User Menu

Sign In

Sign In

Or sign in with one of these services

Forum Menu

More Staff Online

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Rapt

Shadows of Evil - PaP stone tablet translation

Did we ever manage to translate this?
I looked online and couldn't find anything about it.

Text as far as I can read it:

O

DM

IVIINED  (or possibly IVIIIVED)
RFSTEVNI

VSPHOERIO

GONIVGI
DC????IN

Anyone know more about this?
EDIT:Found 1x previous thread https://www.callofdutyzombies.com/topic/181859-examining-the-roman-latin-tombstone-in-pap-room/
But it was inconclusive and pretty old. 

20200728003504_1.jpg

Edited by Rapt

In the other thread this tombstone was deemed unimportant and possibly Lorem Ipsum, but I think I disagree with that due to the sharpness of the details and symbols. The 'D' and 'M' above give me the feeling this works vertically, possibly holding a cipher or maybe a kew for something. @RichKiller you see any logic in this one?

Honestly I recon it's a curse tablet. 
They were very popular with the romans. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bath_curse_tablets
Notice the top character is an upside down horseshoe.
Phoerio - Welsh for "spit"

Conniveo - Latin for "close the eyes"
aka: spit in the eye of 
Just some rough translation to show there is definitely some potential romance language based words in there.
I wouldn't hold that as the accurate translation

DM could well be Doctor Monty, that was a name we had no way of knowing during Launch and would qualify as "impossible".
Also the reverse letters could indicate some form of boustrophedon script which I think is what threw people off before.
https://scriptsource.org/cms/scripts/page.php?item_id=entry_detail&uid=r722vdatzf#:~:text=It's%20a%20Greek%20word%20derived,face%20the%20direction%20of%20writing.

Hopefully you guys have some luck. 
I'll have another look at this soon

3 hours ago, anonymous said:

In the other thread this tombstone was deemed unimportant and possibly Lorem Ipsum, but I think I disagree with that due to the sharpness of the details and symbols. The 'D' and 'M' above give me the feeling this works vertically, possibly holding a cipher or maybe a kew for something. @RichKiller you see any logic in this one?

Honestly not sure. I didn't look too far with the tablet, but there are a lot of stuff in SoE that looks like it might be something but it's nothing.
One example are the equations on the wall near the sacred place, which are just an asset (not even made by Treyarch).

On the tablet, there is one letter D which is flipped and also some letters in the bottom layer are cut, which is odd.
However you have the impossible EE and so I don't want to underestimate anything in SoE.

The sacrifice tables also have references to Lovecraft lore"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dreams_in_the_Witch_House

A space between the walls is found filled with children's bones, a sacrificial knife and a bowl made of some metal which scientists are unable to identify. A strange stone-statuette of the star-headed "Elder Things" from Gilman's dreams is also discovered.

unknown.png

Perhaps the tablet is also a reference to something in Lovecraft as well. 

Edited by RichKiller

2 hours ago, RichKiller said:

The sacrifice tables also have references to Lovecraft lore"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dreams_in_the_Witch_House

A space between the walls is found filled with children's bones, a sacrificial knife and a bowl made of some metal which scientists are unable to identify. A strange stone-statuette of the star-headed "Elder Things" from Gilman's dreams is also discovered.

unknown.png

Perhaps the tablet is also a reference to something in Lovecraft as well. 

Oeh, I really like this! Strange metals perfectly ties with what the Reporter had to find in Siberia (presumably 115 from Tunguska). He also had to trace ancient artifacts in the Pacific (where ZnS/Pohnpei/Cthulu's lair is located), could this hint to these stone statuettes of the Cthulu-like heads on the altars? Maybe the Reporter made these altars, collecting the essential artifacts the Shadows crew needed to perform rituals to gain Gateworms, allowing the Apothicons to enter and assimilate this world.

I think the ingame prompt calls it the "Apothicon Rift Stone", and it disappears from each ritual table once the ritual is complete.
The Shadowman even specifically says: "You must place your hand upon the stone".
There is clearly some major significance to the stone and the text on it.
And like you say there are a lot of loose ends around SoE....

One other possibility is that it ties into the gravestones on Rev and the graves on GK.
Did we ever find out who was in the graves in the spawn of GK?
It's possible there is some paradox created by seeing the grave of someone you meet in the future in your own past.
Or by seeing your own grave 

I think there is some point about graves and timetravel they were trying to make.
I need to research paradox logic some more. 

6 hours ago, Rapt said:

I think the ingame prompt calls it the "Apothicon Rift Stone", and it disappears from each ritual table once the ritual is complete.

Pretty sure the Apothicon Rift stone is the PaP rift stone. The light rays go towards the red stone in the middle of the PaP disc. 
latest?cb=20160810024046

Also the tablet does not disappear. For example you can see it in this picture from the boss fight:
image.png

Edited by RichKiller

7 hours ago, Rapt said:

The Shadowman even specifically says: "You must place your hand upon the stone".

Hang on, is this tombstone on every ritual table in Shadows of Evil? I thought merely in the Pack-a-Punch room. 

@RichKiller Rapt said that they disappear after the rituals, though. I really like to check this, but man at the moment it is way to hot outside to crawl behind my Xbox.

Concerning the Trial graves in Gorod Krovi, one gains the achievement Viktorious Revenge upon completing all solo trials, which is an obvious reference to Viktor Reznov who fought at the Barmaley Fountain in WaW (also present in the spawnroom near the graves). Logically, four graves cannot hold merely one man, so the graves likely hold other people. I dont have the map GK, though, and Ive never done the trails. Isnt there a Samantha's Lullaby heard at the tombstones or something?

3 minutes ago, anonymous said:

Hang on, is this tombstone on every ritual table in Shadows of Evil? I thought merely in the Pack-a-Punch room. 

@RichKiller Rapt said that they disappear after the rituals, though. I really like to check this, but man at the moment it is way to hot outside to crawl behind my Xbox.

The tablet appears only in the PaP room. The tablet doesn't disappear after the ritual.

Edited by RichKiller

Yeah you're right about the tablet remaining etc, I was mistaken.
But I think it IS the Apothicon Rift Stone.
Because the Shadowman Quote is :"You must place your hand upon the stone".
And we do not place our hand on PaP...
We use the ritual table, which has a stone on it to begin the assimilation (PaP) ritual.
And the PaP ritual is what the Shadowman is trying to get you to do.

Imo it is very likely some kind of invocation that allows an entire dimension to be "assimilated" during the PaP ritual.

But imo I need to just sit down and work out the abbreviations, we can speculate all day but it's not much use. 
Hopefully we can work it out, I'll have another look at it soon. 

Just a last little tidbit about the graves you guys might find curious.
Funny how there are 4 gravestones hidden in the SoE PaP room....
Curious unaccounted for graves on every map could be important in a time travel story.
Paradoxes and whatnot... 
20200728003909_1.jpg

5 hours ago, Rapt said:

Funny how there are 4 gravestones hidden in the SoE PaP room....

20200728003909_1.jpg

That picture looks interesting. Can you more pictures / video? Preferably not in the "Noire" mode?