When did the Zetsubou Brock and Gary cipher take place exactly?

RadZakpak

• Moderators

I'd like to start some general discussion on this topic as it has kind of confused me and I have not seen a general consensus on it, and that topic is: When does the Zetsubou No Shima Brock and Gary cipher take place? And in what timeline of events? Here is the cipher translation in question:

"Urgent telegram. We have just received word that the private plane carrying the expedition crew encountered freak atmospheric event which caused it to crash, killing all on board including the famous explorers Brock and Gary. This comes weeks after their announcement about the location of Shangri-La."

Now I ask, is this freak atmospheric event something that happened after Richtofen and co. help Brock and Gary escape Shangri-la? Or is this cipher meant to imply the world thinks they died in the plane crash, when in actuality they survived, and continue through the events of the map Shangri-La? This would have to mean they knew about the location of Shangri-La before the actual expedition, which is not implausible given Brock seems to know about the zombies before the events of the map. Or is it meant to be in an alternate timeline where a freak atmospheric event occurs, causing them to actually die before or after the events of Shangri-La? And is it related to the plane we shoot down in Zetsubou No Shima?

I'd like to get some opinions on the proper interpretation of this cipher because I am pretty stumped on the intended meaning.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

On the Shangri La loading screen, an eclipse, a tornado and three Vimanas can be seen flying. This stuff I found in this post:

Spoiler

According to the The Vaim?nika Sh?stra (Science of Aeronautics), ancient Vimanas were powered by something called a Mercury Vortex Engine.

The Mercury Vortex Engine is creating the Tornado. It needs a special type of solar energy from the eclipse, in order to be activated.

There were text within The Vaim?nika Sh?stra that talked about Vimanas being powered by a Solar energy, and then switching to a free-form type of energy that sounded much like Anti-Gravity.

According to Knapp, the Vaimanika Shastra describes in detail, the construction of what is called, the mercury vortex engine the forerunner of the ion engines being made today by NASA. Knapp adds that additional information on the mercury engines can be found in the ancient Vedic text called Samaranga Sutradhara. This text also devotes 230 verses, to the use of these machines in peace and war. The Indologist William Clarendon, who has written down a detailed description of the mercury vortex engine in his translation of Samaranga Sutradhara quotes thus,

‘Inside the circular air frame, place the mercury-engine with its solar mercury boiler at the aircraft center. By means of the power latent in the heated mercury which sets the driving whirlwind in motion a man sitting inside may travel a great distance in a most marvellous manner. Four strong mercury containers must be built into the interior structure. When these have been heated by fire through solar or other sources the Vimana (aircraft) develops thunder-power through the mercury.

"Hereth, verily the scientists know the similar hidden striking force of the rays of the sun working in the orbit of the moon." Atharva-veda 20.41.1

So to use a Vimana, an eclipse is needed to power the tornado that helps the Vimana enter the sky. If the Vrill Ya were capable of manipulating/travelling though time, it could be possible that that is the reason of the 4 buttons that "activate" the eclipse in Shangri La. When the alien being wanted to use their flying temples, they could simply press the four buttons/carvings, with as a result the whole city traveling back in time to the year in which the eclipse took place (possibly millions of years ago). The eclipse powers the Vimana, and voila: The Vrill Ya could use their spacecrafts.

Now this radio can be activated in Shangri La:

Spoiler

Brock: I have found some unfinished carvings around the structures I can't make out. They do not look like... wait... what is this?
*presses button, teleporter activates, plus strange stringed music*
Gary: What the hell was that? Why is the sky dark?
Brock: It's an eclipse, we must have-
Gary: RUN!
*Zombies moaning and characters running*
Gary: What are those things?
Brock: Zombies. We have to find another way.
Gary: ZOMBIES?! What are you talking about?
Brock: The writings must have been right, th- NO! DON'T TOUCH THAT!
*hear moving stone*
Brock: Damn, take a look around and try to find a way out.

So Brock and Gary use the eclipse buttons too. That means that they originally live in a different time than the eclipse too, just as the O4.

As I said, an eclipse can be seen in the Shangri La loading screen. In the Moon loading screen, the word "meanwhile" is written in the left-top of the comic panels. That means that that loading screen happens at the same moment as the eclipse that someone activates in the secret timetravelling city (Who activates it? Brock & Gary? The O4?). The astronauts in the Moon comic page are still not indentified. Could they be 935 scientists (around 1945)? Could they be the astronauts of the first Moon landing (around 1965) ? Could it be the O4?

And that "admospheric freak events" is certainly important too. Are it the light flashes we see in ZNS or the "aurora borealis" Peter McCain talks about and the portal that took Primis to Stalingrad?

• Administrators

There are 2 possible scenarios in which could've happened:

a) Brock and Gary plus their expedition crew visit Shangri-la for the first time, when suddenly the plane crashes. But somehow, they are the only survivors and thus the events of Black Ops' Shangri-la occurs. We know their fate is death regardless since they are stuck in a loop.

b) Brock and Gary, upon visiting Shangri-la the first time by themselves, never died from being trapped, and managed to return home to report their findings. When they took their expedition crew on a trip to Shangri-la, the plane crashed and everyone including Brock and Gary died.

And based on the radio in Revelations - the one where the woman purposefully kills Brock and Gary in Shangri-la because they were "so annoying" - I feel more inclined to believe Option A holds true regardless which universe has it happen.

Now as far as what the freak event was, it could've very well been the borealis that @anonymous mentioned. The only other thing that I could think of is the 115 meteor hitting the plane causing it to crash, but in this particular universe, happens now instead of back in the past. Which would mean Brock and Gary never time traveled.

I only believe this as a plausible scenario due to the Apothicons breaching our universes and disrupting them by shooting 115 rocks into our timelines, as shown in the Revelations opening.

When I first heard it, I thought it was like "oh this universe has Brock and Gary in the 40's and those versions died" for some odd reason. I mean why would it be like that, doesn't really serve a purpose. But then it says telegram. Telegrams wouldn't be used for something like that, if we still assume Shang and their radios were in the 2000's/2010's.

But then you get that Revelations radio with Romero's assistant. Goes back to the Brock and Gary we know (with terrible replacement lines), and doesn't even really connect to that ZNS one.

So I guess I have no idea.

Archived