I need serious help with NML

Hey guys, I'm really stuck with No Man's Land lately.

I'm about to just give it up entirely.

I can never get it right, and it's not even stuff I can really control either that's what gets me mad.

1. It's a rare occurrence I even get 1500 points of knifing them at the start, and even then I almost never get Juggernog to spawn, once I had to restart it over a half a dozen times.

2. When I go to knife the crawlers, I always get double/triple hit and die and sometimes when I go to knife the low crawlers and fast one's while standing, it can't reach them.

3. This is the most annoying, I had a group of 24, it's not even the 3rd beep yet, I toss a grenade, watch it explode in the middle of a horde, and i get 10 its and nothing else, if anything.

Is there a way to get around this stuff, or am I just extremely unlucky?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, mostly just bad luck. The pre-siren knifing is pure luck, sometimes you can get up nearly enough for Jug, while other times you can get only two or three zombies. It's just a matter of luck.

As for the knifing, just make sure that you don't take stupid risks. What I like to do is take care of the armless ones first, then go after the crawlers next immediately after throwing the grenade. You should have a solid 30 seconds of nothing but knifing bliss. The more you play, the more you'll find how to bend the limitations of knifing crawlers. It's frustrating at first, but you'll learn. :)

And the nades... just practice your aim. Predict the bounces of the grenade itself. Can't really help you much there. Good luck!

-perfect

I think you just have to keep practising over and over, and then over again.

The crawler knifing thing is definitely practise, and aggression. There is an optimum knifing distance it likes to go for which is often the lunge. There are ways to cancel this lunge and use the slash instead which is much quicker and doesn't leave you exposed at all.

You need to concentrate on the closest crawler to you and get as close as you can before knifing....make sure you are looking down at it. Literally sprint at it and then as you are about to hit it and be hit jerk back on the controller. You knife almost at the same time you stop moving, but you need to do a little jerk on the right analogue stick to just change your look direction. This forces a slash rather than lunge. As you have slashed and dragged back you can repeat with the next closest crawler. If you watch almost any video on NML you will see this used. It's getting the time right between the 3 moves you make. As I push down the right analogue stick to knife I REALLY push down which causes some movement in the stick at the same time. I just am used to exaggerating this now.

With the points thing.....it's 28 seconds before the first buzzer. Within 10 seconds of the game starting I know whether to restart as I'm not seeing enough zombies. Just keep doing this. Honestly, I wasted so much time when I first started playing having only 1280 points when they are running as 9/10 you can't get a PAP done. You really need 1800 to start with.

You need early spawners but you also need to kill them as quickly as possible to force new spawns, hopefully in the area you are in. Be aggressive here, the slash makes a huge difference if you start getting it consistently. Before they are running be in speed mode.

When I first started playing NML I thought that the 'clear' period after getting hit seemed longer than in the normal mode. Super made a point that everything is so much faster than normal that it seems different. I have done the first grenade so many times now and even if you are 3, maybe 4 seconds after that beep a perfect one into a tight group will definitely get everyone, almost everytime. Maybe it appears that the explosion is right in the middle but it can often look that way but be behind. Otherwise I'm not sure about this.

And regarding luck......NML takes a lot of patience, as you do need luck. I've played for like 30 minutes and got only 1 spawn over 1670 or something stupid, then played where 5 games in a row I have over 2000 at the running stage. When it's frustrating as you don't seem to be going anywhere it just seems like it's all against you.

Just keep at it mate.

Thanks for the help guys, I'll try all these tips later.

I just died on 40 on Ascension going for 50+, and it involved a little kid in the party screaming, lagging my friend, his failure to recover, monkeys taking perks, and me forgetting I lost Flopper.

I'm not in much of a mood for playing zombies as you would think.

But heh I got a new points record 410,000+ :D

I see the NML as a challenge. And I do not like this challenge. I think, my game is specialized while having jug, having PHD with the M&S and so on. And I just do not see the point of NML, cause it is not really relevant to do highscores in later games.

I understand, that the challenge is fascinating, it's something else for a time. You got a M&S? Yeah so buy PHD. But not on NML. Zombies go crazy after you? Yeah buy Jug, but not on NML in the beginning.

It often tickles me, very often. I think I'm not a bad player, so I think I can compete with those 300+ kills guys. So I give it a try. Well, speed reload appears. OK, another try. It's a bad spawn. OK, another try, damn, speed again. Another try, everything looks good, but I fail. Damn, shit, ok another one. This goes like so for 10 20min, then I think: fuck you, I have better things to do than restarting a game.

So my tip is:

If you are a NML guy, practice the hell out of it and be patient. But if you are no NML guy like me, just leave it and focus on other things the game offers.

Mine won't get you kills, but It'll get you Juggernog indefinetly.

Knife as many as you can at the start.

When the buzzer goes off, stand in the top corner at the left half of the hangar. (if that makes sense)

Knife as many dogs as you can near the begginning.

Start running right, in front of the hangar. If it looks like you are going to die/get swarmed, cut through the pool in the middle and continue to train by running a circle around the outside of the map.

Make sure you have all (or most) of the zombies behind you, cook a grenade for 3-4 seconds, and throw to the side of the horde so it explodes in the middle.

If you don't have enough for Jug by now, knife the crawlers you made. Continue to run the circle and knife ONE crawler once each time you loop around. Since it's still early, (presumably) they should die and give you 130 points.

Wash rinse and repeat with your 2nd grenade.

And remember to fire your M1 into the horde for 30 points a shot.

I'm not a strategist but this should help. :D

• 2 weeks later...

I don't have much patience so I get frustrated with NML very easily. My kills on it are only 200, trying to get at least 250 but I'm getting bad spawns every time. Just keep at it.

*EDIT* Just hit dead on 250. Just keep on keepin' on. Try different stratagies, dry different grenade spots and find the one that works best for you. I like to group them up in the side drop and then grenade them on the opposite side. Then I either use the side drop or the tele pad, I find the tele pad works really well and is pretty underrated so I reccomend trying that. Also be thankful you're on 360, the frame rate lag after you grenade them can be a right bitch when you're trying to quickly knife crawlers.