The Catalysts - The Purpose of the Towers

Dear Reader,
If you are reading this, than you have clicked into this thread because either:
a. The title looked interesting
b. You know who I am and what I do
c. You were on your quest to becoming the reader of all threads
Whatever the reason, be sure to stick it out to the end of this kind of... thrown together theory. I simply couldn't keep it in anymore and decided to set it free for the world to judge.

So what is this thread about?
This thread is about my idea on the purpose of the towers from the side-based Side Missions from Black Ops 2. 
Now, many believed these to be simply another "fail" by Treyarch. Some half-baked easter-egg in the works which ran out of time. However, I believe I may have cracked the secret of them, and why Richtofen needed them to "take full control of the Aether"/why Maxis needed them to take the next step up the ladder of authority in the Aether.

The basis of this theory lies within the word catalyst. A catalyst is something which is used to speed up a chemical reaction but is not consumed in the process. It is simply a way to increase the rate in which the chemical reaction is happening.

"How does this relate to Zombies?" is something you may be asking yourself right now. The answer lies within the Towers.

The Towers - Catalysts of Power

The Three Towers. A trifecta of tediousness. These are the three spires which are powered throughout the sided easter eggs in Black Ops 2, located in the Hanford Site, USA, Shanghai, China, and Angola, Africa. 
At the base of each, a NavCard Reader lay in wait, preparing itself for the day it would serve it's duty and link up with the geographical location of it's predecessor. Once all were linked and power coursed throughout the steel structures, the full speed of the reaction takes place.

"What reaction?"

When Richtofen entered the MPD, he did so by a cruel means, usurping the current resident. However, it was not what he bargained for. When he entered the MPD, his head was so full of what he would be able to do with his new-found power, that he realised too late that he was now in control of a world full of shambling corpses. He was heartbroken. He probably cried for weeks. But, then he realised something. He was an all-powerful omnipotent being! He could use his malicious power to heal the Earth and take control of a living society, and it would be a beautiful world... for him to play with!
Think of the next bit as kind of a download on your computer. It comes up with an estimated time remaining. Well, when he tried to heal the Earth, it was going to take a long, long time. Most likely a couple thousand years. That was time he simply didn't have, the impatient being he was. But, if he were in complete and utter control of the Aether, he would have no problem healing the Earth in the blink of an eye. But, to do that, he had to remove the blocks that Samantha had placed in there to stop him from gaining access to do the thing she had dreaded he would do; make humanity his slaves.
He found a simple solution.
Why not gain the power first? Then he could tear through this place faster than you could say wunderbar! It was a brilliant plan. However, he no longer possessed a human form. Bummer. So he sought out survivors. He sought out those who could fulfil his plans. 

Side Note About NavCards:
When the Towers are initially powered, their energy is contained and is also frequent. What the NavCards do are tell the Towers where to send their energy. TranZit's Tower sends the energy to Die Rise, Die Rise goes to Buried, and Buried back to TranZit. 

When we power the Towers, we are simply speeding up the control process of whoever we are assisting. The Towers are acting as a catalyst, transmitting power through each other to give amplified energy back to our side's master. This is allowing them, once all are linked, to give insane amounts of limitless energy to who they serve.
Pressing the Button in the Courthouse in Buried ends the reaction, as the energy is sent back to it's master and allows them control over the Aether. This is why the Towers can be re-used for new sides. It is because catalysts are not consumed in the process of amplification, only used as, say, focusing devices.

I hope you enjoy this strange post. This was something which simply clicked during a science lesson, and I had to share it here (because if not here, then where?).
Please excuse the fact that it went all over the shop, I've not slept properly in the last few days and I'm writing this at 11pm on a Friday night.

Thank you for taking your time to read this. Please tell me, whether it be in a reply or a PM (if it's really harsh) what you thought of this. Any feedback is much appreciated.

Naitrax out.

Edit: 4/5/14 Infest's NavCard Explanation 

Interesting connection, friendo! I was always an advocate for the towers being energy transfer devices that would channel said energy to its corresponding receptor (in this case, the MPD). A simple concept that is thoroughly explained...that is what I love to read. 
A little tidbit on the further explanation of the NavCard (if you don't mind):

The setup for the NavCard table also illustrates how this process is working. A 115 meteorite is what helps amplify the tower; you could even call it the primary energy source. Recall that Element 115 has unnatural properties, specifically electrically. The rock allows the amplification process to increase to the point where it can channel power as a conglomerate with other towers, all transferring the energy towards the receiving point or the M.P.D. The radio/transistor helps for global navigating to lock precision on accompanying towers that are connected online as well. The tower structures themselves are just satellite dishes which house the energy being derived where as the table setup is the initial power house for it.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators

Interesting connection, friendo! I was always an advocate for the towers being energy transfer devices that would channel said energy to its corresponding receptor (in this case, the MPD). A simple concept that is thoroughly explained...that is what I love to read. 

A little tidbit on the further explanation of the NavCard (if you don't mind):

The setup for the NavCard table also illustrates how this process is working. A 115 meteorite is what helps amplify the tower; you could even call it the primary energy source. Recall that Element 115 has unnatural properties, specifically electrically. The rock allows the amplification process to increase to the point where it can channel power as a conglomerate with other towers, all transferring the energy towards the receiving point or the M.P.D. The radio/transistor helps for global navigating to lock precision on accompanying towers that are connected online as well. The tower structures themselves are just satellite dishes which house the energy being derived where as the table setup is the initial power house for it.

• Administrators

Thank you very much Infest.

Would you mind if I quoted your NavCard in-depth-ness into the OP? It really just shows how much Treyarch really do know what they are doing.

By all means. :)

It should also be noted that two entities use two different forms of energy - electricity and Element 115.

Maxis resides as well in the Aether - and the MPD - but does not hold the same position as Richtofen did. Thus, he was quite incapable of controlling anything like Gersh when he was initially trapped in Ascension. In fact, it's almost the exact scenario. His soul is essentially the mainframe of Griffin Station where he can only communicate to others via electrical devices. By obtaining electrical power with such a massive magnitude, it is possible that he could reverse engineer the effects of the M.P.D. thus switching the roles between him and Richtofen. Then, poor little Edward would be bound to the powerless section of the Aether, only to be tormented by Maxis eternally but never dead.

Richtofen, however, used Element 115 purely for power. It's an obvious choice, and Samantha points out on Moon that killing the zombies only increases his power. This is why it would have taken a good while to "heal" the Earth; he would have waited for others to kill the endless horde of undead, thus constantly supplying him power. Just as you said, the towers would amplify the energy obtained from Element 115 directly to him. More power equals larger abilities equals powerful ruler of the Aether.

and then maxis wants to use the energy to crack argartha wide open, obviously. 

But the big question still remains, why, and how, is samantha IN argartha? It seems very unlikely that Nikolai and Co. just randomly teleported there after the whole moon thing. So, what brought them there? Assuming they're all still together. 

Also something you should look at: 

What if the earth was already omitting the energy richtofen needed to control the world and the nukes destroyed that energy? 

After reading that quote about Sam saying killing them gives Richtofen energy, I am led to believe that the whole purpose of the nukes was to free up the energy from the Zombies, so that it could be channeled in a certain way for the Towers.

Maxis had this as his back up plan, because once Richtofen was in the MPD, Maxis knew he'd have to use a crap ton of energy to usurp him. The nuclear strikes killed millions of Zombies in a single instant, therefore clogging the flow of their souls to Richtofen, keeping their souls upon Earth, and allowing that energy to settle. It is later pulled from it's state of dormancy and channeled into the towers via the process we complete in-game.