Mob of the Dead Solo Strategy Guide

Welcome to my Mob of the Dead solo strategy guide! This guide will be following the same format as my last guides so if you enjoyed those ones, I'm sure you'll like this one too. This map has a bunch of different things going on, and I will do my best to completely explain everything. It took me awhile to figure out how this map works on my own, and I am still perfecting the strategy, but I wanted to get it up on CoDZ. Hope you enjoy it!

Note: This guide is currently a work in progress.

Before following this guide, it would be good if you have played a few games solo before, or understand slightly how this map works. I will explain everything so hopefully somebody that has never played this map before can understand. It really isn't too difficult but I could see how people especially new players may have troubles.

There are 3 seperate workbenches in Mob of the Dead. Unlike the previous zombies map, you are able to build at any of the workbenches. Their locations are the Cafeteria, Docks, and the Cell Block. Also, there is an extra workbench in this map, there are only 2 buildables that require workbenches.

Also, there are 2 different buildable items (3 including the plane). They are the Acid Gat Kit, and the Zombie Shield.

The briefcase is in the Cell Block area

1. On top of the desk right as you open your first door.

2. Next to the power box and near the Cafeteria

3. Underneath the stairs on the Cell Block

The acid bottle is in the Infirmary

1. Near the bath tub on a table.

2. On the floor next to a bunch of bath tubs.

3. On a table in the showers.

The Injector is located in the Warden's Office

1. Near the fireplace in the Warden's Office.

2. Next to the Mystery Box.

3. Leaning against the wall in the Warden's Office

The hand cart is located on the Docks. Just run around a bit out there, you can't miss it!

The cell door is located near the Spiral Staircase. It can be at the dead end or located at the bottom of the stairs.

The clamp is located in the Generator Room. It is on a rack and it is a little dark. Should be no problem to find it.

In order to get Hell's Retriever, you are going to need to feed the 3 hound heads the come out of the walls at certain locations. All you need to do is kill zombies until it dissapears and leaves a red aura around the marking on the wall. The three areas the hounds are located is the Cell Block, the Docks, and the Infirmary.

You can then retrieve your Hell's Retriever by visiting the Citadel Tunnels. Just keep following the hallway and if you fed the 3 hounds, then you will have no problem finding it!

Spawn

As soon as the game begins, you are going to want to head to the power box located inside the afterlife portal. Shocking it unlocks the x2 power up that was previously locked in a cell. Wait until the zombies have broken your defense, pick up the x2 and start hoarding as much points as you can.

I'm sure you know, but 8 shots to the feet and then a knife to get maximum point yield! Its best to line up multiple zombies so you conserve your ammo.

Save 1 zombie at the end of round 1. You should have around 2k points, which is more than enough. Open up the first door to exit the Library, head up the stairs to the first Hound location.

First Hound

Feed the last zombie to the Hound. You are going to want to save up at least 3k points before moving on. Buy the B23R located on the wall next to you. After feeding the first hound, save a single zombie. You should be around round 3.

I like to camp the corner next to the hound spawning location. With the B23R the zombies won't even be able to reach you. If you are being proactive you can save a few zombies from the last round to feed to the hounds, to make it easier.

You are now going to head to the Infirmary. To do this, you want to purchase the gate on the top floor for 2000 points. Then you want to go left past Electric Cherry and the workbench. Keep following the path until you reach a door that costs 1000. Purchase it and head inside. There will be parts for the Acid Gat Kit around here. Head to the door that has a "Roof" sign. This is the second Hound location.

Second Hound

Feed this hound just like you fed the last one. It may take a round or two before he leaves. If you are on round 4 at this point you are doing amazing. There is an Uzi on the wall but you can choose to ignore it if you want. If you won't have any ammo to fend off the horde, buy it.

Try not to stick in one spot for too long. Zombies seem to come from all over and it's really easy to get stuck in this area. Although getting downed doesn't matter much because you gain an Afterlife after ever round (max. of 3).

You are now going to be heading to the third and final Hound location. Once you feed this hound you will have access to the Hell's Retriever. Head out the way you came and towards the Gondola. There is a switch that you can send yourself into Purgatory, use it. You may as well activate the Electric Cherry perk as well as the Gondola, to save time.

Make sure you have 750 to be able to use the Gondola. It is definitely not some place you want to get swarmed at. Take a left at the stairs, then to your left again should be the Hand Cart for the Zombie Shield. Turn around and go right instead, at the end is the final Hound location.

Final Hound

If you make it here at round 5, then you're doing wonderful. Pick up the Thompson if you like, it will come in handy especially if you are low on ammo. The Thompson has 400 bullets in it which is quite a bit. You run fast with it also so it's a great primary.

Feed the hound like normal. Save one zombie if you can, if not, just try and avoid the zombies and make sure not to get downed! Run to jug, which is back up the stairs, and to the left. Use the switch to send yourself to afterlife and power jug.

Buy it and get back to the Gondola and head back to the Cell Block area.

Cafeteria

You are going to head back to the Cafeteria to build some points, and because it is safe there. As soon as you get back inside after leaving the Gondola, jump down to the platform on the right. Doing so you effectively bypassed a 1000 point door. Keep heading right and buy the gate for 1000 points.

Ahead of you should be the Cafeteria. It will be another 1000 to open that door. The MP5 is located on the wall behind you. If you have enough for both, buy them. Head into the Cafeteria and start running a train to build up points.

Build up enough points to be able to buy your perks, around 10k. I suggest buying DTRB2.0, Speed Cola, Jug, and Electric Cherry. You can get Deadshot if you prefer it.

Getting Your Perks

Now that you have enough money for perks, it's time to get them! Save a zombie or two and head towards the Warden's Office. Make a left into Citadel Tunnels right before the office and open it up. Here is the tricky part, in order to conserve your afterlives, you need to do a little strategizing.

Find out where the Warden's Key is hanging. You are going to want to enter purgatory, open the Warden's Office, knock down the Warden's Key, power Speed Cola, and then power DTRB 2.0

You don't really need to knock down the Warden's Key if you are not planning on making the plane.

Navigate the tunnels until you find Hell's Retriever. Pick it up, it will come in handy, plus, it looks really awesome. Backtrack your way to the Electric Cherry machine, and purchase it. You now have all the perks and Hell's Retreiver.

If you don't have enough afterlives, just run a train in the Cafeteria until you build up enough lives to achieve what you need.

This concludes the starting strategy. From here, you can follow the other strategies located in this thread.

This is the strategy I personally used to go to 80. I can't really say I discovered it, as you can find strategies similar everywhere. This is my favorite area and I've played ever since I started the map up. Really can't go wrong with this strategy at all.

I like to go around the cafeteria clockwise. It feels much smoother and I will end up going down usually when I only run counter-clockwise. Really, you can run however you feel most comfortable. The goal of this strategy is to always be throwing the Hell's Redeemer at zombies in front of you. I can't tell you how many times I saved my own life by throwing a redeemer at their face.

Also, whenever you build up a train be sure to leave the Cafeteria, then run back in to then enable to trap. Remember to keep using your Hell's Redeemer while the zombies are in the acid trap. It makes for really fast disposing of zombies and raising high rounds!

Green Circle: Start

X: Acid trap box

Black Line: Regular train

Red Line: Escape route if you get trapped near there

Green Line: Start from the figure 8 train, run in, and then press the trap as your running back to the start.

If you are having trouble making trains or getting to high rounds in general, this guide has some amazing techniques that work for dodging zombies. Thank Ehjookayted!

In order to get a free blundergat, you are going to need to use Hell's Retreiver on 5 skulls. A free blundergat appears on the desk in the Waren's Office. Here are the five locations for the skulls.

1. Right outside of the Library. Inside of a cell sitting on a toilet.
    2. Another is outside the window next to the Speed Cola in the Warden's Office.
    3. The third is on the building next to you when you are on the Roof. It is on the corner of the other building.
    4. The fourth is on a pillar next to the boat on the Docks.
    5. The final skull is near the Jug machine. You will need to throw it up at a light post in the corner. You can also get it from the Gondola.

Credits to djhes of YouTube!

Icarus is the plane that is located on the roof. There are 5 parts scattered throughout the map. You have an advantage playing solo, which is you are able to lug around all the plane parts at once. You will need the Warden's Key in order to obtain the parts. Here are the locations for each of parts.

1. The first plane part you want to get is the Uniforms. It is located in the Showers, near the Cafeteria. You are going to want to open the door and then power the washing machine.
    2. The second part is at the Spiral Staircase. You are going to want to go into Afterlife at the top and remember what numbers are on the walls as you go down to the number machine. Enter the numbers in and take the part.
    3. The third part is on the Docks. Open up the fence with the Warden's Key. Shock the box and then revive yourself, grab the part and leave.
    4. The fourth part is in the Warden's Office. To get this part you will need to shut off the generators in the Generator Room. There are 3 generators.
    5. The final part is in the Infirmary. It is very simple and right next to the door to the Roof.

The Hell's Redeemer is an upgraded version of the Hell's Retriever. It is very simple to get and not hard at all as long as you do it fairly early in the game. I'd recommend putting Icarus together and doing this by round 15. It's possible afterwards it will just take longer.

You are going to need to visit the Bridge in order to get Hell's Redeemer. You have to remember to not to shoot any bullets or use anything other than the Hell's Retriever. This is super important otherwise you will not be able to get it.

I like to stay two full rounds on the bridge using only the retriever. It won't take long you just need to watch out because the fog is hard to see through sometimes. Make your train next to the PaP machine. Use the electric chair and arrive back at Alcatraz.

While you are running back to your training location, toss your Hell's Redeemer into the lava pool underneath the first hound location. You will not get your retriever back and it will be blinking on your HUD. This is a good thing.

Now you need to start a new round after you threw the hatchet into the lava pool. Go into the Showers. Use the power box to shock yourself into purgatory mode. Head towards the room that has the Hell's Retriever. What's that? You should be able to pick it up while in purgatory. Enjoy it!

The redeemer appears to be insta-kill forever. I personally went to round 80 and it was a big part of clearing the rounds fast!

The Golden Spork is a fantastic addition to anyone's arsenal. It is also very simple to get. You just have to make sure you have already been to the Bridge at least one time and have Hell's Retriever

Head towards the Citadel Tunnels and Warden's Office. Once you are there, turn around. On your left there should be a movie poster inside one of the cells. Throw your Hell's Retriever at it. It should unveil a hole and an afterlife symbol should be on the other side.

Use the power box to go into afterlife mode. There should be a new hallway on your left. Enter it and you should see a spoon on the ground next to a crack. Shock it and make sure it disappears. Head towards the Cafeteria.

Once inside the Cafeteria, head towards the back. Inside the are where the zombies spawn in, there should be a new spoon located on the table to the left. Throw your retriever at it and you should loot it.

What seems to work next is getting kills with the Vitriolic Withering inside the Showers. You will hear an indicator when you finish. It will sound like a laughing zombie.

Find the room with the bloody bathtub. Approach the tub and press the use button (X for x360). Your spoon should have stirred the blood. Press the use button once again and your Golden Spork should pop out!

The spork is said to be a one hit kill up to rounds 30+.

Mob of the Dead is a great and very fun map. Treyarch did a good job with this DLC and I am thoroughly enjoying the experience. This just makes me more excited for the next DLC zombie maps! Have fun everybody. Once again this thread is not finished yet. Feel free to post your strategy and if I see it as completed and functional, I will add it to the strategies section.

Questions/Comments? | Post them here!

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good job structuring the thread. Are you looking to accept other people's strategies as well. I have one that I am using at the moment for a high round, I don't mind typing out for you including video.

Definitely am! My main goal is to get the strategy that I can really understand and make it as simple as possible. Multiple strategies are welcome also and will be added when I have time.

I'm thinking about tinkering with the structure a little bit this time around. Maybe add in a definitive "starting" section, then have an actual strategy for after you complete the starting section? That's where I could put my strategy, your strategy, and whoever else's strategy that collaborates with this thread.

This is one of the most well formatted threads I've ever seen on here. Absolutely brilliant.

This is a great guide as well. One thing I like to do on the first round is use my three afterlifes to get into the laundry room and start the dryer. This will allow you to rack up easy points on Round 1, while getting some items for the aircraft as well. Also, if you open up the 2x cell blocks before hand and are able to train the zombies in the laundry room to escape upstairs to get them, you can rack up serious point! Nothing better than getting Jugg on round 2 with 5k leftover ;)

Again, seriously impressive work. Keep this stuff coming Sluggo.

This is one of the most well formatted threads I've ever seen on here. Absolutely brilliant.

This is a great guide as well. One thing I like to do on the first round is use my three afterlifes to get into the laundry room and start the dryer. This will allow you to rack up easy points on Round 1, while getting some items for the aircraft as well. Also, if you open up the 2x cell blocks before hand and are able to train the zombies in the laundry room to escape upstairs to get them, you can rack up serious point! Nothing better than getting Jugg on round 2 with 5k leftover ;)

Again, seriously impressive work. Keep this stuff coming Sluggo.

Thank you for the support!

I'll have to try that out, would be good because that way you are not wasting your afterlives in the early rounds. Sounds really interesting and if you can get Jugg on round 2 with 5k leftover I will definitely add it to the thread! Thanks for that bit of info, time to experiment. :D

Added the "Icarus" and "Golden Spork" sections. Also did a little misc. editing and revising.

5/14/13 added "High Round Strategies" and "Hell's Redeemer" sections. Did more editing and revising. Changed the intro banner also. If you want you can submit a high round strategy area and I will add it to the appropriate section!

• 2 weeks later...

This thread reminds me of one of those old game strategy guides they used to sell at gamestop. Also what's the lowest round you can build the plane oj? I've yet to do it but I want to get it done early for pap.

You can build the plane at a relatively low round. The earliest I do it is about round 8. Just be sure to get the Hell's Retriever first so then you can get the free blunder gat! Would also be best to build the Acid Gat Kit in order to get an Acid Gat, which then PaP's into the Vitriolic Withering.

Clan":3gvzjdc8]Great Job man!Glad to see some strategists! :)

Thank you dude! I will add more strategies as I come up with them. Unless of course other people contribute to the high round section. I have a new way that I start the game now, may update this soon.

This is so awesome! Put together so well. Fluid writing style; very neat and organized—10/10 Sluggo! You da man!

@ Sluggo

Shooter & perfectlemonade are two of the best writers & thread makers CoDz has ever had. Take their word, this is truly a masterpiece. Absolutely brilliant!

I hope you hang around here & don't take such along break again.

Props to you mate. You know your stuff!!!

This is so awesome! Put together so well. Fluid writing style; very neat and organized—10/10 Sluggo! You da man!

@ Sluggo

Shooter & perfectlemonade are two of the best writers & thread makers CoDz has ever had. Take their word, this is truly a masterpiece. Absolutely brilliant!

I hope you hang around here & don't take such along break again.

Props to you mate. You know your stuff!!!

Thank you PINNAZ. Thank you to shooter and perfectlemonade as well. I believe they replied to one of my last threads also :). Breaks are going to be inevitable for me. I work as a furniture mover and when I go out on a trip, I can be gone for multiple months at a time. Summer is the busiest time of the year.

Hopefully I can release the next DLC solo strategy guide much faster.