes a mention of Gersch, aka the Death Machine Easter Egg form Ascension, before they teleport off the map. Therefor the order of events would be as I stated:

Doesn't matter what time period the maps actually take place, we're speaking of the chronological order of events in our story.

• Administrators

Actually, Zombieofthedead got it right.

When you do the CotD easter egg, Tank makes a mention of Gersch, aka the Death Machine Easter Egg form Ascension, before they teleport off the map. Therefor the order of events would be as I stated:

Doesn't matter what time period the maps actually take place, we're speaking of the chronological order of events in our story.

Me to, I'm not speaking about when there necessarily, more about the story. But there is no way Shangri-La is after Asvension, just not possible.

• Administrators

Me to, I'm not speaking about when there necessarily, more about the story. But there is no way Shangri-La is after Asvension, just not possible.

Clothes again? No offense dude, but that isn't a legit reason, even with the lack of scratches. It is possible, but we aren't sure still.

How is it not legit? They don't change the clothing around for it to mean nothing!

• Administrators

It has to be, simply because of the CotD quote about Girsch. Ascension had to literally come after CotD and Shangri-La. I mean, even the "Send the crew to Paradise" achievement name should be proof enough.

The ach is no proof, they can time travel, so they can easily have been before Ascension. Given the things seen, Ascension can't be before S-L, even Alpha agrees with me

Clothes again? No offense dude, but that isn't a legit reason, even with the lack of scratches. It is possible, but we aren't sure still.

How is it not legit? They change the clothing around for it to mean nothing!

Well, what I meant not legit by was that it isn't a legit reason to say it's impossible, which you did say. It could very well take place after ascension, regardless of appearence.

Why, cause of the clothes?

Then if Ascension comes AFTER Shangri-La, how is Tank making a reference to Gersch in CotD?

it doesn't make sense, story wise, to go from a place they haven't been yet to a place they've already been, even if the clothes do change around.

Even the names of the maps should be proof enough, Ascension shouldn't come AFTER Paradise, you can't even GET to Paradise without Ascending to it!

• Administrators

Why, cause of the clothes?

Then if Ascension comes AFTER Shangri-La, how is Tank making a reference to Gersch in CotD?

it doesn't make sense, story wise, to go from a place they've already been to a place they haven't been yet, even if the clothes do change around.

There's proof both ways, each of which convincing to the people saying it. We'll have wait and see.

you mean there's an opinion and an educated fact going both ways right?

Appearances alone can't be the only argument.

I mean, when the appearance of the 115 Tattoo on Frank Woods in the SP came, people assumed, based on Frank's new tattoo, that he would be one of the playable characters in the next map, which was quickly shot down when the Ascension trailer was released.

you mean there's an opinion and an educated fact going both ways right?

Appearances alone can't be the only argument.

I mean, when the appearance of the 115 Tattoo on Frank Woods in the SP came, people assumed, based on Frank's new tattoo, that he would be one of the playable characters in the next map, which was quickly shot down when the Ascension trailer was released.

Well, technically both are opinions until the map releases, but our reasoning is a bit better.

ive got a theory (that goes with my other post) what if Richtofen was planning to Use the Soyuz Rocket to leave the planet? hence why only Richtofen was wearing a spacesuit (hes wants off the planet and he doesnt plan on taking the team with him)

now if thats the case, he either didnt go on the rocket because

1. It was already ready and being set up for launch

or

2. (more likely) because of Gersh, he realized people can be freed from the Aether / Casimir mechanism could control the Aether itself and he changed his plans then to build his own (Richtofen helped fix the Casimir mechanism step by step so could easily build his own, and if he didnt, im sure the Diary would provide all he needed to know)

It's a possible theory i suppose, although I kind of realized something just the other day.

Richtofan isn't techincally wearing a "space" suit in Ascension. Space suits are huge and bulky and even back then they limited movement by a whole bunch.

Richtofan actually looks like he's wearing a Hazmat suit, similar to the suits you wear when you're playing as Hudson during the invasion of that Ascension Island or w/e in single player, when you have to fight through the Nova Gas.

Now, why is he wearing a Hazmat suit of all things? i have no idea. But, that's besides the point.

My original point is, it wouldn't make a lick of sense to the story if Ascension was after Shangri-La, Tank couldn't have made a reference to Gersch in CotD if the events of Ascension didn't happen, so Ascension has to come before their "accidental" trip to CotD and then Shangri-La would come next.

For those saying that the quote Dempsey makes is reason enough that CotD takes place AFTER Ascension, do realize that Treyarch is known for breaking the 4th wall... IE: Dempsey says: "Come on Treyarch, give us a new objective!" Or something along those lines. I think this is another case of breaking the 4th wall. When the reward for completing the Gersch EE was just 90 Second Death Machines, there were HUGEEEE complaints from Zombies fans, and even people from this site. Treyarch decided that the reward for the EE would have to be the DG2 and put in that Dempsey quote to mock the total failure of the EE in Ascension.

^That's just what I think.

As for the Clothes.

I think that Ascension can take place in different time periods. There are arguments for every single possibility. I do however have to say, that this map has to happen AFTER Der Riese, because that's when they time travel for the first time.

1. The Clothes- They imply that Ascension takes place LATER in the storyline.

2. Getting the first part of Richtofens Device- Implies that this map comes AFTER Kino, but before CotD.

3. Total WTFery of the map and characters (Clean uniforms, No scratches)- implies that this map never even happened.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

An interesting argument I don't see being made is this:

Why is Richtofen the only one that looks younger on Ascension?

I have an idea.

Perhaps there are TWO Richtofens. Wait wait. Hear me out now guys. As we've seen in Kino, inside Sam's play room, she has models of every character correct? Then it wouldn't be hard for her to introduce ANOTHER one. So maybe while they were time traveling from DR to Kino, a 2nd Richtofen was created, and teleported immediately to Ascension. Then, when the crew teleported from Kino to Ascension, the original Richtofen was teleported into the closet in CotD, and waited there by himself until the other 3 characters were teleported there.

^This is HIGHLY unlikely, but I'm just thinking out loud here. :P

See the thing is, me/TacInsert/whoever else back the clothing while you/whoever else back the Gersch quote. IMHO at this point it does depend on how you see the Gersch quote. I know I may sound hypocritical but Tank of all people breaks the 4th wall more than anyone. Visible, Obvious clothing seems more apparent to the timeline than a quote that MAY spell out the timeline.

See the thing is, me/TacInsert/whoever else back the clothing while you/whoever else back the Gersch quote. IMHO at this point it does depend on how you see the Gersch quote. I know I may sound hypocritical but Tank of all people breaks the 4th wall more than anyone. Visible, Obvious clothing seems more apparent to the timeline than a quote that MAY spell out the timeline.

Can we seriously just wait till it comes out? it isn't very easy to tell right now, so we really should just wait.

• Administrators

Lol ya. Between the appearance and the quote, things are messed up. I hope 3arc knows how to make this all work in the end. Let's hope they don't end up going, "SHIT! We should not have put that in there earlier, because nothing will make sense and we can't fix it."