I Have a Question About User of the Month

MysteryMachineX

Question

So, you know the square on the index page which broadcasts the User of the Month? What determines the text within it? I imagined that it would change every month with something saying why the person won. Is that the case? Right now for H-Warrior, all it says is statistical data. No offense, but I really don't care when anyone signed up or how many posts they make. If someone is supposed to be important (as in, User of the Month), then what I will care about is something saying why they won, not just a bunch of numbers and dates. Not to mention that it says whether he is online or not… I find that a bit creepy to be broadcasted.

So… how exactly does it work?

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

11 answers to this question

Yeah it's just statistical data pulled from the winner's profile.

On our frontpage however, the text used to congratulate our current UOTM is much more personal and actually states the reason why Hells won the award.

I would suggest having the text on the index page changed to the one we currently have on the frontpage.

As that one's much more interesting to read than a bunch of statistics that I can also view when viewing their forum profile.

Also, how do you rate someone's profile?

• Tech Admin

The UoTM data is purely statistical data, the text is predetermined. We can change it to a more personal greeting and match it to the user, however, it will need changed every month and the actual text isn't easily accessible to change. It's hidden in the depths of the language files.

I'll see what I can do to make this easier to change.

Slade is right. Why isn't this just the text that appears on the index?

If you want to see a hard-working machine in action, s Warrrior is the man of the hour (well, month). Not only did he revamp the forum onto a new software, but he also reinstated several key features such as a new forum design, an Arcade, Livestream status, and the ever-so popular BRAINS. Look no further for the CoDz Warrior than H's Warrrior.

instead of

They first registered on this board 29 August 2013 - 12:18 PM165 days ago. They have posted 471times with a total of 2.85 posts per day. 

Their profile has been visited 120 times. They have received 17 reputation points and 0 users rate their profile. Right now they are offline but we have seen him at this site around Today, 11:46 AM.

• Administrators

Slade is right. Why isn't this just the text that appears on the index?

If you want to see a hard-working machine in action, s Warrrior is the man of the hour (well, month). Not only did he revamp the forum onto a new software, but he also reinstated several key features such as a new forum design, an Arcade, Livestream status, and the ever-so popular BRAINS. Look no further for the CoDz Warrior than H's Warrrior.

instead of

They first registered on this board 29 August 2013 - 12:18 PM, 165 days ago. They have posted 471times with a total of 2.85 posts per day. 

Their profile has been visited 120 times. They have received 17 reputation points and 0 users rate their profile. Right now they are offline but we have seen him at this site around Today, 11:46 AM.

The UoTM data is purely statistical data, the text is predetermined. We can change it to a more personal greeting and match it to the user, however, it will need changed every month and the actual text isn't easily accessible to change. It's hidden in the depths of the language files.

I'll see what I can do to make this easier to change.

I think there's actually a mod for this called iPBBlock (or something along those lines). It essentially replicated the block style and you can add any custom information you want in there. It would mean manually inserting the info and everything else which may be a tad time consuming; however, it yields the desired result of a personal congratulations for UOTMs.

http://community.invisionpower.com/files/file/2447-e32-custom-sidebar-blocks/

• Tech Admin

It's a valid point MMX and I contemplated changing it.

However, as I said earlier. It is hidden in the depths of the language files. What does this mean? well you can't just login to the ACP, select UoTM and then edit the information because no option exists. So what you need to do, is go to the look and feel option, select languages, then search for the UoTM app and then ensure you select the relevant language bit to edit, then save it.

The look & Feel option in the ACP isn't available to everyone for obvious reasons, not that it's a trust issue but we can't allow for any accidents with the skin for the board, or the mobile version etc. etc.IP Block is for IP.Content - IP.Board and IP.Content are two different things, what we can do is have a custom block on the forum but we have an app for it. I'm not a massive fan of the default text in the UoTM but it is all we have at the moment, ideally the frontpage and the index should be exactly the same.