So Wolfenstein comes out tomorrow.

They had a pre-order bonus that gets you into the beta for Doom, almost makes me want to go out and put $5 on Wolfenstein today quick before it launched. HOWEVER... any game that has a pre order bonus for another highly anticipated game makes me nervous.

What do you all think? I'll be waiting until the reviews come out tomorrow to actually buy it, but I'm strongly considering putting a little bit down just to get the pre order bonus.

Worth it? Or am I just being suckered in?

http://www.wolfenstein.com/age

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It'll probably be worth it regardless of the "reviews". Wolfenstein 2009 was a really cool game, even though it apparently sold pretty poorly.

Wolfenstein 2009 was a amazing game. I really enjoyed the campaign and loved the slight cheesiness and supernatural aspects. The game also encouraged me to get Wolfenstein 3D, a amazing game in it's own right.

I never pay attention to how well a game sells or how the reviews come in. one of my favorite games that I ever played was Turning Point: Fall of Liberty. And many from what I read considered it one of the worst games of all time.

I saw a tv advert for it yesterday. I think I'm gonna get it, it looked amazing!

But hang on, they're making another doom?!

Yes I've loved all the commercials. I like how the juxtapose the gritty visuals/context with the Quentin Tarantino-esque music/feeling. And yes, apparently they are making another Doom - which is why I'm thinking I'd like the beta :D

You have no idea how hyped I've been for this game. Doom beta or not, I'm getting it. Wolfenstein 2009 was pretty fun, and I love the classic games. Besides, it's been too long since I've killed Nazis!

If you are on board, werf - then that makes me want to be on board.

Also grill, why does it make you nervous?

@Flammenwerfer hit it on the head, I'm nervous because such a grandiose preorder may mean that the game itself is poor - thus needing such gimmicks as a "high profile" beta as a pre order bonus. Plus the whole concept of "pre order bonus"'s had become so twisted and awfully commercial.

Pre orders used to only exist for extremely high profile games in which there was a legitimate concern of the game selling out come release day. Nowadays, developers/companies plan for massive releases and make sure to overstock the shit out of retail stores - and the pre order has simply became a device to boost early confidence in investors (which, in turn, may cause them to offer extravagant bonus' for less then extravagant games).

I have been waiting for this game to come out patiently for over a year now, I am beyond excited, everything looks amazing, already put my pre order in a while back. picking it up tomorrow more then likely, that or the day after.

Okay THIS makes me want to get it. Thank you for your enthusiasm @PortlyLlama80

It'll probably be worth it regardless of the "reviews". Wolfenstein 2009 was a really cool game, even though it apparently sold pretty poorly.

If you think it's worth it, then I'm thinking it's worth it ;)

Wolfenstein 2009 was a amazing game. I really enjoyed the campaign and loved the slight cheesiness and supernatural aspects. The game also encouraged me to get Wolfenstein 3D, a amazing game in it's own right.

Alright now I really want it.

Ah! I'm so torn...

Well, I'm about halfway through the first mission (I think) and it's quite amazing. The way all the sounds and the graphics with the lights and colours make you really feel like you're in there.

I've decided to do a Lets Play of this, and Part 1 is going up now.

This game is so far an 8/10

Quite amazing if I do say so. I took a 2 hour break, but I'm back at it, and really loving it.

After the "tutorial" which takes up about 1/3 of the first mission, the action really picks up. Fergus and Wyatt both seem awesome, so when the time came for me to make a choice between saving one or the other, I was surprised. However, I stared Wyatt in the eyes and sacrificed him for Fergus, who reminds me of Reznov.

The weapons seem quite balanced, and even playing on the 2nd lowest difficulty (out of 5) I've died a few times. There was this one awesome scene with a cannon and a giant robot, where, if you fire your cannon at him, it it turn and do this huge charge beam and insta-kill you.

I keep accidentally throwing my knife, which is annoying. 

Commanders are annoying, as unless you defeat them without alerting them, they will call in reinforcements constantly until they are killed.

There are 16 Chapters to the game, which will hopefully provide with lots of gameplay.

There are two separate timelines, depending on who you save in Chapter 1.

This leads me to believe that the game will have much replayability, and possibly two completely different stories with different locales.

I won't be able to play after tonight until tomorrow afternoon.

This is a link to my Let's Play's first episode, will become active when it's done uploading.

Got my copy, doing some work now - but will be streaming it in Xbox one later today!

Awesome Nai, was going to create another thread on how is it, but let's just do it here! (assuming you don't mind us hijacking your thread Grill)

No problem at all, I'll change the title to this one to "impressions"

Worth it? Or am I just being suckered in?

http://www.wolfenstein.com/age

Worth it just for Wolfenstein WITHOUT the Doom beta. The game looks ridiculously good. The characters all look like they have personality, and the game also looks like it is old school shoot-em-up mixed with modern day magic. I am picking it up  tomorrow either way!

On to the Doom beta... I am obviously wanting in on that one! I actually purchased the original Doom back in 93 for the Atari Jaguar (reason I bought the Jag in the first place), as prior to this it was PC only and a standard 486 was only found in the homes of the rich. A few months after it's PC success Atari scored an exclusive to get it onto the Jag.

I was in love from day one and from then on in I was addicted to FPS games, or Doom clones as they were known back in those days. I got Final Doom on PS1 when it came out and then built a gaming PC in 2004 just for Doom 3 (and Half-Life 2) coming out and I although I was disappointed in Doom 3 somewhat, I have always been a major fan of the franchise and I am absolutely PUMPED for this new one. The first official announcement of a new Doom was with this beta.

I am sure I can fill my time between now and then with Wolfenstein though. :D