Extinction - Why YOU Should Give It A Chance

Naitrax

I used to be part of the many thousands who thought that Ghosts was terrible. A failure. A useless game which deepened the pit into which Call of Duty was falling into. Extinction was just a failed attempt by IW to copy Zombies. A terrible idea for a mode with little-to-no meaning.

And then, just as the final DLC was released for Ghosts and I was getting ready to sell my copy of the game, something very cool caught my eye. GRILL's thread regarding the Teeth upgrades for Extinction. When I finished reading that, I realised just how much there is to unlock in this gamemode.

I decided to give it one last shot.

I played over 20 hours of this one mode over the weekend. I went from Prestige 1 Level 29, to where I currently am at Prestige 5 Level 17 with it's incredibly fun levelling system.

If you find yourself criticising Ghosts and Extinction without actually ever giving it a good go, go play the damn game. Try new things. Push yourself to escape over and over, and make it a challenge with the Relics system. Try to get all the achievements. Unlock cool Teeth upgrades. 

Extinction has AMAZING replayability, and I take back every bad word I've ever said about it. This side-mode here, IW's apparent "answer" to Zombies isn't that.

It is a gamemode in it's own right, with a completely different feel than Treyarch's bonus mode. The second you stop criticising it against Zombies and comparing it to that is the second you begin to have fun with it.

Extinction has great, challenging gameplay. I mean, I understand that it's not everyone's cup of tea so to speak, but it still deserves a chance.

The story to Extinction is incredible. to be perfectly honest, I liked it's story much better than Zombies in the way it was told. The way it just started as a small outbreak and escalated with the almost extinction of humanity (good reference there, IW) was very entertaining. The way Intel worked with all it's cutscenes and audio logs which were accessible only out of game made it feel like the backstory wasn't forced upon you and didn't really make itself apparent until after you complete the mini-story which is the actual map itself. I loved the little hints toward the next maps, and I loved the whole dramatic effects in each Prologue and Epilogue, the most memorable lines being:

"Who's tombstone? Ours." - Beginning of Mayday

"We have an Ark of our own, hanging right above their heads." End of Awakening

"They thought my powers would mean the difference between survival and extinction... They were right." - End of Exodus

I know this thread kinda went all over the place, but the main message behind it can be summed up with the following sentence:

The second you stop thinking of it as a Zombies clone and accept it as it's own thing is the second you start having fun.

All of you out there who have Ghosts but don't enjoy it, pop it in and give Extinction one last burl. I guarantee you won't regret it.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like Extinction a lot, but I don't really like playing it with randoms, so I don't play it that much. Not in five months, probably. And I can't bring myself to buy the DLC just for the Extinction map, so I only have the first two maps. It's a game mode I enjoy, but unfortunately I'll probably never play much.

I appreciate the sentiment behind this thread, and I tried the new map last week, and then again last night...

Maybe i'm just way too horrible at it, but I feel like the hit detection is absolutely horrendous.  point blank shots with pistol not hitting, and getting mauled by 3 jumping orange guys

I've never made an escape... do the DLC maps just all get so much harder that you literally have to have leveled up and prestiged multiple times to have a chance? ive tried solo and co-op.  There's just not really anything fun about it to me.

Customization and unlockables does sound really fun to me, but when the process is to long and frustrating, it makes those not worth the trouble for me

Brains to you Naitrax. Yes, I have been in love with extinction since day 1, mostly due to game play, But I have to agree the story kept getting better. Awakening was a big turn off for me regards to game play, dark boring map filled with rhinos, the verticality was not adding to the fun at all. It seemed like running in bio dome (Moon map from zombies) with broken excavator 6.

That said, I really loved and still like the first map Point of contact. Nightfall was also a great map and the next one, Mayday was okay. Not really a big fan of new game mode or hardcore either.

Recently I beat Exodus on regular mode with randoms, it felt great getting 3 Platinums. My hunger to extinction and teeth kept growing with new loadouts inventory, so I tried playing hardcore with randoms, to my surprise I was able to beat with 2 average randoms no mics. I think Exodus it was a great fun with a combination of all forms of cryptids. 

The biggest plus was addition of wonder weapon that can almost insta-kill any cryptid except rhino and phantom. It is super balanced, because you only have 10 single shots or 1 power shot, just like wave gun from Moon or Jet gun from tranzit that has a recharge time but no reload required.

All in all, you GOT to try this map or this game mode like Nai pointed. If you have ghosts, get this map pack. Multiplayer and extinction are worth it. 10/10 from me.

Way out.

I appreciate the sentiment behind this thread, and I tried the new map last week, and then again last night...

Maybe i'm just way too horrible at it, but I feel like the hit detection is absolutely horrendous.  point blank shots with pistol not hitting, and getting mauled by 3 jumping orange guys

I've never made an escape... do the DLC maps just all get so much harder that you literally have to have leveled up and prestiged multiple times to have a chance? ive tried solo and co-op.  There's just not really anything fun about it to me.

Customization and unlockables does sound really fun to me, but when the process is to long and frustrating, it makes those not worth the trouble for me

No after you first prestige you've unlocked everything. It doesn't get harder the more you level up. If you want I can help you through the other map(s).

I don't mind Extinction. I've only played PoC at a mates a couple of times but I enjoyed it each time. I also don't mind Ghosts MP from what I've played. The customisation and 10 soldiers thing is awesome.

I don't see myself going out and buying it though. I don't want to have to buy a game every year (have only gotten 3arc titles), which is why I have stayed away from Assassins Creed. It looks like a fun series and story, but I'm not committed to buying it every year and the 10+ titles.

My big issue with extinction is that it really is a 4 player game and;

Randoms are Hellspawn.

Friends had ghosts on 360, some moved to One. Then others did, some bought ghosts again, some didn't.

I play lone-wolf style mp, so i like the mp, but i wouldn't commit to extinction with randoms/no mics. Communication is fairly required (though i know some if you will play with randoms, i just can't stomach them for that long. I'm surprised that I've played with randoms on Safeguard). Speaking of Safeguard; try, even with randoms, playing it in Showtime. Crazy.

The E-mode is okay. The hit detection in this game (all modes, online and off, is intermittent...oh God, the kniving is so feces).

I still need to beat the last 3 e-maps. I wish this game was fun solo.

Edited by 83457

you guys should check out MatoMaster21 's extinction video with 10 relics. It gave me some motivation to get back on the relic adventure. Of-course he had Mustang and sallies. (Pistol Arc attachment) Even with normal difficulty and 10 relics the difficulty level is fairly high. Solo enthusiasts go watch it.

I enjoy Extinction, I'd say it's pretty successful for IW to have something original, yet still gives you that apocalyptic survival mode Zombies delivers. Hell most of my latest ideas for future zombies is fed from taking examples Extinction has to offer.

My big issue with extinction is that it really is a 4 player game and;

Randoms are Hellspawn.

Friends had ghosts on 360, some moved to One. Then others did, some bought ghosts again, some didn't.

I play lone-wolf style mp, so i like the mp, but i wouldn't commit to extinction with randoms/no mics. Communication is fairly required (though i know some if you will play with randoms, i just can't stomach them for that long. I'm surprised that I've played with randoms on Safeguard). Speaking of Safeguard; try, even with randoms, playing it in Showtime. Crazy.

The E-mode is okay. The hit detection in this game (all modes, online and off, is intermittent...oh God, the kniving is so feces).

I still need to beat the last 3 e-maps. I wish this game was fun solo.

glad i'm not the only one having hit detection problems in Extinctions...... it drives me nuts

Honestly, from someone not playing it very much, i would like to say that there are plenty of standalone games out there that aren't this in-depth or interesting. I will definitely get into this mode more.

I guess it's time to teach my split screen buddy this game and hit up some (chokes back bile)...randoms.

Edited by 83457

Nice thread, @Naitrax

always good to have someone fighting the good fight for extinction.  It got swallowed in all the bad press surrounding Ghosts, and truly doesn't get the respect it deserves.  It's truly one of the most team based games I've ever played, and the teeth upgrades keep me coming back for more.

--------------------------------------

you're still on the xbox 360, @83457 ?

if so - I could definitely get you through those maps.  I have people I play with on a daily basis.

Yes, i am. Maybe this coming weekend or something, I'm kind of tied up a lot this week, but I've been hoping to grab some of you for a game.

I just bought the medic upgrade (only one so far) if you need a medic. I've crawled mostly through 3rd prestige.

Also: skill point, sentry armor, damage boost, faster heal, better ammos. Working on faster revive now.

Edit: early evenings would be good almost any day. 19:00est or after.

<<<Gamertag

Edited by 83457