To be a FroLord

Greetings CoDz. Since not much else is going on around here, I'm going to add some random nonsense to the New Content tab.

Playing zombies is almost a self defeating game, there is a thrill in the exploration of the new, there is a thrill in mastery of the old, and there is a thrill in the progress and the concept of breaking your high score.

However exploration of new is quickly gone, mastery of the old arrives not too far after. Both are inevitable if you play even occasionally on a regular basis. All that remains is breaking your high score.

However that too is self defeating. The more you break your high score, the harder and more time consuming it will be to do it again, until eventually, for all practical purposes that too is gone from reach.

Then what do we have? Self imposed limitations? Co-op with friends is perhaps the only way to continue to fully enjoy worthwhile zombie matches, but what if you don't have friends to play with?

Well, I've tried to figure that out whilst playing games with randoms. The idea of starting a match has a wonderful ring in my head, but then as the match starts the idea becomes less fun and almost more of a chore. No game should ever be a chore.

I began to find ways of playing, rules to abide by that make randoms more fun. Sometimes it is actually really enjoyable, but at the worst it is bareable. The chore-like nature of the game starts to dissolve away, and although I cannot say every game becomes wildly enjoyable, it certainly has helped me enjoy my games more.

So here are the rules I abide by:

You will not beat your record. The game will go until about round 25. Don't structure your whole game around setting up for round 40+ game play. This is a rule I wish all randoms held, but a surprising few actually do. The majority, at least the ones I find, if they stick around past round 15, seem to believe we'll definitely be going to round 40. A fairly decent amount of players I find with mics, seem to be asserting from the very beginning of the match that they plan to be in it for the long haul. If it works for them, then I applaud their efforts, but I just do not believe playing zombies with the sole goal of record breaking is sustainable. I always found that it made the game worse, you started judging your teammates' skills right away and slowly realize your record will be hard to reach, and then if someone leaves, the match, the whole time spent becomes worthless and a waste of time, and that just isn't a fun way to think.

Always go for the revive, over anything else. Don't have Jug? Still TRY. I do say try, I don't mean charge straight into the oncoming horde of the downed player like an idiot. But think, prioritize getting that revive over absolutely anything else that you could be doing that moment. I even try to survive as close to the center of the map as I can, just to make reviving any player in any location more plausible. Play the medic, and you'll besurprised how much fun it can be. The game is no fun for someone who bleeds out after having pack-a-punched weapons. In high rounds, the game is no fun spectating for 20 minutes. In early rounds the game is no fun missing out on the valuable early game activities. The game can be so much more enjoyable for all if there is a dedicated, and determined medic.

Play for your team, and not for you. This is somewhat an extension of the above rule. Buy those doors, cover players who are using pack-a-punch or buying Jug. The game can be more enjoyable by treating these courtesies as if they were legitimate objectives. It can present to you interesting and challenging scenarios you'd never run across if you kept to yourself and put your own survival over the welfare of the team.

Play a little wild. If you accepted the first rule, then any BO2 map with Double Tap 2 will allow you to use most pack-a-punched weapons for most of the game. So stop always aiming for that 'ideal' set up. Get a shotgun. Grab a sniper. Pack-a-punch anything that isn't complete crap (Pretty much Kap-40, War Machine (meh), and S-12). Don't just run a repetitive circle. Move around the map. If you're following the above rules already, unless you found a rare team of 3 skilled randoms, you'll probably already be moving around from revives and other player assists. Don't camp. Unless the whole team is doing it, don't find a corner and camp. This especially applies to Origins, but some other maps as well.

Talk, but with style. Always say 'sir', and 'ma'am' 'gents' 'ladies' 'comrades' have fun and be just a little different. Be flamboyant and enthusiastic, but don't chatter. Speak to respond, and speak when the situation calls for it. When someone downs, ask them for a description of where they are. Help people. Lead by example. Correct info you can PROVE is false, otherwise just share what you know when it comes up. Don't force your tips on them. Don't tell them what to do, don't tell them what they should do, you could probably go without even remotely trying to nudge them in a certain direction. But don't be a pushover. If a decision comes up, give your vote. If it is debated, give your reasons. Always remember to play for your team.

If you follow these guidelines, and you enter a lobby with a cheerful attitude, and a witty response; you charge into battle with a DSR-50 and still manage to get the most revives and a low amount of downs; you follow your team and remember 'no man left behind', leading when necessary, guarding always. Then, you are ready to be a FroLord.

I hope you enjoy my ramblings CoDz, this is Master MegaAfroMan, bringing you the scirpture by which I play with randoms.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello MegaAfroMan.

I have always respected you as a person and valued your priceless opinions. Your partially excellent post today was statistically perfect in portraiting our experiences as a survivor in the world of zombies. It geometrically analyzed us in the trenches hoping to forever save the world. Your ability to see the big picture will one day empower you over other nerds.

But your bologna is lacking the truth.

Doing the same crap everyday and hope for better results is the ultimate American Dream. A guy on the 4th date may not get lucky, but it's the possibility that it may happen that drives him. An athlete on a shitty team may be optimistic about the upcoming season, even though the chances are slim. It is the hope, the unknown, that secretly fuel our curiosity and our drive to do the same shit tommorrow.

Every game we play, it is the failure, not the result, that drives us. Everytime we falter, we light another match in our fire of desire. Everytime we stumble, we add propane to our fire of desire. It is the emptiness that make us come back to another game, not fulfillment. You play the game again for the process, not the result.

I expected better from you, but this misstep will only make you stronger, and wiser.

The boring guy.

I always say that the amount of fun you have playing zombies is how much fun you let yourself have. Don't limit your own enjoyment with the burden of strategy and flawlessness. That kind of plastic existence is too monotonous for fun. In a world that demands perfection and uniformity, every misshapen spark's unseen beauty is greater than that of its would be judgement. So be wild.