Nova-6, 115 and control over the mind

anonymous

• Moderators

First of all: A hella lot of credits to @Tac whose comment I have used for a lot of the intel that follows. In fact, a lot of the Nova-6 part of this thread comes close to plagiarism of his ideas, and therefore I would like to dedicate this thread to Tacolai, my man.

It is essential to know that the development and experimentation of the Nova gas and Element 115 took place simultary. What we know about Nova-6 is that work on the initial version of the gas began in January of 1943, when Adolf Hitler wanted "more unconventional solutions" to win the war. Throughout World War II, Dr. Friedrich Steiner did meticulous and frustrating work in chemical weapons, earning several degrees and eventually joining into the Wunderwaffen program via the Waffen-SS. 

The GKNOVA6 file named 'GK-0984242-p' and dated September 5, 1944, says that they were beginning on version 4 of the ‘Nova project', as the Germans call it, and the biggest issue they had was "still" stability of the chemical compound. The weapon never got used in-battle by the Nazi’s. However, we know that Group 935 and Steiner’s Nova Group cooperated at some point, as implied by the presence of the Nova-6 canisters in the Kino facility. 

"Those seats, that screen, they wanted to implant the mind with instructions!" - Richtofen, Kino der Toten

The Kino Facility was all about mindcontrol over an undead army. Was it coincidence that they had stored some of the experimental Nova gas here? Patience and I will explain it all, first we’ll move on to the next historic era...

After the war, the Major Dragovich of the Red Army cut a deal with Steiner to have Steiner hand over his research of the gas. On October 29, 1945, Dragovich captured Steiner, stranded within the Arctic Circle, and asked him about his involvement in what he calls the Giftiger Sturm project, the “Toxic Storm project”. Dragovich, Steiner, and Reznov all referred to this biochemical weapon as Nova-6, and the insignia that appeared on the containers it was held in was 'N6' with a swastika above it.

While Harvey Yena, a former Group 935 member, created the Ascension Group, which focussed itself on continuing Group 935’s research of the mysterious Element 115, Gorki and Korolov created the GK Medical Company, an organisation that heavily cooperated with the Ascension Group. Sergej Korolev was one of the founding fathers of Russia’s rocket science and space program while Gorki focussed himself on research to chemical compounds, most notably Nova-6 with Steiner as lead of it. Additional proof for the cooperation between GK and the Ascension Group is that we can find documents with the GK symbol on it in the Ascension Cosmodrome. We also have intel [1] that says that Drakovich organized the Ascension Group (while Yena was the creator and appointed as head). Drakovich is also known in the Black Ops Campaign to be heavily involved in the Nova-6 development, attack on the US and, interestingly, mindcontrol of sleeper agents (of which I believe one is located in Hanford). [2]

In 1964, a chemical engineer named Doctor Daniel Clarke was hired to stabilize certain "volitale compounds" in Nova-6. It is believed that he succeeded, and it's confirmed that he then promptly escaped. He is credited with being the creator of the modern and highly dangerous Nova-6.

A GKNOVA6 report details the chemical makeup of an unnamed nerve toxin, however the top of the page mentions "NOVA project.". It's interesting to note that the words are almost identical to the Wikipedia page for Sarin.

GKNOVA6 File said:

"(1) ████████ high volatility relative to similar nerve agents. ████████ one minute after direct ingestion of a lethal dose. ████████ atropine and pralidoxime, quickly administered are known to be ████████.

(2) ████████ from ████████ Schrader, Ambros, Rüdiger and Van der Linde, ████████ connection to ████████."

Now about Sarin:

"Sarin has a high volatility relative to similar nerve agents. (...) Death may follow in one minute after direct ingestion of a lethal dose if antidotes, typically atropine and pralidoxime, are not quickly administered. (...) The compound, which followed the discovery of the nerve agent tabun, was named in honor of its discoverers: Schrader, Ambros, Rüdiger and Van der Linde."

A screen in the cutscene to one of the campaign missions in Black Ops I shows that mixing Chemical 'A' with Chemical 'B' produces Nova-6. Now there is also a letter found in Kino der Toten, presumably from the Illuminati to Richtofen (unknown which one), which reads the following:

“We have listed both Tabun and Sarin. Be wary of the Doctor. His involvement should be minimized if you want to make it out alive. We are not sure on how he achieved this time and place. Do what you must…”

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor kino der toten paper

The note also includes the chemical formula of the nerve agents Tabun and Sarin, both being one of the most toxic gases existing, created by German chemists in the 30s. Couple this note with the GKNova6 file I quotes prior and I'd say that the chemicals 'A' and 'B' used in the manufacturing of Nova gas are Tabun and Sarin. Somewhere else in the Black Ops I Campaign one can find a poster of the periodic system encircling three elements involved with Nova-6: Sulfur, Rhenium, and Neodymium. (Fun fact: The ‘Brimstone’ from Kino’s wallwriting “Brimstone to Damnation” is another word for Sulfur).

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor periodic system nova-6

Note that Tabun and Sarin are molecules while Sulfur, Rhenium and Neodymium are elements. The elements might even be the connecting compounds generating covalent bindings between Tabun and Sarin. Perhaps that is the chemical formula of the original Nova-6 gas!

Somewhere else in the NOVA project report of GKNOVA6 says that the effects of the gas "resemble those of sarin, tabun, and soman, but that a chemical analysis indicates attempts had been made to introduce a latent component into the gas." According to a GKNOVA6 document signed by President John F. Kennedy on July 21, 1961 [3], the United States was conducting research on variants of "Tabun, Sarin, Soman, and an unknown gas of possibly far greater potential for devastation." Of all nerve agents, Tabun, Sarin, Soman and thus, the ‘unknown gas’ (a.k.a. Nova-6), toxicologically work actually the same. They belong the same family of nerve gases, if you will, namely those that inhibit the enzyme AChE (acetylcholinesterase). This is an enzyme that breaks down neurotransmitters, chemicals that are released between neuron cells and pass over a stimulus between your brain and muscles (movement), but also within your brain (thoughts). If a nerve gas inhibits enzyme AChE, this will lead to the increase of both the level and duration of action of neurotransmitters. A constant action potential to all of your muscles and brain cells. This, of course, causes instant death.

During the Call of Duty Zombies story, we constantly see scientists trying to master and control the mind of an undead army: Group 935, Division 9, the Ascension Group and Broken Arrow. I am willing to believe the latter came the closest to it, as we can hear in a radio found in Classified.

Schuster: Yes, yes, we've achieved the same benchmarks as Maxis but as with his trials they refuse to obey orders.

Layman: That's right! We can't control them, we can't make them docile, but I believe I've cracked it!

Schuster: I'm listening.

Layman: Okay, last month our man inside the Ascension Group sent us copies of Doctor Richtofen's diary. I've been poring over it, following his research and...

(A zombie can be heard in the background, seemingly in an aggressive state)

Schuster: That doesn't seem very docile to me.

Layman: Just watch. Stand back Doctor Schuster. I promise you it's quite safe.

(To the zombie, a finger snap can be heard)

Layman: Walk!

Schuster: Incredible! It's completely subservient. How did you achieve this?

Layman: I have vaporized Element 115, brought it to a gaseous state. The specimen inhaled it.

Schuster: Inhaled it?

Layman: (sigh)... Un-unfortunately, it had to be done while the specimen was still alive.

Schuster: While they were still alive?! What heavens man did you...

As a lot of Nova-6 canisters can be spotted in the Sourthern Laboratory under the Pentagon, the community already concluded that this ‘gaseous state’ of the 115th Element might be a combination with Nova-6. This would also tie extremely well with Nova-6 canisters being at the Kino ‘mindcontrol’ Facility, and the fact that GK Medical Company (Nova-6) had such close ties to the Ascension Group (115). But is this sciencific explainable?

Element 115 is, as we know, a direct bridge of our mind to the Aether and it’s occupants. Usually and in normal conditions, the element appears to be in a solid, cystalline structure, though we have experienced other state of matters: Take Origins’ conversion generators, that seem to convert the energy present around the Dig Site (possibly because of the underground pyramid and ‘Potential Gateway’ there) into Element 115 is aqueous form. Or the water in Zetsubou no Shima infected with tiny particles or ions of 115, which we see can be converted into energy by the plants which is used as temporary power in the labs. Injection (see Richtofen’s testsubjects and APD interrogation) or consumption (see Stuhlinger and the Flesh) can establish a link with the aether occupant, and while it can change certain characterisms and lead to personality disorder, it won’t cause full mindcontrol. Apartenly, (an essential quantity of ) 115 is not present at the right site for that, which is logic, because most toxicants won’t pass the Blood-Brain-Barrier which defends your brain and nerves from external chemicals.

However, the binding with Nova-6 generates a molecule that is actually able to establish mind control, but only for a dead person when it is inhaled while he was living, according to Doctor Layman.

“Dr. Maxis says the key to unlocking the human mind will be more easily discovered on someone who isn't dead yet.” - Richtofen, Call of the Dead (Maxis wasn’t that silly, eh, @RadZakpak)

As you remember, Nova-6 is possibly an AChE inbitor, causing overstimulation of your nerve system. Adding 115 to it, the Aethereal occupant might be able to manipulate and influence it, almost like a binary system: ‘On’ and ‘off’. If that would be correct, @Mattzs wasn’t that far off with his idea of mesmerism and galvanism having an essential role in the reanimating machinery of the undead. The Aethereal occupant is the organ grinder, the zombies the monkey, or marionettes. This explains why controlled zombies never stop to eat their prey: it's the controller who actually selects and pursues the targets via the zombies. The controller is "rational," not animalistic and uncontrolled. I also would like to note something @NaBrZHunter noted a while back:

“It explains why killing zombies gives the controller more power. Think of the controller as a single programmer with a command line interface, but limited processing power. The controller programs the shattered neural systems to follow her will, essentially to "run her program" (kill Richtofen and his minions), and she can do so in bulk. As zombies die, that frees up processing power for her to reallocate to new zombie targets. Once the program is installed and running within the hijacked neural system, however, each zombie becomes a signal repeater which can multicast the program to more targets using electromagnetic radiation emanating from the overloaded neurons. This explains why outbreaks are local, and zombies spawn ahead of you and around you as you run. The zombies pursuing you are radio transmitters.” - NabrzHunter

Neurons work electronic, and every electronic field generates a magnetic field: Electromagnetism. Now we come back to our discussion in the Leyline topic, where we’ve reached talk about chakra, auras and our vital force being part of manipulative ethereal energy.

"Vital energy flows through all things, living or dead. My power to manipulate these forces is fragile, and limited” - Richtofen in Samantha’s body

From now on I rather like to leave it over to discussion, though si one thing I would like to share. Remember the identical wounds every zombie in Tranzit has, in the back of the neck. As this map takes place at a Broken Arrow station, it makes sense. Though Layman might never have survived the Pentagon outbreak and the actual formation of Broken Arrow, his research concerning 115’s effect on the brain is known among the American government. These wounds indicate scientists have surgically opened the spine or possibly brainstem. Did they want to implant something in there which is connected with the nearby mindcontrol tower? 

Additional sources (credits to @RadZakpak and Tac):

1. ASCENSION

BYE 0108-56

ASCENSION GROUP EXECUTIVE SUMMARY

1. The Ascension Group is a coalition of former scientists from the German Wunderwaffe program and Group 935. These scientists have been co-opted and organized by Soviet General Dragovich for the purposes of pushing forward Soviet weapons development.

2. The Lead is one Fredric Steiner and his focus was on the NOVA 6 program. He and the remnants of the Wunderwaffe scientists disappeared on 29 Oct 1945 near the Arctic Circle. Around the same time, the Soviet Operation designated "Olympus" consisted of the 3rd Shock Army Special Operations unit led by General Dragovich.

3. British Intelligence records state that MI-6 had a commando unit in the general vicinity but refuse to disclose the details of their presence there

ASCENSION

TOP SECRET

HANDLE VIA BYEMAN TALENT KEYHOLE CONTROL SYSTEM

2. Screenshot2012-12-16at83802AM_zpsed18242f.png

Locations of all Nova-6 sleeper cells, as seen in the Yamantau laboratory. Note the dot in what I believe is Hanford, Washington state.

3. FROM: The White House

TO: [REDACTED]

July 21, 1961

SUBJECT: Transmission from a suspected numbers station near the [REDACTED] embassy containing alarming and cryptic references.

Research appears to be underway involving variance of Tabun, Sarin, Soman and an unknown gas of possibly far greater potential for devastation. Every member of the S.O.G. team in the field should be briefed. Yesterday, a new transmission involving Plutonium and Uranium was also intercepted but was lost before the transmission was completed. All foreign agents listening to numbers stations should be vigilant to those keywords. Recent chatter has reached a fever pitch.

CIA operatives have been assigned to the program, and the additional support is requested. Have all reports forwarded to the White House and present an interim review of the situation no later than July 31, 1961.

/s/ John F. Kennedy

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

A top-notch thread that explains the role of Nova 6 in the Aether story. I've had trouble in the past reconciling how the Americans would be able to have Nova 6 in the Pentagon and at Camp Edward despite seemingly the only supply of it being on the boat that was blown up. The explanation may simply be that the Nova 6 used in these mind control experiments at Kino and later in the Pentagon are based on an early version of the gas, which doesn't kill you instantly, instead flowing into the brain and causing damage slowly. This explains why Nova 6 from Nova Crawlers and the Nova 6 being sprayed around Camp Edward doesn't actually do any damage to the player, only clouding your vision and slowing movement. If the gas were, however, combined with 115, it would have the same mind-controlling effect you describe.

2 hours ago, anonymous said:

From now on I rather like to leave it over to discussion, though si one thing I would like to share. Remember the identical wounds every zombie in Tranzit has, in the back of the neck. As this map takes place at a Broken Arrow station, it makes sense. Though Layman might never have survived the Pentagon outbreak and the actual formation of Broken Arrow, his research concerning 115’s effect on the brain is known among the American government. These wounds indicate scientists have surgically opened the spine or possibly brainstem. Did they want to implant something in there which is connected with the nearby mindcontrol tower? 

Perhaps another HAARP connection? I could see this being true, as even though Richtofen commissioned it, they must have used it in some capacity in the ensuing 80 years.

• Moderators
30 minutes ago, RadZakpak said:

I've had trouble in the past reconciling how the Americans would be able to have Nova 6 in the Pentagon and at Camp Edward despite seemingly the only supply of it being on the boat that was blown up. The explanation may simply be that the Nova 6 used in these mind control experiments at Kino and later in the Pentagon are based on an early version of the gas, which doesn't kill you instantly, instead flowing into the brain and causing damage slowly. This explains why Nova 6 from Nova Crawlers and the Nova 6 being sprayed around Camp Edward doesn't actually do any damage to the player, only clouding your vision and slowing movement. If the gas were, however, combined with 115, it would have the same mind-controlling effect you describe.

I agree about the Kino Facility, as the Nova-6 Crawlers in Five are exactly the same as those in Kino, as well as your prior statement about Kino probably being located in West-Berlin. As for the less harmful effect, I guess this can be explained because the German variant (the version the US found in Kino) was less toxic (think about the gas in zombies and MP) than the later by Clarke stabilized form, used by the Soviets in e.g. the mission at Rebirth Island. Kennedy's GKNova6 report might imply that the US was developing a more toxic variant, though. They were,bhowever, the first to succesfully mix 115 with (the classic) Nova-6 leading to Layman's discovery. At least, that's what I think. So I assume there are three variants:

*German Nova-6 which is also used by the Americans: encounteted in both zombies and multiplayer mode.

*Soviet variant, "improved" by Daniel Clarke and a team of Soviet scientists in Kowloon, Rebirth Island and most importantly, Mouth Yamantau. Instantly lethal upon inhalation.

*American variant, created by Layman. Addition of a 115-group to the original Nova-6 molecule, enabling the inhalation of Element 115. Usable for (undead) mindcontrol. 

Off topic, the presence of the Thundergun in Clarke's lab in Hong Kong implies that the chemitrist had connections with the Ascension Group: Yena, Gersch, Yuri or perhaps someone else. 

EDIT: Do you think 'Beware of the 6' is about this dangerous 6th version of Nova gas?

• Moderators

Probably old new but I never noted this in the Black Ops intel files:

DATE: October 20, 1967

MEMORANDUM TO: Richard Helms (DD/CIA)

FROM: Ryan Jackson, Chief Analyst (APLAA), in conjunction with OSA/DI

SUBJECT: IDENTIFICATION OF POSSIBLE SOVIET BIOWEAPONS TESTING FACILITY

I am transferring to the National Security Council a full operational analysis of mosaic images received from the DS & T Corona Reconnaissance satellite system dated 13 Oct 1965. Surveillance photos (TAB A) show what can only be described as a military settlement on the Vozrozhdeniya Island (translates: "Rebirth Island") in the Aral Sea between the regions of Kazakhstan and Uzbekistan.

Geographical assessment (TAB B) based off location, recent HUMINT, historical records confirm a theoretically ideal site for the open-air testing of biological weapons. Its insular locations, sparse vegetation, hot, dry climate, and sandy soil that reaches temperatures upwards of 140 degrees Fahrenheit protect the area from transmission of weaponized pathogens outside the confines of the facility. In addition, surrounding deserts and its islands locale offer general security with its overall isolation.

Documents recovered during the Occupation indicated Japanese biological weapons research in Manchuria on the part of the Imperial Army's covert R&D group Unit 731 (TAB C). With the Soviets in control of that region following V-J Day, this research has since been acquired and implemented on the part of the Soviet Union (assumptions based off Khabarovsk War Crimes Trial testimony from Unit Chief, Major general Kawashima Kiyoshi (et al) between 25-31 Dec 1949 (TAB D).

Recommend opening operational study of direct confirmation of proposed theories and, if need be, the subsequent sabotage of Rebirth Island facility via covert action.

Ryan Jackson

Special Assistant (ADDO/SAD)

So Rebirth Island, the very home of the Soviet variant of Nova-6, is also home to continuing research of the Japanese Unit 731? Could be either a hint to Division 9 and the possibility that there is experimented with 115 at Rebirth Island, or to possible Japanese influence in the creation of Nova-6 during WW2. Or perhaps were the Soviets also experimenting with combining Nova-6 and Element 115

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators

So Rad's new Storybook chapters made me think about this. We discussed earlier how the Americans might have acquired Nova-6. The Soviets got it via Steiner:

October 29th, 1945 - PROJECT NOVA

Friedrich Steiner and other members of the German Wunderwaffe Program flee to the Arctic Circle. Friedrich Steiner defects to the Soviets, showing them the location of a crashed ship containing samples of Nova 6.

We know the Soviets made the gas even deadlier. The effects of the gas used by American Black Ops forces in MP and the gas emitted by American-bred Nova-6 crawlers is more similar to the earlier German variant. From this I conclude that they obtained the gas from the Germans, rather than the Soviets.

Now Kino might have had a vital role in this, but what if Steiner, or any other former Nazi scientist, made a deal with the US as well at the end of world war II? Just think about it: Why would a fanatic Nazi like Steiner flee to the Arctic circle, of all places? He could also used ODESSA's rat lines to reach Latin America. Maybe it was a masterminded plan to give the Soviet Union Nova-6 gas. The Unites States as well. They knew there was gonna be a Cold War between capitalistic and communistic nations, and providing the two superpowers with a deadly weapon to destroy one another would enable the Nazi's to strike back. In a world where both the US and SU would be destoyed by either chemical or nuclear warfare (which came indirectly from the Nazi's themselves), a Third Reich hidden in South America or Antarctica could strike back

• Moderators
5 hours ago, anonymous said:

So Rad's new Storybook chapters made me think about this. We discussed earlier how the Americans might have acquired Nova-6. The Soviets got it via Steiner:

We know the Soviets made the gas even deadlier. The effects of the gas used by American Black Ops forces in MP and the gas emitted by American-bred Nova-6 crawlers is more similar to the earlier German variant. From this I conclude that they obtained the gas from the Germans, rather than the Soviets.

Now Kino might have had a vital role in this, but what if Steiner, or any other former Nazi scientist, made a deal with the US as well at the end of world war II? Just think about it: Why would a fanatic Nazi like Steiner flee to the Arctic circle, of all places? He could also used ODESSA's rat lines to reach Latin America. Maybe it was a masterminded plan to give the Soviet Union Nova-6 gas. The Unites States as well. They knew there was gonna be a Cold War between capitalistic and communistic nations, and providing the two superpowers with a deadly weapon to destroy one another would enable the Nazi's to strike back. In a world where both the US and SU would be destoyed by either chemical or nuclear warfare (which came indirectly from the Nazi's themselves), a Third Reich hidden in South America or Antarctica could strike back

This would actually make a lot of sense, given what a coward Steiner is. He makes it clear he doesn't care who he works for or what his research is used for. Once he realizes Dragovich has no more use for him on Rebirth Island, he immediately makes a deal with the Americans. It wouldn't surprise me if he started a deal with both, cutting off the American deal after realizing the Russians had a better offer/Dragovich would kill him if he found out.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, RadZakpak said:

This would actually make a lot of sense, given what a coward Steiner is. He makes it clear he doesn't care who he works for or what his research is used for. Once he realizes Dragovich has no more use for him on Rebirth Island, he immediately makes a deal with the Americans. It wouldn't surprise me if he started a deal with both, cutting off the American deal after realizing the Russians had a better offer/Dragovich would kill him if he found out.

It's actually quite odd, indeed, that Steiner suddenly made contact with the Americans. Maybe it is explained in the campaign but for me this seems suspicious, and only puts him in danger when he betrayed Drakovich. Also note that this was in 1968. The Americans have Nova-6 in at least 1963 (as seen in Five). Not only that, they have also performed experiments with it on the undead.

• Moderators
1 minute ago, anonymous said:

It's actually quite odd, indeed, that Steiner suddenly made contact with the Americans. Maybe it is explained in the campaign but for me this seems suspicious, and only puts him in danger when he betrayed Drakovich. Also note that this was in 1968. The Americans have Nova-6 in at least 1963 (as seen in Five). Not only that, they have also performed experiments with it on the undead.

What I mean is, I think he made a deal with both sides in 1945, just like Richtofen. So basically it would be a race to reach him in the Arctic Circle.

I do think it is more likely that in the Aether story the reason the Americans have an early version of Nova 6 is because of what they acquired from Group 935, potentially through the Nova Crawlers they had created. But it wasn't the deadlier version that kills within seconds that comes around later with Steiner continuing to work on it.

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, RadZakpak said:

What I mean is, I think he made a deal with both sides in 1945, just like Richtofen. So basically it would be a race to reach him in the Arctic Circle.

Hmm, might also be why the British knew about the location. Odd that he went all the way to the Arctic circle, though. Maybe he tried to make a deal with both earlier, the Soviets gave him more or perhaps were the only ones who wanted to cooperate with him, and thus he leaves for the Arctic Circle?

10 minutes ago, RadZakpak said:

I do think it is more likely that in the Aether story the reason the Americans have an early version of Nova 6 is because of what they acquired from Group 935, potentially through the Nova Crawlers they had created. But it wasn't the deadlier version that kills within seconds that comes around later with Steiner continuing to work on it.

Yes, this additionally proves that the Americans obtained Nova-6 before the Soviets, Steiner and Clarke continued working on it. So it cannot be via a spy at Rebirth Island sending them a sample of the gas, otherwise this sample would be just as lethal as the new Soviet variant. They must've acquired it via the Nazi's, or very early on in the Cold War.

• 8 months later...
  • Moderators

Now with Die Maschine, weneed to talk about Nova-6 again. Why was Steiner in the map's teaser? Why do the zombies have blisters, like they are exposed to gas? What is the gas the Plaguehouds emit, and why do they have features very similar to the Nova Crawlers and Keepers.

Initially I thought Steiner may have been part of Project Endstation, but then I found this in the Campaign:

9544955f-4878-4133-a0e9-f5aef8aeed9f.png

Nova gas was developed in Zlotorvja, not Morasko.

Archived