Significance of Manglers in Firebase Z

Rapt

Does anyone know the lore reason for the Manglers appearing in Firebase Z?

It seems interesting that they were originally from the Argonia fracture, home of the Raygun MK3 and the alternate Maxis.
In Firebase we aquire a part for the RayK (based on the MK3) from a Mangler arm.

I was always interested in the alternate Maxis and the hollow earth base etc.
Possibly the Mangler is a hint that some elements of that plotline may return?
I'd love to hear some thoughts on this if anyone has ideas.  

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

According to Peck, the location of Firebase Z is a very dimensionally fragile area, making it the perfect place for testing the area. Gorod Krovi also appears to be one of the most curious maps regarding interdimensional travel (excluding Revelations), between S.O.P.H.I.A. and the Groph Modules falling through rifts leading to other dimensions. It's likely these two became slightly entangled between various dimensional activities performed in each, but not enough to let the ahem larger things through from the remnants of Gorod Krovi. Instead, we face Ordas, which likely were able to overwhelm even dragons based on what we're being told in lore so far, building up Ordas as these titans akin to but not equivalent to gods.

As stated on the intel for the R.A.I.K-84, the gun was inspired by old schematics found for the Generator Khaosa Zavoyski-45 (GKZ-45). This gun was designed by Soviet Scientists in 1945, however was ruled impossible, and thus remained exclusively hypothetical.

Dr. Khulklay recovered these schematics from the KGB's archives and began viewing them with great interest in 1984, however, as the introduction of Aetherium suddenly made the ideas behind the theoretical weapon now incredibly doable. 

The gun existed in the Agonia Fracture in the Aether Storyline as the rapid arms race caused by the unending Battle of Stalingrad, combined with the ease of access to Element 115, meant that such innovations as this became commonplace.

Now, onto the Mangler. The Mangler. This augmented soldier was the final product of a research initiative known as "Project Rasputin" - the reference to the Mad Monk should make it obvious what this project was trying to achieve. Much like the GKZ, I would assume that Project Rasputin was a long, ongoing research effort that was only allowed to come to fruition in the Agonia Fracture thanks to the unique conditions I've already discussed.

As a result, I think it's fair to say that the Mangler reappears not because of some anomaly, but because Omega recovered thereto impossible-to-complete schematics born out of Project Rasputin, that now with the induction of Aetherium, were suddenly possible.

I think that if the Manglers were a Omega creation like the RayK it would have been mentioned in the Intel. 

Seems more likely to me that they leaked out of the Dark Aether like the Mimics and Hellhounds. 

Which opens the door for other enemy types and characters to return from the old Aether story which is really exciting!

On 2/16/2021 at 12:49 AM, Rapt said:

I think that if the Manglers were a Omega creation like the RayK it would have been mentioned in the Intel. 

Seems more likely to me that they leaked out of the Dark Aether like the Mimics and Hellhounds. 

Which opens the door for other enemy types and characters to return from the old Aether story which is really exciting!

If they were from the Dark Aether, they ought to be far more mutated than we see.

If a soldier turns into a Mimic within 30 days of exposure, the Mangler should look pretty far removed from how it does.

From what we've seen so far the mutations do not effect the undead in the same way as the living.

Otherwise we would see zombies at various stages of mutation.

Manglers are a form of undead so are not effected in the same way as humans trapped in the Dark Aether. 

Archived