Strange burning circle at GG's sky

Sorry if this has been mentioned but I've never read any info on this. A few days ago we were doing pop goes the weasel trophy and during the step where you have your first visit to GGB I was messing around and looked up to see a small red flicker in the sky facing back towards the prison.

At first I thought it could be a light from the light house but it really is up in the sky so I doubt that could be it, and the fact that it pulses also disproves it to me.

Secondly I thought the game had glitched because usually when I'm flying I'll throw my hells retriever and watch it try to catch back up to me. So it made sense that it was just up there spinning because it never got back to me (even though you can still use it). So I started a second, solo game and I had the hells retriever but I did not throw it this time on my way to the GGB, it was still there!

So it leaves me to believe that this might be the beginning tear in the rift? I try not to over analyze it because as long as the game is out surely someone has seen this and done research, I just couldn't find anything on these forums so thought I'd share it :)

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You could very well be right, I'll need to test when I get home. Both times I noticed the light I had not moved the box, but I cannot tell you if they had spawned in the same spot both games. If I had to guess I would say the spot I seen looked to maybe be at the Wardens Office.

I will find out if moving the box changes the location tonight, someone on the bridge and someone moving the box should do it, but I'll leave and return to the bridge just in case you can't be on the bridge to have the "box light" move.

With all the little stuff Treyarch does, it's just hard for me to let the little things go :lol:

And another small question without diverting from the main topic too much, when you take off from the prison on the plane the GGB always looks to be to the right of us, like we're going to pass right by it, then a flash and we are headed right straight for it. Do you think the plane turns and we don't get to see it or is the white flash us being placed in front of it so we don't fall into the water?

I believe the orange glow is in fact Hell's Retriever. I mean, most often you will feed the 3 dogs before heading off, so almost always you'll see it on your first trip.

Like Moon, Alcatraz has two seperate maps. Alcatraz itself, and Golden Gate Bridge. GGB is in fact located diagonally under the Alcatraz map. You can tell by having someone go down on Alcatraz while you're on GGB, and the Revive sign will just be up in the sky randomly.

But unlike Moon, you don't all have to get on the Icarus or electric chairs to change map location. In Moon, most assets were unloaded on Griffin Station if you were at Area 51, and vice versa. But this isn't the case for Mob of the Dead. There seems to be a draw limiter for the whole map, but it doesn't seem to apply to the Retriever and it's aura for some reason.

But yes, you'll notice that when the Icarus suddenly just changes it's arc, that is when you were teleported/moved to GGB under Alcatraz. Go in Theatre, and you should still be able to see the Box light before the Icarus has crashed.

The orange light in the sky IS the box light.

This can be confirmed by staying on the bridge in a co-op game while your team-mates return to the island.

Watch as their afterlife symbols appear beside the light, followed by their GT's.

Final confirmation is watching the light disappear when the box moves, and reappearing when the box respawns.

The orange light in the sky IS the box light.

This can be confirmed by staying on the bridge in a co-op game while your team-mates return to the island.

Watch as their afterlife symbols appear beside the light, followed by their GT's.

Final confirmation is watching the light disappear when the box moves, and reappearing when the box respawns.

Sorry Zen are you sure about that last part? I tested it online last night and in fact the afterlife symbol appears near the light, but two things, they were not near the box when they died (was in Wardens office and he was downed near the B23R) and I stayed on the bridge while they moved the box, the light never died or moved. It could be a console thing because I know you play xbox and I play ps3. I will test it over again to double check when I get off work.

• 3 weeks later...

This is absolutely not the box light and know that this light is visible even on the island, look through the windows of the infirmary, for example.

Well, I have seen the light disappear when people have been on the island, but having went over a previous match to test out the theory, the light did NOT disappear when the box moved, but did disappear briefly when people threw their Retriever into the pit, so I am now of the persuasion that the orange light may infact be the orange glow from the pit instead.

My apologies for the mistake. I am sure I have seen it move/disappear when people were hitting the box but I am still putting it down to being a graphical mistake on the Dev's part.

So... NOT the box light, but probably the glow from the pit!?

One thing I'd like to point out about this is that the dot is awfully close to the GG bridge. It's not a large light far away, its a small one that's close enough to the point that if you ADS on it and walk sideways, you can see it move to the side against the backdrop of clouds.

I wish I could video tape what I mean and show you guys what I mean. The reason I think it's more than a glitch is because it wasn't patched with the major MotD update we had a few weeks ago.