Spam

• Tech Admin

You all know it, you all hate it and if we wanted a ** BANNED WORD ** we would go to a reputable company and buy one from them.

Anyway, we hate spam as much as you. We have several things in place to combat spam, the two most recently registered accounts balotelii and seznc are both spammers, unfortunately the system didn't think it was likely to be spam when these accounts registered. Both topics are spam, both topics are ** BANNED WORD **

So, the use of the word k i t c h e n is a banned word and below is how it will appear. I'm still updating the banned word filter, so if you can think of any possible ways of spelling k i t c h e n - let us know below.

** BANNED WORD **

So the use of that word is banned in any topic/post - it will be automatically be edited out, as well as several variations.

We also use several system to stop spam upon registration.

We use several questions designed for a human to answer and targeted at call of duty zombie players, they should easily know the answer and it should not prevent genuine registrations

We use a keycaptcha system, that requires someone who is registering, to put a simple jigsaw together, we also use Invision Forums own spam database. So any user on any IPB forum that is registered as a spammer or is logged as a spammer,. is added to the database (after checks by IPB etc).

We also use a service call stop forum spam, this database is utilized on a daily basis, here is an example email received as I type this post

b0f25a66df5e96ef076e8f72b8332eac.png

I've not blocked any of the detail within it, because it is genuine spam, it's a genuine spam account hosted by hotmail. It has been reported to hotmail, the IP address has been reported also to the relevant abuse team that leases the IP. So no need to do anything with the information but I don't see the point in hiding it.

We are also now utilizing the database from Project Honey Pot, a service that is trying to stop spam occurring, getting to the root of the problem before they even know the domain name. Keep up with the reports, we will stop them but unfortunately spammers are like an itchy arse, it just keeps coming back.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice email inquiry Craig. I spammed that same company before. It only let me do 2 or 3 & then blocked my IP address claiming my inquiry was spam!

EDIT - I posted about the guy who runs this company before. He even has a Wikipedia page which states his previous scams & criminal convictions.