ADFGX cipher

Silver_Is_Pro

On 11/16/2017 at 1:05 PM, Silv3r Energy said:

Sorry if this is too old of a post to comment on, but has anyone used "VICTIS" as a keyword? I saw it on another thread but I was on a different computer and wasn't signed in to just link it here. I'd run it myself but I haven't a damn clue how to insert everything into a decoder.

I don't believe in the idea that Blundell had everything regarding the Zombies Timeline figured out 5 years ago.

That being said, he is a mysterious man. So... perhaps we may find something if we do try anything we find. I'm unsure that "Victis" would work, but I don't doubt your logic on the matter.

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A different way of looking at the Mob of the Dead ADFGX Code...

I come back to this cipher every so often, starting my research again (which usually leads nowhere), and then after a while of trying to solve it, eventually put it aside for another couple of months before trying it again. I usually start out by googling it to see if any new forums or pages or videos have been added with new information regarding it (and usually nothing ever comes up of any interest), and this time around I actually found something that had got me thinking! The original post can be viewed HERE, so I do not try and take any credit for it.

The post explains about how someone might have found a new alphabet for the ADFGX code, but what caught my attention is about prisoners using secret messages! Now with all the prison documentaries I have watched, I am surprised I did not think of it myself, but secret messages are quite a big thing in there! And when you are constructing a plane to fly off and escape one of the hardest prisons to escape, I would imagine they would have used some secret messages from time to time!

I started to think about the code differently after finding that post, not along the lines of an "impossible" or "super hard" code to solve, but now thinking of it along the lines of a prisoner needing to know that information, and how would I crack it, or even better yet, how would the creator WANT me to crack it! Thinking like that has helped me notice some things that do stand out to the naked eye, but stand out even more as being one of those things that make me wonder why it is there or why it is like it, which I am about to explain in some fairly decent detail now.

The Code:
FFGXGD
GFFAGF
GGDDGF
FFXXFF
FDGFFG
FDGFFG
FDGGFF
FGFGAA
FXFXDX
XFXDGF
FAGGFF
        AF

Lets start with some of the basics, I am not going to go over every bit of information that has ever been speculated or found regarding this code, just what I think is useful.
⦁    The code is 34 characters long (so much work for such small information).
⦁    The key is a 6 character long word, with the first 2 letters being higher in the alphabet than the rest of the letters (which we know because the last row has them at the far right).
⦁    The code is not a complete ADFGX code. A completed ADFGX code would write out the columns as rows (which would make the code read out "FGGFFFFFFXF FFGFDDDGXFA GFDXGGGFFXG XADXFFGGXDG GGGFFFFADGFA DFFFGGFAXFFF"), why did Al (or something else...) never finish it?

Now for some information that seems a bit off, some information that if I was a prisoner (or a guard) trying to decode a code, I would be looking at.
⦁    On the main loading screen, which is the screen with the ADFGX code on it, why is "Airplanes" circled? Now, do not get me wrong, I do understand they chose an airplane over a balloon... But when I make a list I usually cross out the ones I do not think are good ideas, which whoever made the page, does know how to cross out (or scribble out) judging by the big mess found over the code, or even the boat, balloon, and propeller plane under the list. It just strikes me as odd that someone doesn't cross out bad ideas on a list...
⦁    All the big lettered, exclamation mark parts on the page are 6 letters? FORGET! (which could not be the key word as alphabetically is "eFgOrt", and the first 2 letters do not match up with the code), MYHEAD! (could be the key word, as alphabetically is "adehMY"), PORTALS! (minus the S, but no key word, "alOPrt"), and ISLAND! (which again, no key, "adIlnS").
⦁    The little map at the bottom showing Alcatraz, San Francisco, and the surrounding California area is... well, you have to turn the page upside down, and rotate it clockwise 90 degrees for it to be right. The only reason I mentioned this is, well what if that is a guide to how we should be looking at the code? What if we have been reading it wrong the whole time because we didn't rotate the picture to match the map!? Just a theory...
⦁    Why is the saying "A Cat Has 9 Lives" on there? I do get it purr-tains (hehe...) a little to the whole thing of the map, of going down and being able to revive, but it is still so off! I did do a little research on it, and it turns out that is not the full saying, which is: "A cat has nine lives. For three he plays, for three he strays, and for the last three he stays.", which does sound a little odd...
⦁    The newspaper behind the code! That has drove me insane since the first time I have seen it! It has 0 business being there and nothing to do with the map, the characters, the code, it sticks out like a sore thumb to me! That was one of the first thing I have done research on, and still am to this day. I finally found the front page that says "Wall St. In Panic As Stocks Crash", and with a little more research came up with THIS, which is where you can view and read the whole newspaper! Now the picture I found and that front page are slightly different, with the headlines being different and the time being different (the picture I found says 1:15 (ha)) with that one saying 3:30 PM. I will try to upload the picture I found, but can not promise anything...
⦁    I just thought I would also mention I am doing a little research on the newspaper that Finn is reading during the trailer. The only thing I have really found about that is it is from The San Francisco News, Friday May 28, 1937, and the headline reads "Thunder Over Gate! Autos to Roar Across Span At Noon; Planes to Parade", which goes a lot better with the map as that is when the Golden Gate Bridge opened.

Now onto some of the information I have found regarding secret messages in prisons.
⦁    Now, I will go over a little of what the original post I found talks about with Tap Code. Tap code is like morse code for prisoners, except it uses a Polybius Square and just 1 sounding tap. If someone is trying to spell "HI" they would tap 3 times, 2 times, 4 times, 2 times. The listener would hear the first tap and think A, the second tap and think B, and the third tap would be C/K, the tapper would pause, then tap again and the listener would think C/K, the second tap would be H, another pause, 4 taps to get to D, and then another pause and 2 more taps to move down to I. Not very complicated, but a simple way for prisoners to communicate without paper... Unfortunately our code IS on paper, so about the only help the Tap Code would give is that instead of connecting the I/J in the Polybius Square (which is what ADFGX codes do), we would connect the C/K, which is what the original poster of that topic pointed out.
⦁    A couple other ciphers that prisoners use (that might be of help to us) is the Two and Four Square ciphers. What they do is take 2 keywords, with either 2 or 4 Polybius Squares, and well, just do a little search to check them out yourself, they are quite complicated to explain...
⦁    A couple others are Skip Ciphers, which can either be letters or words, but is when you are reading something, every certain number of characters or words you skip, and combining it makes a secret message.
⦁    So... This is going to sound depressing but this is what I have been waiting to share, and probably the most important of them all. If Treyarch truly wanted to make an impossible to crack code, they could easily take a message, run it through a type of cipher, then take that output, and run it through lets say, maybe an ADFGX cipher... We could have already of seen the cracked ADFGX code, but because it was ran through a totally different type of cipher, that we have no clue of what it is, it would truly be impossible to crack. Thankfully, I do not think Treyarch is that cruel... Maybe...

Hopefully I am not the only one still trying to get to the bottom of this! This code is one of those things always in the back of my mind!

• 5 months later...
25 minutes ago, Boom115 said:

Yeah I'm amped that it was finally solved, but bummed that it added nothing significant (at least not now) and bothered that we have had the answer all this time. Also a spelling error????  <sodemoji.1f621><sodemoji.1f621><sodemoji.1f621><sodemoji.1f621><sodemoji.1f621><sodemoji.1f621><sodemoji.1f621><sodemoji.1f621></sodemoji.1f621></sodemoji.1f621></sodemoji.1f621></sodemoji.1f621></sodemoji.1f621></sodemoji.1f621></sodemoji.1f621></sodemoji.1f621>

Yeah I'm with you on this. They should have addressed the error really, maybe updated the loading screen or something.

Considering we had the solition to this cipher before MotD even dropped too, yeah a bit of a let down really.

Makes me think of the other unsolved ciphers though. They could also be in another language. Do we have a list on here anywhere of all the ones still to be cracked?

48 minutes ago, WaterKH said:

I know there are 2 on TG, 1 on DE, 2 on GK and then all but 4(?) are unsolved on Rev. I'll have to get back to you on the specifics though

Yeah, I think I'd personally like to know what we got to deal with.

...and if we want to take this over to the one page linked above, up to you guys... may as well. Not sure if my list was perfect for the ciphers we have left to deal with.

Archived