Canon in the Zombies storyline

"I don't think treyarch would make it without an explanation" 

-Thrustodine

-Sliquifer

-Paralyzer

-Nuketown explosion

-Perma-perks

-Ray gun M2

Perma Perks are a gameplay mechanic, the buildable weapons could either be built by survivors- as it alludes to Marlton at least designing them or made by blue prints left by 935. Paralyzer is heavily alluded to be made by Michael Faraday- if not whats to say it doesnt make a return and get explained- like the Thundergun. Nuketown? Have you played it on multiplayer? Henry Porter made the Ray Gun, Porters X2 Ray Gun says it all.

Mother of god the arguments I can make towards this. I'm not because it would draw us WAY off topic, but... Jeese. 

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The whole storyline is hugely based on theories so its impossible to say whats "canon" and what isn't since Treyarch originally made up the story as they went. So who's to say they don't make it all just two kids playing and start fresh so that none of it mattered. Even in Tac's thread a while ago, They Are, They Exist: Zombies Knowledge, taking basic events we think are factual to the story line can still be hard to say for certain they went down exactly as so. Something as simple as Peter being the body at Shino, and later his grave there, could still change. Out of no where, in the  next map, Peter could be alive and be the one behind the Tranzit collars or something insane, and his death was all just a ruse since we never saw it. Or, again, its all in two kids minds. Unfortunately, unlike Der Riese and Moon,  the vagueness of Black Ops 2 and the Origins ending made it more difficult to theorize and figure out what is happening in the storyline.  Especially since it all might not matter. So who knows where they are going with it.

As far as this thread, I'd say MotD and Origins are part of the story line. Just not in the same way other maps are. MotD shows that there is a place where souls end up after they die and time goes on without them. That's the purpose of Stanley Ferguson's recording. They died, were stuck in this place and the world carried on without them. And I think it sets up what Origins is supposed to be. Its Maxis' hell. Maxis died at the hands of Richtofen in the 40s, went somewhere, and then ended up in the machines on Moon and later Earth. Origins seems like his hell. His research with 935 during a war unleashed an ancient/alien apocalypse and it ends with Richtofen killing him over and over. Thats his cycle, much like Weasels was to get killed by the others over and over. Then Maxis got out but didn't reach Argatha, as Sam says. He left his after death hell and ended up in the machines back in the real world. Somehow the O4 end up getting stuck there sometime after Moon. 

That's what those two maps represent to me. Couldn't tell you if they are Hell, the Aether, Argatha, or Pee Wee's Playhouse, but they seem to represent a separate after life place that's parallel with the real world. I know its just a theory and that's not what your really looking for, but that's the best theory I've heard that keeps all the maps relevant. Time travel that's changing events and it all being in two kids' heads are both theories that make past maps and events not matter, which I'm not a fan of. Also, in the OP you mention the Earth being destroyed in the 60s. Like most things in the story, its hard to say exactly when the Moon rockets were launched. Could be 60s, or might be 2000 something. 

Thats an interesting way to see Origins, though I see it as a metaphor for the story while also being the beginning of it. Sort of like you need to understand the rest to understand it as the story started with a lot of aspects that come into play later.

• Administrators

The whole storyline is hugely based on theories so its impossible to say whats "canon" and what isn't since Treyarch originally made up the story as they went. 

It is impressive and fascinating that the opposite tends to be true: from the dialogue and commentary in World at War to the fact that the teddies, as well, have been around since before Black Ops, the idea that a complex story was well underway by the end of World at War is undeniable.

So what is canon? If we ask Merriam-Webster, three definitions stand out:

[1a] A regulation or dogma decreed by a church council

[3b] The authentic works of a writer

[4a] An accepted principal or rule

So canon is dictated by, and only by, without exception, Treyarch itself. They are the "Church Council," as it were, for the existence, chemistry, laws, past, present and future of zombies, as well as each character, location, weapon, or any other feature of Call of Duty Zombies, past, present and future. Canon is THE AUTHENTIC WORKS OF A WRITER; the authoritative writer, being none other than Treyarch.

And that which Treyarch presents as their authentic works; their regulations and decrees in regards to Call of Duty Nazi Zombie lore are inherent principals and rules which we accept, whether we like them or not. This is canon. Anything else is theory and speculation.

Each map and all content within, from Nacht Der Untoten to Origins, is canon.

Reposted to this forum for proper categorization of content.

Edited by NaBrZHunter

Summed it up pretty well. I mean of course theories are welcome about things like this but your right that in the end everything is in some way canon.

The whole storyline is hugely based on theories so its impossible to say whats "canon" and what isn't since Treyarch originally made up the story as they went. 

It is impressive and fascinating that the opposite tends to be true: from the dialogue and commentary in World at War to the fact that the teddies, as well, have been around since before Black Ops, the idea that a complex story was well underway by the end of World at War is undeniable.

Reposted to this forum for proper categorization of content.

I agree. For starting out as a mini game with no named characters, by the time they got to Der Riese they seemed like they had the meat of the story line set up. Bo1 did a great job of building on it while adding to WaW's story through the radios. That's why I'm still hoping that they knew what they were doing in BO2 and where they wanted to take the story. That somehow, like BO1 did with WaW's story, I'm hoping the next game can do the same for BO2's by giving us more details about Broken Arrow and the Flesh and other things. That the final cutscene will somehow make sense without wiping out the history they've already made in the mode. 

• Administrators

Summed it up pretty well. I mean of course theories are welcome about things like this but your right that in the end everything is in some way canon.

@Nightmare Voyager

"everything is canon..." meaning everything Treyarch has unequivocally defined-ie, Element 115 is capable of reanimating dead cells. Sorry if that's what you meant. No redundancy intended. :-)

Edited by NaBrZHunter