Returning perks?

This thread is here to discuss the perks that can, should, and may not return for BO3. 

Now, in black ops 2 we've had just about every perk return from black ops one and WAW. So it's safe to say they'll all return at one point. 

In black ops 2 however, 5 new perk machines were introduced, here's the general reception of these perks: 

Tombstone- Was a nice idea for a perk, especially on a map the size of tranzit, however, only being a Co-op perk and how it could be exploited to get all perks is an issue. I don't think this perk will be returning, however, it is more likely then Who's Who. 

Who's Who- Commonly referred to as the worst perk ever. 2000 is way over-priced for it's uselessness. Many dread getting WW from the free perk bottle. Nice jingle though. The second down was HATED by many players. At least Tombstone gave an option, who's who was absolute and flawed to hell. It's negative reception shows this is the LEAST likely perk to return. 

Electric Cherry- Considered at least by me, to be the first desirable perk of BO2. It was reasonably priced and is the only perk to appear twice (MOTD and Origins) which, coupled with it's high approval by the masses, leads me to think this perk will DEFIANTLY be seen again. What is strange about this perk though, is that it has NO perk jingle and has ONLY had it's perk machine seen in Mob of the Dead, a map set in hell where there is no flashy effect to it, unlike other perk machines in the map. I believe this is sign that the perk it's self does not exist in this world, and will only be available as it is in origins though the wonderfizz. 

Vulture's Aid- This is my personal FAVORITE perk of black ops 2. The scavenge ability alone makes it desirable, but the ability to hide from zombies in their own clouds is even more amazing. This perk was approved generally by the masses, but despite it's approval, it was considered somewhat OP and is largely blamed for being one of the biggest factors in making Buried the easiest map of BO2. This level of OP-ness may point towards this perk not returning, but the high approval and common scavenger ability seen commonly in MP shows otherwise. I'd say there's a 50/50 chance of this perk returning. 

The Wonder-fizz: Basically the box for perks. It's a reasonable idea, and would have REALLY made tranzit at least a little better, if it was implemented. Simply put, it's a great idea for larger maps, and I don't think we've seen the last of this little space-time-tear! 

The only other real perk to discuss talking about is PHD flopper: If there is no special flopping mechanic in BO3, then PHD flopper may be traded out for another flopper version, but I don't think we'll see the perk disappear completely. 

Your thoughts? 

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tombstone: This needs some altering so that it can be used on Solo. Doesn't even have to be the same effect. In WaW Quick Revive did nothing in Solo, which was thankfully changed. I would actually like to see the Perma-Perks (the one where you keep your perks after going down) Persistant Upgrade be integrated into for Solo. It would be useless without Quick Revive, but if someone wanted to keep their other two perks they could go for that combination.

It was also the wrong map. Because TranZit is in sections, you'd always spawn in the wrong section if the white player wasn't in your area. I'd like to see appear on a smaller map. Tombstone would be great on maps about the size of Moon and Call of the Dead.

Who's Who: This perk was troublesome. I felt like it clashed with Quick Revive. And I still don't even know if Quick Revive activates if you run out of Who's Who time.

The inconsistent spawning locations. It seems like 3arc just made it so you spawn in the general radius of your down. Which is bullshit. They should've had set spots where you spawn at (I believe they have that for round respawns too), so that you know where you're going to spawn. And how you can plan to get back to your body. But also so you wouldn't spawn in bullshit places like this one that happened to me.

This perk was also on the wrong map. Because of the many different levels, you would rarely ever get to your body in time or you would die trying. Great on a small map like Nuketown.

Electric Cherry: Great perk, would love to see it return. The combination of it and Speed Cola, or having an Insta-Kill was great. I'd like to see it get a jingle eventually. Not really much else to say about it.

Vulture Aid: I like this perk. The scavenge effect is amazing. This actually makes low ammo/single shot weapons like Shotguns and Explosives actually somewhat viable, since you're replenishing 2% - 5% of a weapons max ammo with each ammo scavenged, compared to under 1% with Assault Rifles, SMG's, etc.

The sight thing is nice, but I felt it was only put in since you were underground and couldn't tell where the box was. It's not really needed for wall weapons or perks. Though the brighter zombie eyes was a nice touch I appreciated.

The green smell cloud I feel may have been a little OP, at least on Buried which was already an easy map. I would like to see time the cloud remains dropped to about 5 seconds. I think that gives you enough time for a quick breather, but to also still be kept on your feet.

Regarding PhD, I have a feeling that will be changed similar to Double Tap. I don't think it will be gotten rid of, but changed to accommodate sliding. Possibly also tweak the explosive immunity a little. Not get rid of it, but maybe change it so the immunity only last 5 seconds once you begin shooting your feet. Literally that was the only reason it was missing from BO2. When it did appear, you easily lost from fall damage, or M&S just weren't in the map. So I would be okay with a timed explosive immunity if it meant it came back.

Tombstone: This needs some altering so that it can be used on Solo. Doesn't even have to be the same effect. In WaW Quick Revive did nothing in Solo, which was thankfully changed. I would actually like to see the Perma-Perks (the one where you keep your perks after going down) Persistant Upgrade be integrated into for Solo. It would be useless without Quick Revive, but if someone wanted to keep their other two perks they could go for that combination.

It was also the wrong map. Because TranZit is in sections, you'd always spawn in the wrong section if the white player wasn't in your area. I'd like to see appear on a smaller map. Tombstone would be great on maps about the size of Moon and Call of the Dead.

Who's Who: This perk was troublesome. I felt like it clashed with Quick Revive. And I still don't even know if Quick Revive activates if you run out of Who's Who time.

The inconsistent spawning locations. It seems like 3arc just made it so you spawn in the general radius of your down. Which is bullshit. They should've had set spots where you spawn at (I believe they have that for round respawns too), so that you know where you're going to spawn. And how you can plan to get back to your body. But also so you wouldn't spawn in bullshit places like this one that happened to me.

Hidden Content

This perk was also on the wrong map. Because of the many different levels, you would rarely ever get to your body in time or you would die trying. Great on a small map like Nuketown.

Electric Cherry: Great perk, would love to see it return. The combination of it and Speed Cola, or having an Insta-Kill was great. I'd like to see it get a jingle eventually. Not really much else to say about it.

Vulture Aid: I like this perk. The scavenge effect is amazing. This actually makes low ammo/single shot weapons like Shotguns and Explosives actually somewhat viable, since you're replenishing 2% - 5% of a weapons max ammo with each ammo scavenged, compared to under 1% with Assault Rifles, SMG's, etc.

The sight thing is nice, but I felt it was only put in since you were underground and couldn't tell where the box was. It's not really needed for wall weapons or perks. Though the brighter zombie eyes was a nice touch I appreciated.

The green smell cloud I feel may have been a little OP, at least on Buried which was already an easy map. I would like to see time the cloud remains dropped to about 5 seconds. I think that gives you enough time for a quick breather, but to also still be kept on your feet.

Regarding PhD, I have a feeling that will be changed similar to Double Tap. I don't think it will be gotten rid of, but changed to accommodate sliding. Possibly also tweak the explosive immunity a little. Not get rid of it, but maybe change it so the immunity only last 5 seconds once you begin shooting your feet. Literally that was the only reason it was missing from BO2. When it did appear, you easily lost from fall damage, or M&S just weren't in the map. So I would be okay with a timed explosive immunity if it meant it came back.

​I feel like taking up 2 slots though (quick revive and Tombstone) would defeat the purpose. Maybe QR is offered at the beginning of the game at 500 points, but tombstone is offered later down the road, or only from the wonderfizz and would revive you will all perks but costs more. It's more of an expense and a risk, but has better security. You can only buy tombstone twice though. Ironic isn't it... We wanted a perk like who's who in a map like tranzit, but we wanted tombstone in die rise! What a world... 

Who's who I felt would be better if it gave you an invisibility effect from the zombies, as you only have a freaking pistol, and set spawns. 

Totally forgot the VA visual effects which would make it GREAT for condensed maps set in places were you can't always see the sky. Also think of it in a map where perks spawn randomly! Do I want to buy this door? It COULD have jug behind it, or deadshot daiquiri.... Oh wait, I can SEE jug because I was stupid and bought a 3000$ perk before Jug! (Or doing a challenge) 

• Moderators

I hope we see Deadshot return. :P

Speaking of perks though: I think the whole perk system needs to be reworked. A good option for example would be having Juggernog not take up a perk slot. I think it was @Matuzz who had this idea and I really like it.

I'm thinking Who's Who and Tombstone won't be returning. (Wasn't Who's Who just a test for Afterlife in MotD anyway?)  Both Electric Cherry and Vulture Aid are unbelievably over-powered. Electric Cherry mainly because of its' price, and Vulture Aid, because that essentially could almost be three perks in one.

I didn't mind Stamin-Up. It's only useful in maps where you need to get to a perk quickly to stop it from shutting down (Origins, Ascension). PHD Flopper is good I guess, but I never really went for getting the M1911 PaP'ed anyway, so it didn't make a difference to me when it was initially taken out of Black Ops 2.

I definitely want to see Double Tap 2.0 back, and 2.0 being applied to other perks. It probably wouldn't work with perks like Speed Cola and Juggernog, however it can be easily applied to something like Stamin-Up.