Campaign Team Maps Question

I see people saying that Der Riese and Mob of the Dead and possibly other maps were made by the Campaign Team. And while I don't doubt that, is there any actual evidence that says they did? Like a video or a tweet perhaps?

It just seems like people are saying it because everyone else was saying it.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Firstly, before Black Ops came out, the campaign team made EVERY map, not just Der Riese. That includes NDU, Verruckt, Shi No Numa, Der Riese, and possibly Kino Der Toten if the theory that it was to be in WaW's supposed Map Pack 4 holds true. That is because a dedicated zombies team wasn't created until Black Ops. Anyway...

No, there isn't any concrete proof that the Campaign team made Mob of the Dead. However, there is somewhat proof in the lack of involvement with Jimmy and the rest of the Z-team. For example, look at the trailer for Uprising. Where was Jimmy? Look at the "Making of Mob of the Dead" video. Again, where was Jimmy? Not to mention the man hasn't spoke a single word about the map.

If the lead developer behind zombies hasn't said a thing about a specific map, then it can only be assumed that he and his team had no involvement with it.

Wow, I didn't actually know about all the WaW maps. But when I think about it, it was just a bonus mode back than so it makes sense. And the reasoning for Mob of the Dead does make sense too.

I guess I was just curious when some people mentioned CotD and Shangri-La as Campaign Team maps.

Saying any map is made by the Campaign team is well, a lie. Because you're basicly saying the other teams (Zombies/Raven) had no involvement whatsoever in said map's creation.

That is not true. Jimmy's Zombies' Team worked on every map.

However given the restricted deadline of - I think one month at best - per map, it's likely they got people from Raven and/or the Campaign Team to help them out from time to time. (modders, scripters etc.)

As the Zombies' budget increases, they ask for more help. For example;

In Ascension (which re-used a LOT of assets from the campaign/mp) they didn't require additional help.

In Shangri-La, which re-used almost no assets from the campaign/mp and has a lot of new FX environment sounds, they got Raven Software to help them out with concept art/3D modeling, scripting and sound design.

Now in Mob of the Dead, I think Jimmy's team realised they didn't had the budget, time, and people to pull it off. So they got the Producer (Jason Blundell) of the campaign team involved (notice how in the trailers Jason's referred to as Zombies Executive Producer. He pulled people from his team to help with the map, got a new budget, people for mo-cap and well made the map.

For example, look at the trailer for Uprising. Where was Jimmy?

This also happend in the Die Rise-trailer. Where we got the Zombies' Producer Rez Elghazi talking about the map. So with MotD they got 'Zombies Executive Producer' Jason Blundell to talk about it, probably because he made it happen.

So in short: Sometimes they just pull people from Raven and/or the campaign team to help them finish the map in time. It's not like the whole Campaign team takes over and Jimmy's Team gets cast aside for the next map.

• Administrators

Both the Campaign and Zombies teams work together. Some have a bigger role in it than others, but they generally lend help to one another. Like ZombieGK said, they will get a few Campaign devs and have them assist in what needs to be done. Mob of the Dead was speculated to have primarily developed by the Campaign team so Jimmy and his crew could focus on the other things (like Buried and the new DLC that's left), but it isn't to say that they did everything solo.

Firstly, before Black Ops came out, the campaign team made EVERY map, not just Der Riese. That includes NDU, Verruckt, Shi No Numa, Der Riese, and possibly Kino Der Toten if the theory that it was to be in WaW's supposed Map Pack 4 holds true. That is because a dedicated zombies team wasn't created until Black Ops. Anyway...

No, there isn't any concrete proof that the Campaign team made Mob of the Dead. However, there is somewhat proof in the lack of involvement with Jimmy and the rest of the Z-team. For example, look at the trailer for Uprising. Where was Jimmy? Look at the "Making of Mob of the Dead" video. Again, where was Jimmy? Not to mention the man hasn't spoke a single word about the map.

If the lead developer behind zombies hasn't said a thing about a specific map, then it can only be assumed that he and his team had no involvement with it.

You're twisting the facts. Back before Zombies, the campaign team WAS the zombies team. They were one and the same.

Then Black Ops comes out, much of the team was laid off. Not all. Jimmy Zielinski was made head of a new team, basically. And there was a whole Zombies division. With Black Ops II, that division has grown.

There's no proof whatsoever about this campaign nonsense. It's just rumor. And honestly, I find it highly disrespectful.

When people are dissatisfied with a map, they go "I hate you developers" despite all the work they put into it. But when we get a map that really appeals to all of those people, and they love it, what do they do? Do they go "This map is awesome! I love you developers"? NO. They go "This map is awesome! Obviously someone ELSE must have made it." That's just a slap in the face.

Realistically, the campaign team probably did help. But no more so on this map than any other.