The bane of my existence: Freeloaders

These kinds of people are the WORST to me, particularly in the maps: Origins, and Mob of the dead. And to be more specific, those who want to take the free blundergat and a specific staff. 

See I'm a reasonable guy whom fallows reasonable rules: 

-Guy who gets blundergat from the box does not get free blundergat unless no one else wants it. 

-Guy who collects the most blue skulls gets the free blundergat (unless the blundergat's assignment has been pre-determined) 

-Don't touch another person's staff (especially with recent glitches) 

-A staff is yours if the lobby as a majority deems you to have it.

-The person who claims a staff is responsible for building and using it. 

-Shovels are first-come first serve, claiming one to settle a staff dispute is acceptable, claiming one because you are getting the ice staff is not. 

Occasionally I bring out what I call character roulette: Where every character is assigned to his preferred staff: 

Richtofen: Lightning

Tank: Wind

Takeo: Fire

Nikolai: Ice

When you spawn in, you are REQUIRED to use that staff based on the character you are, no if-ands or buts about it. 

People who do not abide by these rules are the MOST unpleasant people in the world: 

That jerk that took the blundergat you just ran around the whole map for

That jerk that took your fire staff because he doesn't want to be stuck with wind. 

Yeah, you know the one…. What are some experiences of yours? 

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators

I don't see assigning people "duties" or guidelines to follow by is good. I know it's to prevent bad players from taking certain weapons where they don't deserve it, but there are so many ways to deal with that outside of acting like a dictator.

If someone acts as a true freeloader - refusing to open doors, hogging the Mystery Box, not assisting in particular objectives (i.e. activating generators, preparing teleporters, etc etc) - and it comes to that case, then I allow them to go down on their own. I won't be the one to revive them. Then whatever weapon they "stole" is up for grabs to those who did all the work during the match. This generally forces the bad sport to rage quit, and I say GOOD.

Its gotten to the point in the lifecycle that I have started to deem myself the one who deserves the wonder weapon on most maps, especially with randoms. For example: I am one of four people with a mic in Die Rise. The guy who is one-barring and constantly goes down and the kid who's game sound is echoing through his kinect mic that is simultaneously inside of his mouth both say they want the sliquifier. The other guy either falls off the tower or hops in a glitch -__- I've found out by now that I am usually the only person competent enough to wield the goo-slinging gun in the lobby, and proceed to put two parts on, grab a final part, and wait for the other guys to look for the last one after they put their part on. Once they go up to power, I finish the gun and hop on an elevator before they notice. This has helped them much more in the long run, as they are the ones getting revived while I am kept safe by the pink sludge. ;) In Origins, all people ever ask for is the fire or ice staff, but when I am the only one buying doors as they hit the box, I think its fair for me to have first pick on what I want, especially considering I've normally got 7+ revives before the team gets to No Man's Land. Buried disgusts me and I don't foresee myself ever playing with randoms on that map. On black ops 1, I wait for the people to go down with the baby gun, thunder gun, whatever as their mule kick weapon and spam box: at that point in the game, the only thing I can say is "It's for the greater good." Randoms are quite the challenge to deal with, so you have to become the freeloader you hate sometimes.

I don't see assigning people "duties" or guidelines to follow by is good. I know it's to prevent bad players from taking certain weapons where they don't deserve it, but there are so many ways to deal with that outside of acting like a dictator.

If someone acts as a true freeloader - refusing to open doors, hogging the Mystery Box, not assisting in particular objectives (i.e. activating generators, preparing teleporters, etc etc) - and it comes to that case, then I allow them to go down on their own. I won't be the one to revive them. Then whatever weapon they "stole" is up for grabs to those who did all the work during the match. This generally forces the bad sport to rage quit, and I say GOOD.

It's not acting like a dictator, it's acting like a democracy, everyone agrees on what they want before hand, but that one jerk that lies and takes what he wants, leaving the rest of us in disappointment. 

Thing is, why do that? The game is either going to go one of two ways: 

- Jerk goes down, rage quits, everyone leaves. 

- Jerk keeps his stubborn attitude, gets to high rounds, and learns nothing. He wins. He is rewarded for his selfishness. I'd rather see justice by taking what he wanted away from him (a good game). 

totally disagree with this one... sorry!

there are a ton of things that can alter the course of a game.  This is one reason I am staunchly against "calling" staffs before the game starts.  I think the staffs should be acquired based on need.  for instance player A called ice staff,  player C goes down and bleeds out in round 8.  Which is better for the team, allowing player C to pick up the ice staff that player A had build and adjust the game plan accordingly, or be rigid and inflexible and leave him to fend for himself with no points and a Mauser?

same could be said for the sliquifier, or free blundergat as well... makes more sense though in origins, to me, to go with the flow of the game rather than some lame pre-game "calling" bs

Considering that Players do NOT spawn within close enough proximity to effectively get to the ice staff and use it to escape the close-quarters crypt where they will inevitably go down, not to mention losing the staff permanently just from picking it up, yes C is better to earn points with a mauser and just stick with another player until he can afford a gun and fend for himself. 

There's no reason to hate on calling staffs before a match, it helps derive which players are the least mature: 

Ok so I WANT the fire staff :   Maturity level: 5 

I'm only going to play If I get the fire staff!: Maturity level: 1

I'm fine with all staffs with the exception of XXXXX: Maturity level 8

I'm fine with anything: No preference generally means they have not been to high rounds and don't know which staff wields the best to them: Maturity 10, skill lesser so. 

I'm fine with anything , but I prefer XXXXX: Maturity 10, skill: normal. 

And on a final note: Staffs are glitched now so that the person who builds it MUST be the one to wield it, this completely defeats the purpose of acquiring staffs via need. Staffs will have to be acquired by choice from now on or else risk the chance of losing a staff. 

Considering that Players do NOT spawn within close enough proximity to effectively get to the ice staff and use it to escape the close-quarters crypt where they will inevitably go down, not to mention losing the staff permanently just from picking it up, yes C is better to earn points with a mauser and just stick with another player until he can afford a gun and fend for himself. 

There's no reason to hate on calling staffs before a match, it helps derive which players are the least mature: 

Ok so I WANT the fire staff :   Maturity level: 5 

I'm only going to play If I get the fire staff!: Maturity level: 1

I'm fine with all staffs with the exception of XXXXX: Maturity level 8

I'm fine with anything: No preference generally means they have not been to high rounds and don't know which staff wields the best to them: Maturity 10, skill lesser so. 

I'm fine with anything , but I prefer XXXXX: Maturity 10, skill: normal. 

And on a final note: Staffs are glitched now so that the person who builds it MUST be the one to wield it, this completely defeats the purpose of acquiring staffs via need. Staffs will have to be acquired by choice from now on or else risk the chance of losing a staff. 

agree to disagree i guess.

Im fine with any staff. Any calling of staffs automatically makes one sound 10 years old. like I call monkey bars! at recess or something.  not caring what weapons you may or may not get is maturity level: highest.  the reasons being this:  A) games with randoms very rarely last long enough to build/upgrade staffs. B) in games with randoms, rarely do you get to a high enough round where a staff is even necessary and I can survive just fine with a Boomhilda and Spattz. C) they are all wonder weapons and are bad ass.  unless there is a legit chance of getting to 40-50 (6-7 hour game) then who has what staff should really not matter one bit. 

and to your point, about not spawning close enough to get the staff at beginning of a round. with my friends we've done this plenty of times and it works fine.  just have someone who has jugg/QR/ray gun/staff whatever to protect until out of the excavation site.   

Now i will give you this, I haven't played in a while and am not familiar with any glitch that makes staffs disappear, so my reasoning is based on the assumption that nothing goes wrong with the game glitch/coding wise

A is a lie, I have played MANY games in which I have gotten FAR past building staffs. 

And yeah, coding is ALL kinds of messed up. The amount of BS caused by a few little jerks glitching the game to have more then one staff is horrible… I barely even make it through games anymore without someone losing a staff or glitching out the map in some horrid way. 

Thing is, those are friends you play with when you survive going underneath, with randoms it's much more difficult, typically someone fails to save the zombie, not everyone is at the excavation site, or the guy who spawns in just has NO idea what he's doing…. Much harder to keep that little guy alive with a boomhilda or Spattz then with a staff with a revive tool on the end. 

Also, it DOES really matter what staff you have: 

Take the wind staff: Holds a grand total of 3 shots in it's cannon, that may work fine those 3 times, but it's then fallowed up by a somewhat long reload, time in which you are VERY exposed to zombie attacks. Where as the fire staff incinerates instantly. The lightning staff has enough amo to suffice, and sadly the ice staff can sometimes freeze, but zombies will still get by not long after to double swipe the MESS out of you in the mud. 

Also, remember, everyone in the lobby is being WAY too optimistic, expecting to make it to 30 or higher, when the staffs are becoming more and more obsolete. 

Not to mention the Lag recovery factor….

A is a lie, I have played MANY games in which I have gotten FAR past building staffs. 

And yeah, coding is ALL kinds of messed up. The amount of BS caused by a few little jerks glitching the game to have more then one staff is horrible… I barely even make it through games anymore without someone losing a staff or glitching out the map in some horrid way. 

Thing is, those are friends you play with when you survive going underneath, with randoms it's much more difficult, typically someone fails to save the zombie, not everyone is at the excavation site, or the guy who spawns in just has NO idea what he's doing…. Much harder to keep that little guy alive with a boomhilda or Spattz then with a staff with a revive tool on the end. 

Also, it DOES really matter what staff you have: 

Take the wind staff: Holds a grand total of 3 shots in it's cannon, that may work fine those 3 times, but it's then fallowed up by a somewhat long reload, time in which you are VERY exposed to zombie attacks. Where as the fire staff incinerates instantly. The lightning staff has enough amo to suffice, and sadly the ice staff can sometimes freeze, but zombies will still get by not long after to double swipe the MESS out of you in the mud. 

Also, remember, everyone in the lobby is being WAY too optimistic, expecting to make it to 30 or higher, when the staffs are becoming more and more obsolete. 

Not to mention the Lag recovery factor….

Dont really know what you mean by any of that.  The staffs are still plenty good up to 30, especially upgraded, but so are other upgraded guns.  And to your point about "A is a lie" i didnt mean it is impossible, but its awfully rare.  i would guess 1/20 games with randoms actually get to round 25+ with all 4 players still in the game.  I feel like that is optimistic too. (origins only, its very common on buried)