Timeframe of BO2 Zombies

Okay, so we all know there has been some debate (for lack of a better term) on when exactly Zombies in BO2 takes place.

Many well known people, including RotflWaffles, are under the impression that Green Run takes place during the Cold War Era.

But, I have another theory that, if true, could explain several things.

Now, I have been told that judging a map's timeframe by its weapons isn't viable. But be honest: Many of the weapons used in BO2 CAMPAIGN have variations that are in use today. If the rockets hit earth in the late 60's/early 70's, these weapons couldn't have been invented. People would be too busy trying to survive the zombie apocolypse.

Now, going off topic for a moment, the timeframe of Call of the Dead has also been called into question. I don't know what others think, but I, myself, think of the map as taking place on the EXACT DATE AND EXACT YEAR that the ESCALATION Map Pack was released on Xbox.

Using this logic, we could probably assume that Moon takes place on the EXACT DAY AND YEAR the REZURRECTION Map Pack was released (for Xbox, of course).

This would mean that the weapons we are using in BO2 would have had time to be invented, and thus are being used to slaughter the Undead.

Does this make any sense to you guys? Comment or criticize, your choice, below.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe Flammenwerfer is pretty close to the time-frame. Since it has been proven that guns don't matter as a means of a time scale, look at the character quotes. Look at Maxis quotes. The characters have grown up around this new world. Marlton has quotes that suggest he never knew what society was like.

Maxis has quotes that suggest that he was searching for decades before he found signs of life. We know from the farm TV that others have been contacted before or during the Green Run events. This means that the characters are a minimum of 20 years old.

If every character was born during or after the missles, they are a minimum of twenty years old. As Marlton is dubbed the youngest, and everyone else looks older, I'd say the others were born a little before the nukes hit and never really experienced the "real life" before hand. Marlton has to be around the age of twenty, as he knows too much about everything. He is of the legal age of 18 or other, that I think we can agree on.

I view Green Run as being around the current time, plus or minus a few years. I don't think we are quite in the future yet, but I feel this next map will bring us closer, not further.

You definately make some valid points there DB4D.

I think it's too early to tell either way & we may not find out anymore until DLC 2?

- I like your reference to Misty & Marlton's quotes about not really knowing life prior to the Apocalypse.

- remember the confrontation between Richtofen & Maxis where Maxis entered either the computer system or pyramid vial (at moon) happened around 1945, so decades at a minimum 20 years, could still be the mid 60's (but that is irrelevant)

- Marlton is in the fallout bunker at Nuketown, which I believe must of occured in the 1960's (surely the US government wasn't testing Nuclear Devices in the present time?) So either Green Run is lot long after Nuketown, or Marlton was Teleported/Time Travelled (Banished?) back to Nuketown (I'm not to sure IF they can go back in time, unless it was a different type of MTD)

Great points though Death. We can only find out what's going on.

viewtopic.php?f=100&t=18279

'80's

For the Call of the Dead paradox:

Multi-dimensional theory / timeline, i.e. the "Paradox-Fixer"

Time Chart

We start our journey at Der Riese. They time travel to Kino der Toten, yes? And they skip about 20 years. This is why there is a big loop in the cyan timeline. Bending time into a loop allows one to cross over into another time.

Go further on and you see the timeline intertwines with an earlier part of the timeline. This is where Richtofen leaves Kino for Ascension, which is a few years earlier. However, you must remember that going backwards in time creates a new timeline. So time for them now goes forward in the navy-blue timeline.

They then travel forward to Call of the Dead, creating a loop of 40 years that they skipped. Going forward a bit, the timeline intertwines with an earlier part of the timeline. This is where Richtofen leaves Call of the Dead for Shangri-La, which is earlier in the timeline. This creates a third timeline.

They aren't there for very long until they go back in time again. You notice that this is where the timeline again intertwines with an earlier part of the timeline, branching off into a fourth timeline.

Then, when you finish the first step of the Easter Egg in Shangri-La, you skip a loop and go into the future. Then the next step you go back in time again, creating another timeline. This is done 6 more times, creating a total of 10 timelines.

On the last step of the Easter Egg, you go back in time, creating another timeline, the 11th, and then you skip a few years ahead back to the "present" of Shangri-La. That is why that small purple loop is there.

When you jump back to the time of Moon, you're going to 1967, which is quite a ways back. That is back when timeline #'s 2 to 11 were all just timeline 2. So the purple timeline intertwines with a segment of the navy-blue timeline, and this is where Richtofen went back in time to the time of Moon, which creates timeline #12. This is the one that ends with the world being destroyed.

Also, if you notice the Black Ops II campaign does take place, it is just in a different timeline from the one in Zombies. It is in the original. Basically, the Black Ops II campaign is what would have happened if Richtofen never did the things he did.