how to record on xbox??

killallzombies

Question

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

11 answers to this question

XBO 360 does not have anything built in to record. Get a cheap capture card if you want to get started, and when you are ready with investing bit more get either Black magic or PVR. They both will cost you around 200 and will require you to have a good pc to run smoothly.

You can use a Dazzle DVC, it costs about half as much as a PVR but obviously a little lesser in quality, it's not bad at all though and it's a good way to get started ;) I'm sure I told you this via PM a while ago :lol:

Some PVRs can record straight to an external hard drive though, which is really handy if you don't have a PC that's good enough to handle recording the HD footage through the PVR.

XBO 360 does not have anything built in to record. Get a cheap capture card if you want to get started, and when you are ready with investing bit more get either Black magic or PVR. They both will cost you around 200 and will require you to have a good pc to run smoothly.

how do you use ze capture card??

You can use a Dazzle DVC, it costs about half as much as a PVR but obviously a little lesser in quality, it's not bad at all though and it's a good way to get started ;) I'm sure I told you this via PM a while ago :lol:

Some PVRs can record straight to an external hard drive though, which is really handy if you don't have a PC that's good enough to handle recording the HD footage through the PVR.

yeah you told me about the dazzle,just wanted a few more users opinion :D that's all

I was going to create a thread on capturing but I guess for now this will suffice.

A device that can capture your game play (Audio/video signal) coming from your console should be installed on your PC. You can alternatively do it in on your laptop but for that you need to buy Capture cards that have USB shuttle to connect to.

Eg: I installed my capture card in my pc. Use my HDMI cable to connect from my xbox to PC (To card as input). Open the Capture Program that comes with it. And boom there you go. You are ready to capture. You can use another HDMI cable to connect from your capture card to your TV if your capture card comes with output port.

I am not sure if PVR has output port but the one I use (BMI) has both including component ports to connect to ps3.

My recommendation to you for now if to buy a cheap one and then if you are looking for professional one go for Black Magic intensity. I can help you with the broadcasting program called WireCast to broadcast your games if you want to. But you can always use xsplit which is a free program and supports PVR.

Hope that helps.

There are a bunch of different products, the Dazzle DVC and the EZCap are the simple ways to go, only being able to record in standard definition. The big names for recording in HD are Blackmagic and Hauppauge.

The Hauppauge products are the PVR (the one I have) and the Colossus.

1)The PVR has inputs for standard AV cables, SVideo, an audio blaster, Opt in and Opt out (I honestly have no idea what these are, just don't pay attention to them) and what's normally used: the high def AV cables (the red, green, and blue video cables) and normal audio cables (red and white). The two outputs it has are for the computer, a USB cable, and for the TV, the high def AV cables. The only problem I find with using the PVR is it is REALLY difficult to livestream, you have to have a really nice computer to be able to do it, and there is no HDMI input.

The HDPVR costs $199.00

http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/ ... aming.html

2)The Colossus is the one you have to install to your computer, it has to be installed in a normal PCI Express slot, which means it can only be used on PC, no laptop. The input it has is HDMI, and the high def AV cables, but the only output for the TV it has is high def AV cables. (Again, those weird audio things that I have no idea how to use :P ) This is better to get rid of clutter imo, but I can't put a difference in them because I haven't used the Colossus. I do know however that the Collosus fixes both of the only problems I have with the HDPVR (the lack of HDMI input, and the livestreaming fail).

The Colossus costs $159.00

http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/ ... ossus.html

The other big name is Blackmagic, and they have A LOT of recording products, the two main ones being the Intensity Pro, and the Intensity Shuttle. There is actually a third, called Extreme, but it's a waste of money, I don't see the advantage of getting it at all.

1)The Shuttle is Blackmagic's version of the HDPVR, it has input for standard AV cables, HD AV cables, and HDMI (this is the advantage that makes the huge difference imo) the Shuttle actually has two products: the USB 3.0, and the Thunderbolt. The only difference is the output to the computer, the Thunderbolt is supposed to be better quality than USB, but USB is amazing itself, and the Thunderbolt costs $40 more and is a waste of money imo.

The Shuttle costs $199.00

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/produc ... ty/models/

2)The Pro is their version of the Collosus, has to be installed into a PCI-Express slot. It only has HDMI input, a weird ass converter thing from PCI-the normal HD AV cables (I don't even know if buying the product would come with the cable needed for that, it really doesn't say at all.) And the output is only HDMI.

The Pro costs $199.00

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/produc ... ty/models/

So it's really up to you, both Blackmagic and Hauppauge have the same products that do the same thing, with subtle differences in them.

I was going to create a thread on capturing but I guess for now this will suffice.

A device that can capture your game play (Audio/video signal) coming from your console should be installed on your PC. You can alternatively do it in on your laptop but for that you need to buy Capture cards that have USB shuttle to connect to.

Eg: I installed my capture card in my pc. Use my HDMI cable to connect from my xbox to PC (To card as input). Open the Capture Program that comes with it. And boom there you go. You are ready to capture. You can use another HDMI cable to connect from your capture card to your TV if your capture card comes with output port.

I am not sure if PVR has output port but the one I use (BMI) has both including component ports to connect to ps3.

My recommendation to you for now if to buy a cheap one and then if you are looking for professional one go for Black Magic intensity. I can help you with the broadcasting program called WireCast to broadcast your games if you want to. But you can always use xsplit which is a free program and supports PVR.

Hope that helps.

so basically

1.i buy the capture card and install the software needed

2.conect my labtop to my xbox,start the software,and it begins to record??

and thanks triix for the list of great recording equipment

I've got a Roxio Game capture that costed $90, DON'T GET IT!!! it absolutely sucks. I tried to post some MW3 survival training methods on Underground to youtube, the device was either skipping frames or speeding up the video to make it sound like I was trying to fight a bunch of chipmunks (which was pretty funny) :lol: But My advice is to go for something more expensive. I'll probably fix it, but It'll take a while. Plus I can't do it on my laptop since it doesn't have a disk drive, so I have to use it on my Mom's, which means I can only make videos when I'm home alone or when she's already gone to bed.