Subsurface Resonator: History, Theory, Primitive Thundergun?

GRILL

Now that we've had some time to play "Buried", and have figured out most of the larger nuances - I believe it's time to move onto the smaller nuances.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Subsurface Resonator

(a.k.a. the Primitive Thunder Gun, a.k.a. the Boombox*)

Name & Possible Indications:

Subsurface = of, relating to, or being something located beneath a surface and especially underground.

Resonator = a hollow metallic container for producing microwaves, or a piezoelectric crystal put into oscillation by the oscillations of an outside source.

Both parts of the name have very interesting individual meanings:

"Subsurface" is rather interesting, it makes me think that at the time the was Boombox invented, the town in "Buried" may have already been underground. Obviously - this would mean the inventor has a sense of humour to an extent. Or perhaps this device had a deeper meaning, directly correlating with the fact that "Buried" IS underground (meaning that, maybe this device helped the town to GET underground).

"Resonator" is what really brings some questions into the mix. First off, it uses microwaves - this would mean yet ANOTHER connection to Nikolai Tesla (as our dedicated member PINNAZ has vastly shown us). Second, the other definition involving a piezoelectric crystal instantly made me think of the orbs you must destroy WITH the Boombox:

Piezoelectricity is the electric charge that accumulates in certain solid materials (notably crystals, certain ceramics, and biological matter such as bone, DNA and various proteins) in response to applied mechanical stress. The word piezoelectricity means electricity resulting from pressure. It is derived from the Greek piezo or piezein, which means to squeeze or press, and electric or electron, which stands for amber (an ancient source of electric charge.)

Basically, are these orbs piezoelectric crystals themselves? That is what I'm getting at.

Invention & Use of the Subsurface Resonator:

To get the Boombox working, you must have a source of power. The source of power is the Turbine, the same Turbine found in Green Run. Therefore, the inventor of the Subsurface Resonator must have had a power source equal to the Turbine.

P01C. In 1851, Michael Faraday left his last position in Great Britain as an electrochemist. He was the inventor of the designs behind the motor, transformer, and generator, and he was married to a woman named Sarah Faraday. They later were of the few who found out about the town in Africa, and they decided to move there. Michael brought the wealth he accrued as an inventor to purchase a large estate in the town, and he brought the invention of electricity to the town, installing a power grid.

source - viewtopic.php?f=100&t=18279

So this must mean that the Subsurface Resonator was an invention after Faraday arrived in "Buried", and possibly an invention of his own. Without a proper power source, there is no way it could have been created. This, in turn, leads me to believe that most of the buildables are "post-Faraday's Arrival".

The actual use of the Subsurface Resonator remains a mystery at this point, but as explained above, the inclusion of "subsurface" in the name does give us a guess or two. Considering that it was invented after Faraday arrived, it is possible that it was a tool used to extract minerals or substances from the ground. The resounding waves could simulate an earthquake on a small level, and yield precious resources emerging from the rock without pick nor shovel.

It could also have been modeled off of echolocation. If miners were looking for diamonds or oil or whatever, they could use the Subsurface Resonator to essentially provide an "audio x-ray". If after turning it on, it resounds with a specific resonance - it could then help with calculating distances needed to mine.

Similarities to the Thunder Gun:

The Thunder Gun is also a resonation device that harnesses electricity for raw power. It can be found in Kino Der Toten & Ascension for use (also in revamped NDU, & on display in Five).

The strongest similarity is the blast itself:

Resonator Blast (sorry I couldn't find a better quality comparison photo. will update with better photos):

Basically, it's the circular nature of the blasts that makes this comparison so strong. True, they both have circular barrels - thus forming the emitting blasts into circles... but I'm quite interested in how these 2 weapons are connected.

Thanks for reading y'all. If I've missed anything, please don't hesitate to let me know. Thread will be updated with video comparisons in the near future. :mrgreen:

*"primitive thunder gun" is my name for the Subsurface Resonator, it is in no way a correct nickname - but a nickname that serves the theory I put forth. "boombox" is another nickname I use.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good stuff, fun read and it was very informative. Thanks l GRILL l

Thanks CG! There's still more to talk about in terms of DG3 comparisons, but I'm going to do some more research first.

Good stuff. Research is what makes Zombies fun, although that's more of a me and my teammate thing to do, I can never manage all that stuff in just my head. I get tired and then just run for the coffee haha. Again good stuff and keep it up.

Awesome research GRILL. I'm going to need to watch for this for talk about the DG 3. If it's connected, I'm going to need to know soon because of another thread I'm in the works of. :D

I wish I could elaborate, but this thread was so informative I'm afraid I can't! Fantastic work GRILL.

I like the thundergun tie in, perhaps it was the inspiration for it time line wise. As for what it would have been used for, I think that the mines and the town were two separate places at one time, then were merged either via plate tectonics or time movement, but either way, I think the resonator was in the mines. By definition, to resonate, there must be two objects. I think the first object, the resonator would resonate with the earth around it, thus breaking chunks of the mine off, for further mining. Similar to high pressure water mining used in many countries today.

Awesome research GRILL. I'm going to need to watch for this for talk about the DG 3. If it's connected, I'm going to need to know soon because of another thread I'm in the works of. :D

Thanks bagel_! We'll try and figure it out ASAP :mrgreen:

This is interesting. Although one thing that confuses me: Why do you have DG-3 in the title? I saw no mention of it.

OOPS. I meant DG-4 (right? or am confused? I want it to be the Thundergun lol)

and thanks!

I like the thundergun tie in, perhaps it was the inspiration for it time line wise. As for what it would have been used for, I think that the mines and the town were two separate places at one time, then were merged either via plate tectonics or time movement, but either way, I think the resonator was in the mines. By definition, to resonate, there must be two objects. I think the first object, the resonator would resonate with the earth around it, thus breaking chunks of the mine off, for further mining. Similar to high pressure water mining used in many countries today.

Wouldn't the resonation come from the shape of the barrel itself & the energy emitted from the device? The resonation that happens from the device through the earth & back would be a resonation of it's own, no?

Sure, the possibilities are many. The resonance could come from the type / frequency of the waves, which is cause by the barrel, yes. I would think though that the device was used for mining. That's just how it strikes me, could be wrong.

Sure, the possibilities are many. I would think though that the device was used for mining. That's just how it strikes me, could be wrong.

oh I totally agree that it could be used for mining - and I think you were spot on in your comparison to high pressure water mining:

...it is possible that it was a tool used to extract minerals or substances from the ground. The resounding waves could simulate an earthquake on a small level, and yield precious resources emerging from the rock without pick nor shovel.

It could also have been modeled off of echolocation. If miners were looking for diamonds or oil or whatever, they could use the Subsurface Resonator to essentially provide an "audio x-ray". If after turning it on, it resounds with a specific resonance - it could then help with calculating distances needed to mine.

DG-4? Lol. There's no DG-4. The DG-2 is the Wunderwaffe. The DG-3 is the upgraded Wunderwaffe. (The Wunderwaffe DG-3 JZ). Richtofen once called the Thundergun the DG-3. However, we already have a DG-3, so it is generally believed that Richtofen was simply mistaken. He said many other things in Kino that did not make sense as well. He might've been a bit loopy from the time travel.

DG-4? Lol. There's no DG-4. The DG-2 is the Wunderwaffe. The DG-3 is the upgraded Wunderwaffe. (The Wunderwaffe DG-3 JZ). Richtofen once called the Thundergun the DG-3. However, we already have a DG-3, so it is generally believed that Richtofen was simply mistaken. He said many other things in Kino that did not make sense as well. He might've been a bit loopy from the time travel.

is there an abbreviation for the Thundergun? It appears that I may be loopy from time travel as well. :lol:

No sorry. lol You can put "WW" for Wonder Weapon.

Fair enough. Thanks! lol

--------------------------------------------------------------

So the Thunder Gun in itself has enough technology to combine a Subsurface Resonator & a Turbine. Pretty cool. I wonder if the Thunder Gun could be used for mineral extraction as well...

No sorry. lol You can put "WW" for Wonder Weapon.

Fair enough. Thanks! lol

--------------------------------------------------------------

So the Thunder Gun in itself has enough technology to combine a Subsurface Resonator & a Turbine. Pretty cool. I wonder if the Thunder Gun could be used for mineral extraction as well...

I doubt it. I think the Subsurface Resonator was for mining. But I see the Thundergun as being weaponized.

Thank you.

Grill, I just wanted to make you aware I mentioned this in my storyline. I mean, I've mentioned the possibility of adding something about it:

Now, that brings us up to the point where Maxis would be there. Btw, I suggest we add something about the Thundergun. Grill made a good point how the Thundergun seems to be an advanced Subsurface Resonator. We know for a fact that 935 was working on a Thundergun. What if they got this Subsurface Resonator from Porter, Porter built upon it, sending it back to 935 at Der Riese. Of course, there would be little time to work on it, considering the timeframe. But that would explain why 935 never got it working. Only when the Russians had a chance to would it work.

@MMX, the parts for the Resonator are the Bearings, Stand, Speaker and some Circuits.

Thanks Misty! Isn't there a Roulette wheel in there?

Thank you.

Grill, I just wanted to make you aware I mentioned this in my storyline. I mean, I've mentioned the possibility of adding something about it...

I'm honored! thanks for the heads up. hopefully this small tidbit can lead to more. I'm going to go in game and take a closer look at all of the components that make up the Resonator.

@MMX, the parts for the Resonator are the Bearings, Stand, Speaker and some Circuits.

Thanks Misty! Isn't there a Roulette wheel in there?

Thank you.

Grill, I just wanted to make you aware I mentioned this in my storyline. I mean, I've mentioned the possibility of adding something about it...

I'm honored! thanks for the heads up. hopefully this small tidbit can lead to more. I'm going to go in game and take a closer look at all of the components that make up the Resonator.

I Think the Roulette Wheel is apart of the stand/the Speaker. but im not sure.

I look forward to any findings you have. If you could check out my thread, you can see our line of reasoning on why we think Dr. H. Porter was there. So, given that, do you think H. Porter or Michael Faraday or none of the above made the Subsurface Resonator?

Also, subsurface scattering is a term used often enough in the development pipeline of video games, but more so towards the end when it comes to lighting. I think the word "subsurface" could be a pun in that regard. Just a fun fact.