One hit downs

Hey guys.

Today I experienced (again) one of those one hit downs. I swore, that this must be a fault in the game.

But now after watching the video, I indeed got 3 hits, after a little delay another 4th hit. But there was no red screen. So all hit indicators vanished, and then finally the 5th hit downed me. It seems like the little break between the first 3 hits and the 4th hit enabled the lower health regeneration rate, like you have it with a redscreen. However, the redscreen was not displayed. So I felt save, although I wasn't.

I don't know, but I could imagine all or most mysterious non-sense one hit downs might be based on this bug, that doesn't display the red screen, so you are not aware of how critical the situation actually is. As well you are not aware of the lower health regeneration rate.

Have a look at the video, so you understand what I mean. Don't worry it's just 15seconds.

A-G3B-17J2I

I ain't sure if I might have gotten a crawler hit and 3 zombie hits. You can hear a crawler quiet well, that might have caused the 4th hit. This could explain why no red screen was there. But I thought, only the enabled red screen means, that your health regeneration is now lowered.

I think that's quite an interesting topic. Do you have other examples of this kind of downs? How does it work with the situations, where you get like 3 and a half hit? For example, 2 zombie hits + one M&S shot is no red screen, however the 3rd zombie hit would kill you. Is the lower health regeneration enabled there too?

For me it seems atm that the red screen and the low health regeneration rate are two different things, enabled at different damage levels.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't really offer any total answers for this glitch, but I can say that I've been hit four times almost instantly (by normal runners on Shangri), and no red screen was displayed; therefore I don't believe it is a matter of the timing of the hits that results in the glitch. Often times I just count my hits and know when I'm in trouble. The regeneration time after being hit 4 times is definitely slower than if you take 1, 2, or 3 hits lasting about 5 seconds, and is signaled by your character exhaling (as Vader said). So, if you count four hits from regular zombies you need to pull out your ray gun (or wonder weapon) or find a safe escape path.

Also, I think you can tell pretty well from the video that you took 4 runner hits and didn't get hit by a crawler, so that theory can be discounted for this example.

I see the 3rd hit mark hadn't completely disappeared before you recieved the 4th one, so it looks as though you'd been red-screened without the red-screen if that makes sense. I've experienced this a number of times actually, particularly when there are hellhounds around for some reason :?

This happened to me sooooooo many times with Vodstok on CotD last night. I went down three or four times due to getting hit four times, but no red screen, partially healing, then getting double tapped. The health system with Juggernog is extremely inconsistent. You have your situation, where you get no red screen but are left vulnerable, then you have this:

WK-ol6MQ7bM

TheRelaxingEnd got hit 7 times with a red screen. How? He partially healed. Now, perhaps it's different on PC, maybe that's why the health is so inconsistent for you, but for me, 90% of the time this is how health works. But sometimes, and I think part of it is due to connection, you get no red screen. This is what happened to me on CotD last night.

Lag

I was host, so it cannot be the ping that caused all of that.

@lemonade: Thanks for the vid. That's an extremely epic cut.

Lag can happen on solo or when host :P If you play SNN and look right of the main hut, the screen slows as the amount of detail slows the game down, just one example :D But lag is only a tiny factor in most cases.

from what I can tell, you theoretically should always go down on the 4th hit (200 health with nog, 50 damage per each hit). I believe that if you have less than 50 health there is a delay to the regen, but you won't actually get the red screen unless you have 35 or less.

Actually landing between 50 and 35 isn't easy, it means that you were hit 3 times, had a bit of regen, then were hit again at exactly the worst survivable point. In this case, you will go down in 1 hit and there is a delay to your regeneration, but you still don't get the red screen. This has happened to me so many times that I have a good feel for when its coming and I can prepare for it.

I'm not so sure its a glitch, I just think it is a relic from campaign/multiplayer (when gun damage was more variable) that causes this confusion/problem with zombies, who always do a set amount of damage. I believe the recovery delay was put into the campaign/multiplayer to make it less annoying to kill enemy players in multiplayer, since shooting them to the brink would mean they can still be finished off quickly, rather than nigh-invincibility (allowing them to peek around a corner easily, making most of the sniper rifles worthless)

However, in our context it is just frustrating since you can't tell where you stand.

• 2 weeks later...

I just found this value in the config

seta hud_health_startpulse_critical "0.33"

Seems like this default setting is not correct. Going to check what it does with other values and if the red screen might come in then when it should.

Nice, Tom does that mean the heads up display is set to critical (Red screen) when the players health gets down to 33%?