Are the Gatekeepers Nova Crawlers?

I made that other post a while ago and forgot to post it, but this one I have made today. Too many people have been claiming that Gatekeepers and Nova Crawlers are the same thing. I don't even think they share enough features to have a connection. Let's use some comparison images of all the eyeless monsters we have seen in Zombies:

Nova Crawler Head:

NovaCrawlerHead_zps5422b2fe.png

Pale skin, veined, jagged teeth, ears, no eyes or nose, face mouth, regular tongue, human physiology.

Nova Crawler Body:

hqdefault.jpg

Hunched, crawling, long claws.

Gatekeeper Head:

84cadac4e666f73d1bd30098505007be.png

Grey skin, marked with Keeper language tattoos, no ears, nose, space for eyes but not present, sucker tongue, unknown physiology.

Gatekeeper Body:

latest?cb=20151224002841

Two fingers and a thumb. Anyone wanna look up one of their cloaks and tell me if they have legs or not?

Margwa:

latest?cb=20151224003727

Squid monster, three heads, no eyes or nose, greenish, jagged teeth.

Shadowman:

IwmLpus.jpg

Squid man no eyes but sometimes eyes.

See, all of these things have no eyes. But out of them, Nova Crawlers resemble Margwa more than Gatekeepers. Just because Gatekeepers have no eyes and a mouth with sharp teeth, does not mean they are in the slightest Nova Crawlers. They look nothing like them and you would see that upon comparing pictures. It is to the point where this community assumes things are connected but don't look into it. Like Pareidolias that they don't check to be true or not.

Edited by Nightmare Voyager
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

Perhaps add something about their different backgrounds? Crawlers are made by Nazi scientists who wanted to harm the zombies as less as possible to use them as weapons against the Allies. This lead to kill 115-infected people with Nova gas. Their goal: Unharmed, complete zombies following the orders of the Germans. But the gas mutated the zombies body, burned their eyes and grew their teeth. Project Nova6 was a big fail.

The Gatekeepers have a unknown, but Im sure different background. They are a Ancient race instead of what once were zombies.

like you said, the only connection is their face

1 minute ago, anonymous said:

Perhaps add something about their different backgrounds? Crawlers are made by Nazi scientists who wanted to harm the zombies as less as possible to use them as weapons against the Allies. This lead to kill 115-infected people with Nova gas. Their goal: Unharmed, complete zombies following the orders of the Germans. But the gas mutated the zombies body, burned their eyes and grew their teeth. Project Nova6 was a big fail.

The Gatekeepers have a unknown, but Im sure different background. They are a Ancient race instead of what once were zombies.

like you said, the only connection is their face

To be honest, I didn't think I needed too, simply because we don't actually know that much about either but from what we do know, they are completely different. If anyone thinks they have a similar origin (as in both created by scientists for the purpose of killing and controlling), I don't think they are worth speaking too.

Anyone else think it's weird that even after showing his squid form that the shadowman keeps his clothes on? I mean no other servant of the apothicon (evil side) wears clothes...  

On-topic, Groph when confronted with the keeper you send to the moon states that there is a keeper infestation, so 935 KNOWS keepers exist. I theorize that they found keepers, and experimented on them, creating the nova crawlers/jumpers/phasers. 

5 minutes ago, Stop Mocking Me0 said:

Anyone else think it's weird that even after showing his squid form that the shadowman keeps his clothes on? I mean no other servant of the apothicon (evil side) wears clothes...  

On-topic, Groph when confronted with the keeper you send to the moon states that there is a keeper infestation, so 935 KNOWS keepers exist. I theorize that they found keepers, and experimented on them, creating the nova crawlers/jumpers/phasers. 

Nova Crawlers are made from humans. If you look at my post, they share no similarities with Gatekeepers. I could say that I think the Margwa are descendants of the Big Guy. No proof for it because it isn't a thing.

But yeah, the Shadowman is a weird guy. I hope if we get a Primis map, we get to see him before he was in Shadows of Evil in like some ancient garb.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the resemblance of the Keepers to the crawlers is just incidental. It's possible that Group 935 maybe spliced in Keeper dna into their experiments. But until we're told so, this is just speculative. In my opinion it's just a convenient resemblance that people are retroactively using to explain something in the Zombies mythos that never had much explanation. Like is said, while its possible, it's not probable. Just connecting dots that aren't there. 

Now, for the Shadowman. He's very clearly based on the H.P. Lovecraft character, Nyarlathotep. He is one of the Outer Gods in the Cthulu mythos. He is described as such:

"Nyarlathotep differs from the other beings in a number of ways. Most of them are exiled to stars, like Yog-Sothoth and Hastur, or sleeping and dreaming like Cthulu; Nyarlathotep, however, is active and frequently walks the Earth in the guise of a human being, usually a tall, slim, joyous man. He has "a thousand" other forms, most of these reputed to be maddeningly horrific. Most of the Outer Gods have their own cults serving them; Nyarlathotep seems to serve these cults and take care of the deities' affairs in their absence. Most of the gods use strange alien languages, but Nyarlathotep uses human languages and can be mistaken for a human being. The other Outer Gods and Great Old Ones are often described as mindless or unfathomable rather than truly malevolent, but Nyarlathotep delights in cruelty, is deceptive and manipulative, and even cultivates followers and uses propaganda to achieve his goals.

Nyarlathotep enacts the will of the Outer Gods, and is their messenger, heart and soul; he is also a servant of Azathoth, his father, whose wishes he immediately fulfills. Unlike the other Outer Gods, causing madness is more important and enjoyable than death and destruction to Nyarlathotep. It is suggested by some that he will destroy the human race and possibly the earth as well. Brian Lumley described him as the emanation of various Great Old Ones and not an actual being, thus explaining his variety of forms and functions." - Wikipedia 

I'd say that's a pretty accurate description of the character. And would easily explain why he continues wearing his outfit even after revealing himself. Plus it would serve as an equal parts intimidating and petrifying experience for anyone who'd see it. As for his appearance in his actual form. I feel the similarities to the Keepers is either, again, coincidence or, as Treyarch tend to do things on purpose, a red herring meant to make us look in the wrong places like questioning the actual intentions of the Keepers. Which many did in abundance before the release of DE.  Just a thought. 

Edited by tEfugleskremmel
Spelling, grammar fixes.
  • Administrators

I would like for Keepers and crawlers to be related, but you make an excellent, quotable point.

It is to the point where this community assumes things are connected but don't look into it. Like Pareidolias that they don't check to be true or not.

This is chronic in the community, similar to what @tEfugleskremmel called "The Skywalker Effect."

"...what I like to call the "Skywalker Effect". Where a new significant character MUST be a Skywalker. Despite the fact that in all of the known universe, with an infinite possibility of races and people, for every significant character to be related is absurd. This also diminishes the quality of the narrative, as it is incredibly lazy."

Great pics, good arguments, as is your style, NV.