Anticipation for a Zombie map: Whats your thoughts?

Hello everyone, I made this post because I was going on a trip down memory lane. I was remembering my experiences with Call of Duty Zombies and how I began playing.

First off some background information, I did not own a console like the Xbox 360 or PS3 yet, I had played them at my friends houses like many of us did when we were younger. At my friends one night we got into a few games of MW, I found it so fun. Then a few weeks later MW2 came out and we both took turns playing the campaign (wow I can remember how many times we tried to save Scarecrow on this one mission where he gets killed for seemingly no reason, we did it!) Anyways then skip a few years and Black Ops is released. I played it with my friend again but we didn't play Zombies. In fact we played Nacht on Black Ops as our first map as we didn't truly know about zombies. Thats when I instantly fell in love with it. We then played Kino and Moon which was so fun. Later in the summer I had slipped out of the whole COD thing. I just kind of had real life stuff to do. Thats when I decided I needed something that would keep me interested, a good game and story to follow. I looked up the story to Zombies and managed to learn all the little secrets in it to a point where I was very happy with myself. I then later in the next year actually got an Xbox 360. I played online with a friend who I had known for a long time. We weren't the best but to be honest thats because we enjoyed it. 

Skip to 2012. BO2 was released and with it was... Tranzit. Now the trailers looked so amazing don't get me wrong but I did something I had never done before, when my friend got BO2 I went to his house to try out Tranzit and the Campaign. Now I wasn't really impressed. I was quite let down but we had fun and after going out for a bit and going back to play it late at night we met some cool people on public match who helped us get a few achievements. That is my first run in with being their for a map release and I had kept myself blind to it. I didn't like that so when Die Rise information was being released I couldn't resist but look.

I was ill the day of its release, bare in mined I didn't even have BO2 as I had my friend whom I could play it with. We got in a party on Xbox and were talking as he downloaded it. Then, the intro was uploaded to YouTube. Just wow the way it was done was very cool. It made me happy with zombies again. Samuel and co travel around the world, he is then blackmailed about eating flesh, which I only then realized the implications of, then out of nowhere... Russman is killed! Also by some new looking special zombie! Then as they are going down the elevator I kind of thought to myself, they are going to reset. Then when they died and then reappeared again. I knew I could still keep up with zombies. After watching Live streams of the map I actually learnt the layout.  Anyways later down the line I actually became good at the map by playing at my friends and got BO2. Not long after MotD came out. I have to say I was not as hyped for it as I was Die Rise. To me MotD was a new direction in zombies that interested me but for some reason I didn't exactly care for the hype. Anyways it came out and I was very surprised with how good it was, it was fun. But I honestly ended up going back to Die Rise only 2 weeks later. Me and my friend for some reason missed it. Not that MotD was bad because now its his favorite map and is one of mine but we just did.

Now heres where I had the most fun in Zombies, Buried (Mind Blown). At school me and my friend were talking to someone else who was very good at zombies who we were going to play with on release. We actually did and had a lot of fun for many weeks. In fact we didn't touch the ghost house until 2 days later (2spooky4me) We never played zombies to just complete everything and be first. we just kept playing our own way for fun. Anyways after 4 weeks it got obvious that Buried was just repetitive, we found fun ways of playing still and even now we call it "our map" because we truly had fun on it, no matter how bad it was it was just fun for us.

Not long after began the hype for Origins. I was at home and a friend who played COD was with me. The Origins teaser was released. I already knew that this map was going to be the O4 and have as I thought one giant robot but wow was I so happy with the trailer. I felt as if my hype levels had gone through the roof. Then the trailer was released which was just amazing and made Origins seem, just so much like Call of Duty Zombies should have been. I then went on holiday to my dads (he lives near beaches and stuff) and while their the Origins intro came out. Yet again hype beyond belief, even with Nikolai's name spelled wrong! When I got home it was time for Origins release. My download was so fast that when I went on to the map it said 8/9. I felt so happy to have Origins so fast where as others had barely started downloading. When others had finished downloading we had so much fun on the map! We got to under Pap so fast that it wasn't true. Thats when I fell in love with Origins as it was such a fun map.

Thats the kind of anticipation I want in 2015. The kind I had with Die Rise, Origins and Buried. I hope I continue to have this kind of anticipation and want to know others experiences with zombie map releases too. Thanks for reading.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's funny, for me Origins was the greatest disappointment of all time.

I'll start from the beginning.

My first experience of zombies was WaW Nacht, I'd finished the campaign and was like what the hell is this!!? I fell in love with it, but I didn't have broadband at the time, so DLC wasn't an option, and there was only so much I could play on the same map on my own.

Skip to Black Ops, and it was the same story, I had Kino and Five, but no DLC or broadband, so again played the hell out of the maps, but slowly got tired of playing the same maps on my own.

When MW3 came out, broadband finally came to my area. I got hooked on multiplayer, so the hype of BO2 for me was unreal. I waited at gamestop from about 10pm till 2am when I finally got served, and rushed home to play the hell out of it. I really wanted to try the new zombies experience too, so whacked Tranzit on. The best description of Tranzit came to me in a random lobby of free for all, of these two guys chatting.

"dude, did you play zombies yet?"

"yeah man, what the hell did they do to it? zombies sucks now! "

But I did enjoy Town and Farm, they reminded me of Kino, Nacht and Five.

But I grew tired of them quickly, and went back to multiplayer. Skip forwards to December, and I heard that Nuketown would be available for free with the Season Pass. I was so happy, I'd watched loads of videos on it and really wanted to play it. January finally came, and I played like crazy. I'd finally been taken over by the zombies spell.

Multiplayer never had the same captivation, and I grew totally obsessed with zombies. I went back to Black Ops and bought all of the DLC.

Back to Origins, when the first teaser came out (the one showing all of the zombies maps in order), I was spell bound, was I really going to be able to play all of the WaW and BO1 maps with futuristic weapons?!

Alas no, when they revealed the Apocalypse dlc to be one zombies map and four multiplayer maps I'd never been so disappointed in my life. How was one map going to keep me playing for the next year?!

I love the hype, and I love the community getting together and finding bits and pieces from the trailers that don't seem to be apparent at all! But sometimes, I had equal times disappointment. The paralyzer in Buried for one. What happened to the new awesome wonder weapon ideas? Instead we had Jetgun Mk 2.

I've waffled on a fair bit, but that just my 2c on the hype and anticipation.

Sent from my D2303 using Tapatalk

My greatest zombies disappointment of all time was when they released Origins. I was SO hype for that map, then It went down the gutter faster then sonic chasing Mario. 

Actually one of the BEST maps for me was buried. I didn't expect ANYTHING from that map, but after it was released it was SO much better then I hoped! 

The lesson to learn from here is to always expect the least from people, it make's you being wrong all the more fun!

Anticipation for me was somewhat deflated being a ps3 player when it came to DLC seeing xbox users have had a month prior playing.

Tranzit, I'll always have found memories from the first game I missed the bus only to being downed in the fog, not knowing what the he'll is going on. Then the mystery involved there after.

Die rise, I hated this map with a passion. I even deranked due to my in ability to play it, funnily enough it's now the easiest map for me 50+ rounds. Go figure. Still don't like it though and I can't really explain why. Maybe it's the pain involved early in the piece before I developed a strategy.

Motd, I really like this map. Loved the feeling about it and the atmosphere. It can be somewhat tedious setting up but my all time favourite map playing 4 player. I

Buried, after hearing for a month from xbox users of how easy it was. I kinda lost interest before I even played it. After the first game I actually thought this was a hard map until I developed a zombie killing plan. I deadset refused to use the wonder weapon mostly because the annoying sound it makes. Saying that it's still an easy 40+ with wall guns.

Origins, I liked the hype, I liked the intensity. However this map became repetitive moreso than any other map. It was great at first, now I refuse to play it. It's redicously easy if you have 4 players who can communicate. I'm sick of doing chores to kill zombies.

Nuketown, I've gone against the grain. It's actually really good. It's eery, it's unpredictable. You don't know what to expect from game to game.

Farm, town and bus depot, the was no hype whatsoever as i'v already played these maps in tranzit with subtle game functions.

Greif, most probably the most hype and reward was in these maps. The game mode totally changed the map dynamics..

PS, Motd and origins, I've never once played a solo game. So not taken into account in my comments

Sorry, in my ramble I didn't talk too much about anticipation. I actually would not prefer to anticipate, I moreso look for wow factor and surprise apon release. I'd like this to continue after many games. How good would it be to play 100 games only to be thrown a surprise from left field.

You think holy shit, what was that?

So deep down, the winners of anticipation vs what's delivered are both tranzit and nuketown. These two still have me looking and asking for more. But really deep down all hope is lost I still play these two going into the game " ahh, we meet again" insert sinister laugh here.

My greatest zombies disappointment of all time was when they released Origins. I was SO hype for that map, then It went down the gutter faster then sonic chasing Mario. 

Actually one of the BEST maps for me was buried. I didn't expect ANYTHING from that map, but after it was released it was SO much better then I hoped! 

The lesson to learn from here is to always expect the least from people, it make's you being wrong all the more fun!

The post isnt greatest zombies disappointment lol its meant to be your experiences when waiting for a maps release.

BO2 was bitter sweet for me.

I was lucky enough to get the game 4 days early, and had even done 50 solo and 40 coop before general release.  Problem was, during those 4 days I'd already grown bored of it.

I won't even be getting the next game on pre purchase or whatever you call it.  So many games have dropped the ball recently that I just can't be bothered to support sloppy publishers who rely on pre orders against making a shit game.

I will definitely get it, but if there are bad reports from the first few days I'll grab it on PC and only use it to write guides and make some videos for this site.

I came to CODZ initially to write and talk strategy, it's what I miss the most.  I don't want to miss that aspect of a new game, but I can't see myself spending as many hours on this as on BO1.

For me I played Nacht like once or twice, thought it seemed kinda cool, but wasn't really good at it and didn't bother. The first CoD I played religiously was MW2. to this day I can say "enemy UAV online" in a perfect impression. Anyway I didn't buy BO immediately, but when I saw zombies was in it, I was like "let's give this a try." I looked up a couple gameplay videos (Syndicate my boi) and then went to play with friends. Even though it was only my like 3rd time playing, I was the best of all of my friends, just because I learned from observation, like Neo in the matrix. At that point call of the dead was already out, so I went home and bought the game and 2 dlcs immediately. From then on the hype was real. I didn't findout about CoDz until a few months before BO2's release, and my first thread that I read was Shangri-La Mars. (I had a strong grasp of the story before then.) Gameplay wise I was "a natural," getting really good in a surprisingly short amount of time. I was really stoked for BO2 because that was the first milestone after I joined here, so it was like a dam of ideas breaking in my mind. I wasn't disappointed in any BO2 map, so I don't know what y'all are on about, my friends and I always had a good time on TranZit.

Now that Black Ops 3 (or whatever it's called) hype is swelling up, so are my pants proportionately.