Which would be better: Ranking system

Choose-  

13 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This is a question I'd like to ask about next year's ranking system: 

Which is better to you guys: 

Skill:  Like the one we have now based on Kill/Death/Down/what round you're on that determines your rank. 

Objective: A bit more advanced and useful. This ranking system never goes down, but instead requires the player to perform certain tasks: Survive the first room without opening any doors, hit the mystery box 20 times in one game, complete the easter egg, ect. 

And for the second question: 

Should ranking systems be map-specific or apply to every map? 

Map specific: Each map a player has holds a different rank. One could be great at die rise, but awful at Origins. 

Every map: Like the one we have now where each map shares the same rank. 

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The biggest problem with objective based stuff is the objectives themselves. Either they force you to play a certain way, eg the EE example you gave, or they force you to play a ton eg. Get 50000 career kills.

That's why I think skill based is the way to go. K/D ratio is not necessarily indicative of a persons skill, so less emphasis on that, and more on cooperation (it is after all a coop mode...). There has to be something they can come up with that would heavily weigh the amount of round your teammates stay alive.

It would just have to be weighted properly to account for horrid teammates who can't stay alive. A bonus to keep them alive, but not negative if they die I guess.

Map specific for sure. Everyone has maps they aren't good at.

It'd actually be a LOT better if one could keep track of how much XP they gained from performing different tasks: 
Save one teammate from dying out each round: 100 Points

Save multiple teammates from dying out each round: 200 (no more) 

Kill a zombie: 1 point

Kill a train: 10 point bonus. 

Course this way people would farm xp in SO many stupid ways. 

It'd actually be a LOT better if one could keep track of how much XP they gained from performing different tasks: 

Save one teammate from dying out each round: 100 Points

Save multiple teammates from dying out each round: 200 (no more) 

Kill a zombie: 1 point

Kill a train: 10 point bonus. 

Course this way people would farm xp in SO many stupid ways.

If it was based on XP, only those who play a lot would get max rank, and in theory, someone who never passes round 10 could get max rank eventually.

The Multiplayer ranking system only works if we are going to be unlocking weapons/attatchments. At least imo.

A hybrid system, one where you unlock stuff (your number level), and another where you just get an emblem could be much better. So you get something to work for for your time, and for your skill.

FIne, then there are two types of points: Red and blue. 

Red points increase the amount of points you need to reach the next rank: Downs before round 10: 100, Downs after round 10: 50 (Bad points) 

Blue points attribute to the amount of points you have to reach the next rank: Revive a guy: 10 points. Kill a zombie: 10 points. (Good points)

FIne, then there are two types of points: Red and blue. 

Red points increase the amount of points you need to reach the next rank: Downs before round 10: 100, Downs after round 10: 50 (Bad points) 

Blue points attribute to the amount of points you have to reach the next rank: Revive a guy: 10 points. Kill a zombie: 10 points. (Good points)

But it can't be that simple. Once the first glitch was found, everyone would be max rank, much like Tranzit. I don't know the solution, but there has to be some way that a ranking system can account for cooperation, such as reviving, opening doors, turning on the power.

Maybe the best way is to have a rank for every map, and every player count. I don't know, just spitballing. Or we could just have an expanded veraion of lobby leaderboards, that would be fine too.

Which is why I like objective based: It starts off simple with things like:

Reach the dragon in die rise. (any round) 

Then it progressively gets harder and harder: 

Build the tramplesteam in die rise. 

Acquire and use Who's who 

Get 10 seliquifier kills in one round

Go a whole round after round 15 without firing your weapon once. 

Be the architect of their design (Easter egg for either maxis or richtofen) 

There would be a lot more in-between

After this stage, players would receive the base rank: Skull. Then the tasks afterwards split into two groups: 

Pistols

Knifes

Pistols: These work differently then perviously. These work on a pair of XP systems: Aetheric Control and Aetheric Chaos: Chaos results from losing players, dying, going down, and not moving at least 30 feet every round or not shooting (This is so campers can still keep their strategies, just fire a bit every now and then, but glitters will be penalized for not moving or firing.)  Control is the positive side: getting kills, reviving players, building things, and "different weapon" bonus which adds a small 10 points of XP for every time a weapon is changed and used, this is so players will learn to use all weapons effectively.  When you have collected ENOUGH Control over Chaos your pistols upgrade to shotguns. 

Knives:  These are objective based and set at 12:00 AM every day EST.   The objectives include things like: Survive to round 14 with no perks. Survive to round 10 without leaving the starting room. Things like that. If one completes their objectives they'll eventually receive galvaknuckles instead of knives. However, after a few days, these objectives will lose their value and one will have to complete challenges again. This will ensure people will still play the map after reaching max rank. 

Once one has both galvaknuckles and Shotguns, they receive the max rank: Ray gun 

However if one loses their shotgun rank with bad gameplay, or loses the galvankuckles due to not playing, the ray gun will revert back to being a combo of either shotgun and knife or galva and pistol. 

This is map specific as well, so it will encourage players to return to maps they don't impulsively play to improve their max rank. 

As a bonus there is a prestige: If one can maintain ray gun rank for 168 hours (exactly one week) without it downgrading. They can prestige one time on that map. There is no benefit other then a new outfit for the character customizer that has to do with the map. 

See but that's the real problem with objectives. I don't want Who's Who. I don't want to do the Easter Egg, and I damn sure don't want to go an entire round without killing any zombies.

That's the reason objectives are a bad idea. Telling me how to play my game, is not good game design.

The actual game is kill zombies, and survive. The EE can be fun for some people, but other than a trophy/achievement, there isn't much benefit to doing it on a lot of the maps, let alone every game trying to get to max rank, instead of just playing the game.

Edit: I'm not all critical. The challenges sound like a fun way to spice things up. Something similar to Destiny's bounty system could work.

Edited by BestOfAllTime32

I still like the idea of medals instead of ranks.

For example if you click on a playercard you get shown three medals/symbols.

Of these symbols, there's a "negative", "positive" and "player type".

Three examples of each:

Positive:

OAP: highest round number.

Survivor: Often the last guy alive.

Cure: the amount of zombies you've killed.

Negative:

Quitter: you leave too many games.

Box humper: player likes to hit the box a little bit too much, putting teams safety at risk.

Virus: often the player that goes down first.

Player type:

Crutch: often is the only surviving player.

Rambo: likes to one man band games of zombies. Often asks the question "what teammates?"

Nightingale: puts teammates safety above guns, perks and own safety.

The symbols could be really cool too, like the

Crutch symbol is of a guy with a crutch holding three guys up in a stretcher. Etc..

Edited by lead_psychopath

See, that's just it. The first "base" medals are specific to things like "drink who's who" or "build the tramplesteam" as a guide. After the base challenges are completed they NEVER have to be completed again (unless one prestiges).  So yes it tells you how to play the game, but it only does that so the player can learn the basics of the map, once they know that they can focus on becoming objective-based or skill-based players. 

The later "medals" are more specific to in-game challenges. Why not? You don't want to be an overall master capable of maintaing challenges? Go ahead, shotguns for you! But if you want ray gun rank, just complete a challenge every few days. 

Keep it the same I reckon but instead of days played tally marks, use these marks as map specific. Eg, shotguns

Say 5 tallies you are very good at that map, 1 tally being not so good.

Well what depicts good is the question...

Consistent high rounds, no different to how it is now, but weight the maps. Eg bus depot round 15 is the same as round 30 on die rise as a deciding factor.

I get the impression you feel hard done by with the current system and nothing will make you happy. I give up.

I was/am, and I got max rank in a week of release. Because everyone cursed me out for being a cheater of some kind. Then if they actually stuck around to play, they would leave the second they would die. Terrible system that promotes me play.

The system is terrible. It's too focused on punishment rather then achievement. Fact of the matter is, it's a buggy and glitchy game that's hard to recover from on the rounds you can go down on to get max rank. I can't tell you how many times I've been crushed by that tank while riding ON TOP OF IT. Or how many times I've run past a zombie, only to be rubber-banded back between him and brutus. And do not get me started on lagging out. 

You are bashing. 

Furthermore I have the best internet available for my area, and no, I can't just migrate my own house to play zombies better. 

I like the lightning staff the most

The last one (well actually the first one) is just downright offensive. I'm the best zombies player I know within my entire quad-county area. The average game in solo lasts to round 40 before I kill myself out of boredom or little sister wants to watch netflix with her friends. Thing is, little twerps on Xbox live can't handle going down. They leave on round like, four, and then everyone quits due to the fact the game doesn't count anymore. 

How about the rank is structured like this:

Ot all comes down to the average amount of XP you gained PER GAME, in the past week. Different tasks give you XP. 1 revive = 50. 1 kill = 2. Every 5 rounds = 10. Doors opened in Co-op correspond to price, max at about 25.

If your average points per game in the past week is 100 or less you get bones. 100-250 is skull. 250-500 is knife. beyond is shotgun. Those are just random numbers, but yoi get my point? That would make it current, allow it to change more easily as your skill improves, and take into account your high round capabilities and kills, as well as team player ness.

How about the rank is structured like this:

Ot all comes down to the average amount of XP you gained PER GAME, in the past week. Different tasks give you XP. 1 revive = 50. 1 kill = 2. Every 5 rounds = 10. Doors opened in Co-op correspond to price, max at about 25.

If your average points per game in the past week is 100 or less you get bones. 100-250 is skull. 250-500 is knife. beyond is shotgun. Those are just random numbers, but yoi get my point? That would make it current, allow it to change more easily as your skill improves, and take into account your high round capabilities and kills, as well as team player ness.

personally I hate the idea of losing rank in any shape or form, so I don't like the supposed idea of a rolling 7 day average rank type deal.  Using rank to try and judge skill is pointless anyway (in my opinions black ops 2 pretty much proved this) so I think a simple rank up/prestige program would be much better received.  i mean i like the idea of xp for certain actions, but just don't like the week/5 games/any other rotating average  aspect

Stop mocking, you talk crap. I wasn't bashing but you continue to harp on crap. I'm fed up. You average round 40. That's bullshit as you would be max rank I guarantee. Truth be it you think you deserve something for your mediocre gameplay and repeatedly make excuses for your inept zombie playing ability. Thus lashing out at true max rank players trying to change the system to suit your sub standard gameplay. If they are above you they obviously glitch and or smart enough to stop riding the tank god forbid that's there short coming.

Seriously, the only rank 3arc should incorporate is a skull with tears coming out of it.

Get better, stop complaining, grow a set.

Stop talking shit, you go round 40 supposedly before getting bored and quit. That's 2 hours max solo on most maps. Go 2 hours on multiplayer you would be lucky to hit the sides of a decent high round.

Yeah, let's make the system to suit people who play a lot, quantity over quality. Fuck me today's generation is about giving out trophies for last place.

Now I am bashing. Wake up to yourself.