Speed run guide/discussion thread

Chopper

Hey Guys,

I've been trying to write a speed guide for a while. It's the hardest one I've had to do.

This again is a big brain dump, so excuse the length and poor formatting of this.

Each and every game is different due to the map variables. There are a few ways to go about it, so I'll try and summarize.

There are 2 main options for generators.

• Generators all on by Round 9.

• 3 Generators on by Round 10

I always, always do the following regardless when going for a speed run that is, if not I'm getting monkeys now.

Round 1

Activate Generator 1, kill 10 knights. If you have 2 zombies in a row, try and get 6 shots in. I generally leave the round with 16 or so shots left.

Round 2 through 4

Stay in the bear gun area between spawn and generator 3. Just go for headshots, you don't want nukes. Check first shield location. Get sticky grenades.

Variable - Round 5

On your way back to spawn, check the fire tunnel for shield piece. Get QR. It actually makes the zombies spawn better anyway for what you do next.

Into spawn, do up the 2 windows upstairs, pick up your 2x and go for the head.

End of this round I will have 10k, pretty much always.

Whatever else happens, this doesn't change.

Variable - if it snows on 4, I will open generator 3 from the bear area just to dig there. It's a huge bonus getting the first Ice piece from this location. You can also check the shield location here too.

Round 6

Move to MP40 generator 2 area, find the shield piece, get claymores and get the blue disc.

End 6, keep a zombie and move to No Man’s Land. If you have problems staying on the generator, open the workshop door and camp at the window at the top, with the NML door behind you.

There's so much to do now, and getting the right order is the hardest by far. Firstly, you need to remember the best order. Then you need to be able adapt if things change.

Round 6 NML

Check for the first white disc location, and then loop round the other side of the PAP area to be able to check the first 2 footprints for the shield part, and the white disc location by church.

Turn on generator 4 and get Jugg. Do round 7 just on the generator, shouldn't have issues.

Round 8

Just deal with him....this round can take from 30 seconds with a zombie blood and nuke, to 3 minutes if you can't quite get him in the right place in regards to the zombies.

Round 9

3 Choices.

Pack a punch (Mauser to Boomhilda) at the end of 9. This is the safest option.

Pack a punch start of 10. Safest speed option

Pack a punch end of 10/11ish. Pure speed option.

The thing is, if you want to do it on round 9, you should have turned generator 2 and 3 on when you got to them. I sometimes do this....however, if you do not find the Ice piece on round 4 I wouldn't bother. You will have to come back here for 2 tasks regardless.....a staff piece, and the TS for the second Ice puzzle.

And then the issue is, doing it on 9 means probably 2 visits to generator 6, 1 more than is necessary.

You have to make the decision fairly early on. I just don't bother, but I'll explain how to do it.

If I was turning them all on by round 9, by the time I'm on round 6, potentially 5 are on. I would hit stamina before Jugg, purely for time.

I'd do 6 towards the end of 8 or 9. It's kinda hard to play quickly and get enough points for this option.

To PAP start of 10, you would have gone pretty much the same way, with the following difference.

By the end of 9, you need to grab the gramaphone, head to 6, go into the Ice tunnel to get the crystal and then turn on generator 6.

Once 10 starts, you then need to dig all of church before going to PAP. You need to beat the knights, and have the ability to do a shitty PAP.

And I still think this isn't the quickest.

I would go for option end of 10, 11ish PAP. I haven't fully decided if you save time Pack a punch before completing the Ice staff. Being able to shoot all the tombs with a Mauser is really cool, but having the Mauser pre doing this means you can smash through the rounds whilst doing the challenges for the Ice staff, to include the crafting.

So the quickest way to do it, ultimately, is by far the hardest.

You can take 5 - 7 minutes with one zombie on 10, to do it all safely. It's probably the best way to practice it.

For speed though, you need to be killing and building at the same time.

More on generators

If you are not going to Pack a punch until after round 10, or towards the end of the round you are risking losing generators, and therefore time. If you don't turn the generators on before 10, you will waste time turning them on later.

The most ideal is that the knights spawn close to you, or a nuke appears. If they go to 5 or 4, it's ok. If they go to 1, 2 or 3 it's going to cost you more time than you want.

Better the devil and all that. Everything about the speed run contradicts another aspect of it.

Now if you want to smash it, you have to go mental on 10.

In an ideal world, I have a piece from 4, generators 1, 4 and 5 are on.

All that really matters is that the round can't end until you have all the staff pieces.

You also have to be aware that if you do get the pieces, and finish the round but do not PAP you will have the knights on round 11.

I'd go straight to gen 6 start of the round, hitting the Jugg digs first but damage as many zombies as I can that are spawning behind me. A lot of these won't re-spawn due to the way damaged zombies don't if you get far enough away.

Hit all the digs, get the crystal. Return from the tunnel, keep damaging them, head to gen 5 from church. Hit the few digs there. Now, if you got the piece on round 4, there is a real good chance you have all the pieces now, which is perfect. Go back to 6 and get the crystal.

If you still only have 3 generators on, start round 11.

Now it's really tough. You have 3 generators on, a pistol and an MP40. Head straight to bottom of PAP, and build the staff. Now, go crazy and shoot everything you see with the Ice. Head back to 6, into the tunnel and build the staff. Before entering lob all your grenades in the footprint and tunnel....any damaged aren't re-spawning.

Do the first puzzle, and then get out. Turn on gen 6, head to Jugg and do the first 2 tombs. Head to 3 and turn it on, then 2 and turn it on. Do the last tomb, build the shield, Pack a punch your Mauser. End the round anytime now. Do the discs and kill everything you see using Mauser, ice staff or claymores.

Head back to tunnel at 6, and go get your staff.

You are now set. I've completed this process as early as 11, as late as 15.

Please let me know your thoughts, suggestions etc. I will definitely be posting more in here as the ideas come to me.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm. I'm not sure what you are trying to get accomplished in this speed run.

Just fastest to upgraded staff?

I'll usually get all 4 by 10, but it is more time consuming. Lightning would probably be quicker and is more effective on early rounds without wasting charged shots as the ice staff single shots are fairly useless.

So 1. What is your goal for this speed game?

And 2. White disk? Whut? There are 5 disks, one for each color staff and a black label one. No white labels that I'm aware of, but maybe I'm missing something? It happens... :)

Goal is 70 in 2 hours.

Ice staff is the only way to go.

White disc....I mean the one that opens to the bottom of PAP. Colours aren't my strong point, but I thought that one was white.

Gotcha. I wasn't trying to be jerky, i was just unsure. It has a black label with some white lines.

Ah. Yes, the lightning is only usable really until 40, so ice staff for sure if doing 70.

I will refrain from adding to your post then until i give this thought. I definitely start different than you, but i won't opine in the best strategy...yet.