Using the @Mention Function

GRILL

Question

Hey CODZ.

You all now have the ability to "tag" each other in posts, using the newly implemented @Mention Function!

Essentially, you can tag a member and they will get a notification that you tagged them.  We'd like this to not become an annoying thing, so please tag responsibly - and keep in mind that just because you tag someone does NOT guarantee nor mandate a response.

First, you'll have to enable "New Comment" notifications:

In the upper right, click on your username - then click on "My Settings" > "Notification Options".

Scroll down to the field titled "Forums", and tick the left button (circled below in the photo)

B2MXlWU.png

Make sure to "Save" your changes.

Second, you'll have to know how to @Mention members:

You'll notice that there is a new field in the avatar space (circled below in the photo)

Simply click "@Mention" in the avatar field, and it will automatically add the user's mention to the post box at the bottom of the thread, or wherever your cursor is within the post box.

You can also simply type @random username and it should "mention" them.  (you'll know that it works if the name highlights the user's usercolor - like so @Hells Warrrior.  if it doesn't, you aren't spelling it correctly.  look for spaces in their name.  Also, you won't be able to see it's work until you've published/posted - i.e. if you are previewing a post, or thread then you won't see their names hightlight)

Lastly there is also the basic code function which is 

When you are tagged, the notification will say:

Third, let us know what you think!

Tell us in this thread.  Do you like it?  Is it annoying?  Any bugs?

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

12 answers to this question

I have a bad feeling the feature will be abused in attempts to be funny such as (Not calling anyone out, just a random example)

*lengthy and intelligent post here*

"Oh yeah, almost forgot, @Electric Jesus is actually a robot disguised as a boy disguised as a girl"

I just personally don't think there's much use for it since PMs can mostly do its job instead.

Please, if you can, explain the benefits of @Mention. I'm being completely serious, no sarcasm or whatever. Guide this blind simpleton.

Edited by GameChanger

I have a bad feeling the feature will be abused in attempts to be funny such as (Not calling anyone out, just a random example)

*lengthy and intelligent post here*

"Oh yeah, almost forgot, @Electric Jesus is actually a robot disguised as a boy disguised as a girl"

I just personally don't think there's much use for it since PMs can mostly do its job instead.

Well the whole idea is to use it responsibly.

Like, for instance, calling upon MuderMachineX for a fact check.

Calling upon Boom, or GameChanger for an opinion.

It's about creating a specific response to a specific thread.  Everyone has different expertise on CODZ, and this way - you can tag who you think is relevant to the conversation... whether it be off topic, storyline related, gameplay related.  This takes out the extra step of the private PM, and keeps people engaged in the thread.  That's me trying to "sell it" to you lol.

I totally understand where you are coming from, and like I said - if it turns out to be a nuisance then absolutely it will be removed.  We are just trying to engage new methods of communication on CODZ, and are exploring what we can do.  Thanks for your input though, @GameChanger

Thank you for explaining, I appreciate that. It's a real convenient and handy feature, I have to say. It's just up to us to use it responsibly.

No problem @GameChanger !  I edited my response after you edited yours, to explain the benefits further - in short:

It's about creating a specific response to a specific thread.  Everyone has different expertise on CODZ, and this way - you can tag who you think is relevant to the conversation... whether it be off topic, storyline related, gameplay related.  This takes out the extra step of the private PM, and keeps people engaged in the thread.  That's me trying to "sell it" to you lol.

@GameChanger

Think of it as a shortcut to PM'ing someone & linking the thread URL in the PM.

All in all, I think this is a good implementation & can't really see it as being annoying.

If my name is mentioned in a thread, I would like to know. Just incase I miss that post.

I would like to make a claim:

The @username feature would function at its most optimal condition with notifications being turned on by default, and only turned off by means of an "opt-out" system.

My reasons:

The purpose of the function is to be able to call a thread or post to a specific user's attention without having to PM them seperately.

Unless I missed something, this is the ONLY real reason to allow this feature.

Therefore I assume the staff are on board with the fact that this idea can be beneficial.

If the system is an "opt-in" then chances are many people will not take the effort (either by ignorance or apathy) to not turn on their notifications, which makes the feature pointless to use for those members.

We do not have any means (other than trial and error, and simply asking) to tell whether the individual who is attempted to be summoned has notifications enabled.

Because data has shown many times that in the case of an opt in v opt out feature, making something opt in, makes it far less likely to be used, than the EXACT same feature set to opt out, simply because unless people are motivated to either turn it on or turn it off, they will stick with the default option.

The primary argument against this feature is that it may be misused and annoy members who get notified too frequently.

If those members (and every other member who isn't enthusiastic about this idea) have to take extra steps to "opt in", chances are they'll just stick with the default and stay out.

However without participating they have no grounds to determine if the feature would annoy them, and by not participating they are weakening the effectiveness of the feature making it more redundant.

I conclude with saying that if it is made defaulted at on, then membes will usually only take the effort to turn it off if they find it annoying, which was the only reason given against the feature in the first place, therefore making the system run smoothly, and giving, at least initially, the most practical power available to this feature ensuring that the first few uses will be guaranteed to work allowing for more truly representative testing.

Even after the initial users determine if they think it's worth the effort to turn off, chances are a large portion who would have stayed at the default "off" because of lack of motivation, would also stick with the default of "on" for a similar lack of motivation, still ensuring that for the majority of users, the feature will work as intended.

• Tech Admin

Very true, but the feature is set to notifications off by default upon installation, I can enable them by default by inserting an SQL command to switch it on. This is possibly going to happen and then the member needs to opt out. It is still a beta test though to see how things go.

Refined this post a little bit, also moved it to the "questions" forum.  To anyone that is reading this for the first time, you can use the @Mention function to tag other members!  Go on up to the OP and learn how!

Also - we still have not been able to set the notifications to universally on for everyone.  You have to go into your settings, and change a section in your notifications if you want to see when people @mention you.  All the info you need is in the OP.