Paradox regarding Call of the Dead and Moon/Call of the Dead in a different universe?

RadZakpak

• Moderators

So this thought recently ocurred to me regarding the easter egg quest of Call of the Dead and the events following Moon.

Now from context clues we've gathered Call of the Dead is in 2011, or at least sometime around then due to the use of real life actors. Basically a pretty modern time.

Then from context clues we gather Green Run takes place sometime during or after the 1960s, as that is when Moon takes place.

Now my confusion is, they go to 2011 to gather the golden rod and have to power the teleporter in the locked room, then they go to the 1960s-era Moon and send missiles down to Earth creating a complete hellhole called Green Run. In that process and the ensuing zombie outbreak, they likely killed hundreds of millions of people, such as younger George Romero, Danny Trejo, Robert Englund, Michael Rooker, and SMG's parents, or any combination of the above. Also not really a state of the world where you'd want to make some zombie movie in Siberia sometime in your life.

So maybe I don't fully understand how time travel works, but wouldn't these actions create some sort of paradox? If the actors + Romero were never in Siberia to make the movie, they couldn't have helped Richtofen acquire the Golden Rod and they could not get out of that room.

There's a couple explanations I can think of:

- Time travel works different in this canon and what they do to change the future is irrelevent to them. This I could have believed, then I saw what changing the future did in The Giant, it had some effects.

- Call of the Dead was a separate timeline/universe where the vril device existed and they went there specifically to get it, just perhaps too far in the future, or Richtofen was lying about his confusion.

- Moon and subsequent maps are in a time past 2011, potentially 2025 or later. This opens up way more questions than it closes.

So what is your guys' opinion on the subject?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When Tranzit came out and had the 50's/60's theme I instantly thought the exact same as you did in your post. How could the O4 travel to Siberia in CotD and to Shangri-La some time after the mid 90's (proven by the model of walkie-Talkie radios around the map) then travel back to the 60's to Griffin Station and see the Earth destroyed? This would create a paradox as he could never have traveled to these time-zones now to obtain the Rod and Stone!?!

Of course this theory was completey ruled out when Die Rise came along because of one key detail that meant Moon had to take place at the same time as or after the events in Siberia and Shangri-La. This...

images.jpg

This image 'Since 1996' meant that the rockets did not hit Earth until after this period, and with it saying 'Since' then you would assume the time the rockets hit would be some time after this year, possibly a decade or two. This one piece of evidence means that despite Tranzit seemly being set in the 60's, or at least that was the Dev's intention at first we have to just rule it as being a cover up town designed to hide government experiments. A town so old and out of touch that it couldn't possibly be a front for something more sinister.

I still don't like that though. I mean, sure the Town looks old and out dated but there was other things that stood out that strongly suggested the 60's time frame was correct. The voices on the TV in the farm. They were voiced to sound like people from the 50's. There choice of words and accents sounded exactly like people did in radio shows from that era. Then there was the loading screen and music (also heard in the Diner). The music was from the 50's and even if people didn't move with the times in terms of industrial their radios would pick up modern day music. Then there was the robot. Nolan North voiced TEDD in the style of a 50's radio entertainer. Again, why follow a 50's style if it's an old town set in modern times?

I'm still convinced Green Run was set in the 60's and that was the Dev's intentions but maybe they changed the storyline direction based on community feedback or this poster was a mistake being placed in zombies because it's an asset from the Campaign that they reused and didn't think about the date. Buried confirmed the time-frame either way when we saw Russman standing on a street outside of a building with modern cars and cabs passing him by but I still believe Tranzit was supposed to be set in the 60's but alas...

I reluctantly now agree that Moon takes place in the 2010-2025 time frame, as does Green Run.

• Moderators

Just seems so weird given the 1960s aesthetic. Is it possible that Richtofen just took them into the future for Die Rise? I mean all I can think is that or perhaps sometime in the 1960s the town in Green Run was abandoned and used for testing? That's all I can think.

12 minutes ago, RadZakpak said:

or perhaps sometime in the 1960s the town in Green Run was abandoned and used for testing? That's all I can think.

I would just go with that one if I was you. Everything, and I mean everything points to Green Run being set in the 60's but Die Rise and then eventually Buried confirmed that the setting for all 3 maps was definitely after 1996. Even if hypothetically Richtofen teleported us from the 60's in Green Run to past 1996 in Die Rise, the Buried intro rules that out completely by having Russman standing outside of a building set in modern times, which means before the rockets hit Earth proving conclusively that Russman is from this era, thus so are the other 3 in the group.

On 8/8/2016 at 8:29 AM, DeathBringerZen said:

I would just go with that one if I was you. Everything, and I mean everything points to Green Run being set in the 60's but Die Rise and then eventually Buried confirmed that the setting for all 3 maps was definitely after 1996. Even if hypothetically Richtofen teleported us from the 60's in Green Run to past 1996 in Die Rise, the Buried intro rules that out completely by having Russman standing outside of a building set in modern times, which means before the rockets hit Earth proving conclusively that Russman is from this era, thus so are the other 3 in the group.

The main problem with Green Run being in the 60's is the bus driver. We don't even have that technology fully functional today (not that that stupid driver was really functional in Tranzit, but I digress). He is a decently advanced AI. There is no way they would have that in the 60's without 115 or something outside of real history.

38 minutes ago, AetherialVoices said:

The main problem with Green Run being in the 60's is the bus driver. We don't even have that technology fully functional today (not that that stupid driver was really functional in Tranzit, but I digress). He is a decently advanced AI. There is no way they would have that in the 60's without 115 or something outside of real history.

True, but look at the engineering and design of the driver. It's so old fashioned, what with light bulbs for eyes, a large shock absorber spring, the 60's radio style voice,  the bus itself! It all looks far too dated to be from a modern era, and if it was designed to cover up some shady goings on near by then a bus from several decades ago being driven by a wise cracking robot, well... that's going to draw attention so they're doing it wrong. If staff use the bus and it is not driven in public areas only in the government confines then you would expect it to look modern, not like that.

1 minute ago, DeathBringerZen said:

True, but look at the engineering and design of the driver. It's so old fashioned, what with light bulbs for eyes, a large shock absorber spring, the 60's radio style voice,  the bus itself! It all looks far too dated to be from a modern era, and if it was designed to cover up some shady goings on near by then a bus from several decades ago being driven by a wise cracking robot, well... that's going to draw attention so they're doing it wrong. If staff use the bus and it is not driven in public areas only in the government confines then you would expect it to look modern, not like that.

Good point. Honestly, the timeline from Kino der Toten until Buried is extremely scrambled and contradictory in several ways.

• Moderators
3 hours ago, AetherialVoices said:

Well do we know the US didn't use 115 to make him? I mean in "Five" which is in the 60's the US used stolen technology and 115 from Nevada to make the Winter's Howl and the teleporters. I don't think it'd be that unreasonable for them to be able to create a robot.

But on the other hand, it seemed to be pretty secretive, so making a robot for public transport would reveal to the world, during the Cold War no less, that the US had this technology.

But on the other other hand, why would they put a robot in charge of a shitty 1960's bus at a testing site? Who would even ride the bus? The only thing I can think, given the robot's personality, is after the rockets hit Earth, this robot was nearly destroyed, and with no humans around he drug himself to the shitty bus and decided he would just drive it around trying to find humans, hence why he'd help the TranZit crew.

I'm a bit late to this discussion, but I've always been a big proponent of the idea that they take place post-2025. DeathBringerZen has brought up some very good points.

But there were just so many things that pointed to a post-2025 timeline for me. Many come from Die Rise. That poster. There's also a specific tower on the Beijing skyline that was built in the 1980's. The soldier zombies you fight are SDC! It says so on their uniforms, and the SDC wasn't formed until approaching 2025. There's even a poster that mentions Tian Zhao from the campaign. That's all I can remember from the top of my head.

I've always believed TranZit/Green Run was more a historical recreation of a 50's/60's town, that people could visit like a tourist attraction. Why? Because the loading screen cards seem like those that'd be on a postcard, or those that you'd grab, and than hand to someone else. Like a souvenir of sorts. They just seemed like those kind of advertisements type cards. Regarding the year itself, I've been partial to 2011-13, but we'll hopefully just get that answered in the comic.

Also regarding the Bus Driver, I don't think he's really a problem anymore, when we've had things like the Civil Protector and Robo Sophia/Maxis in earlier maps timeline wise.

Archived