Workbenches and you

In DE, there are 3 workbenches, and 2 craftable items.

Bench 1: above Double Tap 2, wundersphere hallway.

Bench 2: pyramid room (undercroft), straight across from dragon head.

Bench 3: in the church (mission control), right of dragon head.

Well, the Ragnarok location doesn't matter as long as it can be made and grabbed once. 

So it comes down to where to build the Shield.

Generally, in random games, i get a mix of 'pyramid' and 'church', never above dt2.

I find the pyramid room itself to be very safe, but often, getting there from the camping or training locale is harder than getting to the church location. Whereas the church is quite often the closer option, but getting in and out of the church is often slightly more dangerous. 

Solo, i usually run the clock tower parapet most, followed by the church courtyard, so church is my go to spot for shield. 

But if i were to decide to do the wundersphere camp, i might build it above dt2, and if i want to run pyramid or the area by the column down there, i would likely build the shield there as well. 

MP zombies; ask around what others like, or if you plan to team camp and place it accordingly. Let the terrible noobs have it their way; the more likely they are to have the shield, the less that you will be picking them up (unless you need the xp).

I hear noobs who can't find the Shield or Ragnarok, so at least you know where they might be built now. 

Thoughts? Opinions? Strategies?

Happy gaming! 

It all comes down to where you decide to train. The Ragnarok DG-4 should be built as far away from where you are running those trains.

Myself, I prefer to run trains on the Bastion, at the Death Ray. I find it's the best location, aside from the courtyard as it has 3 exits, a Wundersphere to escape quickly, the Death Ray to kill everything trying to kill you and a Workbench above Double Tap 2.0, which is where I build the Shield. I place it there because if my shield breaks, I can run down to the Shield, equip it and use the Wundersphere to escape back to the Bastion. The only problem is the lack of a Wall-Buy, which can really hinder you in the higher rounds. It isn't a problem though, just spam the Bow on your way to get to whatever Wall-Buy you are looking for.

Basically I build the shield as closely to my training spot as possible. Undercroft bench if I'm down there, Church bench if I'm in the courtyard and above Double Tap if I'm on the Bastion.

• Like 1

I don't like the low gravity, so I avoid that place as much as possible. 

On solo, I build the Shield in the church and if I build them, the gravity spikes go above double tap.

On co-op, I'd rather build the shield above double tap. This is where some people may not find it at first, but here's the reason for it. 

No one trains in that area, so if others barge in to grab a shield they won't run their zombies into someone else. If someone is camping on the jump pad, they can happily join camping. 

The spikes go wherever. Although I'd still prefer the church, building it next to the pyramid could look good for when you do the Easter Egg. 

Too bad you can't really do the whips step by your own in co-op. 

It would be fun to be like: Hey come here, grab this and spike that tile for me will ya? 

• Like 1

Dopp, i like that strat, but i always feel stressed at the death ray.

I run the Parapet, closest to the clock tower. If solo, or nobody passes through from Bastion or the clock tower in mp, then all zombies come up the steps or out of the clock tower. Basically they all come from one spot. You can camp there early (stand against the clock tower wall and headshot). A curved figure 8 run and you rarely even get slapped. Ragnarok can completely close their only approach. If pinched, simply go to Bastion (as no zombies come from that way unless a player comes from there), go to WS above DT2, fling back to Parapet.

Which now makes me realize that that workbench (dt2) would be the best for me for the shield. Thanks, i don't know why i never figured that.

---

Koslans, that is a good reason to build the Shield above DT2. Excellent advice. Even if someone is doing the WS camp method there, you wouldn't really hurt them if you came in for a shield (to be fair, the WS camp method is not very common).

----

While I agree with both reasons for the DT2 shield location: In a counter argument to the 'folk getting a shield, drag a train through your area', I would say that pyramid room players shouldn't really be affected since there is so much room (speaking from experience of training with others passing through), and besides me, i never see anyone who wants to train in church. Camp the steps, yes, but only i run trains in the church in my experience. Heh. :)

8 hours ago, 83457 said:

Dopp, i like that strat, but i always feel stressed at the death ray.

I run the Parapet, closest to the clock tower. If solo, or nobody passes through from Bastion or the clock tower in mp, then all zombies come up the steps or out of the clock tower. Basically they all come from one spot. You can camp there early (stand against the clock tower wall and headshot). A curved figure 8 run and you rarely even get slapped. Ragnarok can completely close their only approach. If pinched, simply go to Bastion (as no zombies come from that way unless a player comes from there), go to WS above DT2, fling back to Parapet.

Which now makes me realize that that workbench (dt2) would be the best for me for the shield. Thanks, i don't know why i never figured that.

I definitely suggest trying to run the Bastion. It is a little overrun by zombie spawns, but once you learn the intricacies, it becomes second nature. I run it Counter-Clockwise. But you can run it either way. There's a small area out the back, to the left of the Pack-a-Punch, where if you get overrun from zombies coming from the Parapet, you can double back and save yourself a heap of ammunition and grief. 

I train everywhere on the map, but I've yet to find a location with that amount of ways to escape.

I just checked the Bastion out again (now that the 360 hyperslappers were patched), it's much nicer now. I don't mind busy, but it was just too many hits there before the patch. 

Even as high as 50ish, i was surprised at how easy the column area in the undercroft is, below the dog bow wall run spot. Keep between the column, GG machine, and pap for the most part. Lots of escape routes*.

Circle the Ragnarok if it's active, as opposed to the Parapet strategy, where it's more like an impenetrable wall (I literally just stand there). 

*2-4 player game: if you use the free lift from here to the courtyard, be sure to aim down with a charged shot ready in case a crowd of zombies is where you would land. 

I train everywhere also. Mixing it up keeps it more fun and you learn better the zombie movements of the entire map.

I always build mines in the Church as I find camping in their to be easiest so far but I was trying a few camp spots over in the armour room and if I stuck with that then building the shield about Double Tap would probably be best. Might even work out better to camp the launch pad about Double Tap as you have the pad as an escape route, fast spawn in rate and the shield at hand. Not tried it out yet myself though but it does seem like it could be a good strat.

• Like 1

So my post seems to have been lost during the downtime so... here I go again :D

I like to build the shield in the church if I'm playing solo cause it's the closest location as I train in the courtyard.

If I'm playing co-op with my brother we buiuld it next to the pyramid since both of us can go grap it without messing up each others trains.

Ragnarok location doesn't matter since you need to grap it once.

• Like 1

If I'm camping by the Wundersphere near Void Bow's arrow, or training down at the rocket, I'll place the Shield at the location. Nearly every other time it'll be down by the pyramid just because I find myself in that area more often than not. If it's a Public Match or Private, it's usually in the church as most people want it there.

• Like 1

I was trying the DT2 shield build and i found that it was annoying in the early game, while doing set up, but worked for the late game. In the intermediate rounds (building bows and such), it is annoying to get over there without flinging over to it and i didn't want to spend the points. 

I think i just need to get familiar with it.