Resolution 1295 Explained...

GRILL

The name of the overarching social event that revolves around "Buried" is "Resolution 1295".

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I say "social event" because we've had several overarching taboo social events

(click the below spoilers if you DON'T know what I'm talking about):

a secret U.S. Government release of radioactive fission products on December 2–3, 1949, at the Hanford Site plutonium production facility.

The project gets its name from the processing of uranium at Hanford. Due to the higher radioactivity involved, batch processing waited 83 to 101 days to allow the radioactive isotopes to decay. For the Green Run test, a batch was run with only a 16 day cooling period. The unfiltered exhaust from the production facility was therefore much more radioactive than during a normal batch.

an economic and social campaign by the Communist Party of China (CPC) from 1958 to 1961.

It Included the introduction of a mandatory process of agricultural collectivization, which was introduced incrementally. Private farming was prohibited, and those engaged in it were labeled as counter revolutionaries and persecuted. Restrictions on rural people were enforced through public struggle sessions, and social pressure, although people also experienced forced labor. The Great Leap ended in catastrophe, resulting in tens of millions of excess deaths.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A BRIEF HISTORY LESSON

Resolution 1295 is described on wiki, as so:

United Nations Security Council resolution 1295, adopted unanimously on 18 April 2000,...[led to] tightening of sanctions against UNITA and established a panel of experts to investigation violations of Security Council resolutions imposing measures against UNITA.

Just so we're all on the same page, UNITA essentially stands for = National Union for the Total Independence of Angola

Founded in 1966, UNITA fought... in the Angolan War for Independence (1961–1975) and then against the MPLA in the ensuing civil war (1975–2002).

The war was one of the most prominent Cold War proxy wars, with UNITA receiving military aid from the United States and South Africa while the MPLA received support from the Soviet Union and its allies.

UNITA was led by Jonas Savimbi from its foundation until his death in 2002.

The Security Council expressed its alarm at the continuing civil war in Angola and its impact on the civilian population. It reiterated that the primary cause of the crisis in Angola was the failure of UNITA, under the leadership of Jonas Savimbi, to comply with obligations under the Acordos de Paz, Lusaka Protocol and relevant Security Council resolutions. In this regard, it demanded that UNITA immediately and unconditionally complete the demilitarisation of its forces and co-operate in the extension of state authority throughout Angola.

So to put it as simply as possible, Resolution 1295 was an act by the United Nations to impose sanctions against a country in fits of a civil war, and to disband the leading rebel political party by assassinating their leader. The leading rebel political party fighting in the war (UNITA) was founded by Jonas Savimbi, so he was the main target in their attempts to disband UNITA (the only way to do this was to assassinate him).

Jonas Savimbi

Jonas Malheiro Savimbi (August 3, 1934 – February 22, 2002) was an Angolan political and military leader. He founded and led UNITA, a movement that first waged a guerrilla war against Portuguese colonial rule (1966–1974), then confronted the rival MPLA during the decolonization conflict (1974–75), and after independence in 1975 fought the ruling MPLA in the Angolan Civil War.

After surviving more than a dozen assassination attempts, Savimbi was killed on February 22, 2002, in a battle with Angolan government troops along riverbanks in the province of Moxico, his birthplace. In the firefight, Savimbi sustained 15 gunshot wounds to his head, throat, upper body and legs.

Savimbi's somewhat mystical reputation for eluding the Angolan military and their Soviet and Cuban military advisors led many Angolans to question the validity of reports of his 2002 death. Not until pictures of his bloodied and bullet-ridden body appeared on Angolan state television, did the reports of Savimbi's death in combat gain credence in the country.

Trained in China during the 1960s, Savimbi was a highly successful guerrilla fighter schooled in classic Maoist approaches to warfare, including baiting his enemies with multiple military fronts, some of which attacked and some of which consciously retreated. Like the Chinese Red Army of Mao Zedong, Savimbi mobilized important, although ethnically confined segments of the rural peasantry - overwhelmingly Ovimbundu - as part of his military tactics. From a military strategy standpoint, he can be considered one of the most effective guerrilla leaders of the 20th century.

UNITA's leadership was drawn heavily from Angola's majority Ovimbundu ethnic group and its policies were originally somewhat Maoist, perhaps influenced by Savimbi's early training in China. They aimed at rural rights and recognized ethnic divisions.

Now... why the hell is this guy so important? Well, if you've played the Black Ops 2 campaign - you may know what I'm getting at:

Jonas Savimbi appears in Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, and is present during flashbacks to Angola in 1986 during the Angolan Civil War - where he helps Alex Mason, and Jason Hudson find Frank Woods (who is missing).

He appears in "Pyrrhic Victory", where he leads his UNITA forces against the opposing MPLA forces.

Once the MPLA forces are dispersed, Hudson arrives with a helicopter on the battlefield. Savimbi then gives intel on Woods's location and points Hudson and Mason in the right direction. Savimbi then appears at the end of the level with an Mi-24 Hind, fighting back the Cuban forces that attacked Mason, Woods, and Hudson as they escape.

Viktor Reznov is also seen within these events, but it is unclear if it is really him as he doesn't talk. He has had implications to Zombies before (in WaW, BO & BO2), but we still haven't found a clear connection.

How does this fit into Zombies?

At this point, I'm unsure of how this all fits into our zombies storyline. That's where I need your help. Here is my thought process:

+ "Buried"'s overarching theme is "Resolution 1295" (drafted in 2000)

+ "Resolution 1295" sought to disband UNITA

+ Jonas Savimbi was the leader of UNITA

+ Jonas Savimbi trained in China in the 1960's

+ Alex Mason fought with Jonas Savimbi (& UNITA) in 1986

+ Alex Mason saw Reznov

Perhaps it will all seem more clear when we have the Easter Egg complete, but as of now - I'm pretty stumped. Regardless, it is important to understand the social event behind "Buried", and now we can advance knowing that some of this information may hold the key to further knowledge.

Random Facts

What does "Pyrrhic Victory" mean?

A Pyrrhic victory is a victory with such a devastating cost that it carries the implication that another such victory will ultimately lead to defeat. Someone who wins a Pyrrhic victory has been victorious in some way; however, the heavy toll negates any sense of achievement or profit. A "Pyrrhic victory" can also mean a false or temporary victory where a win entails a loss subsequently or in the bigger picture.

Thanks for reading! :mrgreen:

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I recently thinked that Zombies was losing the "connection" to BOs campaigns in BOII,but this thing with Savimbi seens to prove me wrong.

Anyway,I'm pretty stumped too.So,the map is placed on a date between 1975-2002?At least,it appears to be.

Resolution 1295 reinforces the "chapter theory" I've read here somewhere,although this doesn't come to play out now.

Only thing I can think in right now,is in somekind of metaphor involving this war.So,Savimbi was the "rebel that should be stopped" in the MPLA vision.UNITA acts like a opposition party to MPLA,seeking the total independence of Angola.So,maybe a relation between Savimbi in the war and Maxis in our actual Zombies scenario is plausible.With good intentions or not,Richtofen wants to stop him and the humanity's ascension(rebellion)(this if we assume Maxis being the "good one")

Maybe this thing of rebellion and Savimbi relates with Stuhlinger too.I wouldn't be surprised if something critical was revealed to him in the end of BO2,and then right after that,he got killed by zombies or some kind of force,perishing with all the chances of the N4 knowing something about these "Wars".

Really,really confusing.We should look upon things like that...And sorry for not being of use at all.

The way you tied that in with the campaign had me thinking that when the final zombie map ends, we would be tossed into a campaign, kinda like when WaW ended and we were tossed into the mystical zombie world of Nacht der Untoten.. Just the opposite..

While I'll agree that most of this map takes place in Angola a portion of the map also takes place in Australia.

The location is listed as Primary Plates.

I think what is happening is Australia has shifted and somewhat collided with Africa.

The Missiles have heated the earths molten core to the point that tectonic plates are free to shift around again...

The location is listed as Primary Plates.

I think what is happening is Australia has shifted and somewhat collided with Africa.

There are 8 Primary Plates across the world.

1. African Plate

2. Antarctic Plate

3. Australian Plate

4. Eurasian Plate

5. Indian Plate

6. North American Plate

7. Pacific Plate

8. South American Plate

Why Australia? We don't see any aborigines. We did heard a didgeridoo in MotD (but I assume 3arc was just getting native americans and native aborigines confused ).

I agree with you that the missiles are what caused the plates to shift. But the Western town just really throws a wrench in everything. How would a town just get picked up and shoved underground half a world away? Perhaps it experienced one of the same teleporting tornadoes that picked Shangri La up?

Really is a head scratcher...

Why Australia? We don't see any aborigines. We did heard a didgeridoo in MotD (but I assume 3arc was just getting native americans and native aborigines confused ).

Well there's a few reasons I believe it's partially Australia:

1. MOTD Didgeridoo sound (I don't see how they could confuse them lol)

2. The Australia plate was once connected to the African plate in the first place so it would not be a stretch to think they could re-connect once the stuff starts shifting again.

3. Living Stone Mine is in Australia

4. Old Australian Mining towns would look near identical to an "American Old West" town

5. All signs everywhere are in English.

6. The world map shows the basic shapes of the continents by showing a lava type outline. Neither Australia nor the Southwest coast of Africa are visible. In actuality it looks like a new "Super Continent"

7. Kangaroos are cool :mrgreen:

Great post GRILL.

Lots of cool info & the very first mission in BOII. I like your link of each of the campaign characters.

@ Jason.

Australia! That's a cool link for the central plates. Though I think the map is in Africa because of the name, it's definetly a messed up map! We only know of 1 exact location of where the moon missles landed (Nuketown) & China is practically above Australia, so I don't think it is Australia, but it seems like something has shifted.

Australia went through the Gold Rush era at the same time as America. Some great history is the "Eureka Stockade". Livingstone mine may be a reference to Peter Livingston (Zombie Dev)

Australia has been hinted at a few times, Kookaburra's in Shi No Numa. I haven't heard the didgeridoo, I think what you hear may be a Native Amrican sound instead? The books in MOTD that is titled mine ??? (can't remember).

And in TranZit we have the magazine.

Air Travel Quarterly

- 10 Best Vacation Locations

- Australia? (under the map)

Wow, sorry to go sor far off topic. But great post GRILL, I haven't started looking at anything story related yet. Buried is a fun map so far, looks of little tricks to do.

Well there's a few reasons I believe it's partially Australia:

1. MOTD Didgeridoo sound (I don't see how they could confuse them lol)

2. The Australia plate was once connected to the African plate in the first place so it would not be a stretch to think they could re-connect once the stuff starts shifting again.

3. Living Stone Mine is in Australia

4. Old Australian Mining towns would look near identical to an "American Old West" town

5. All signs everywhere are in English.

6. The world map shows the basic shapes of the continents by showing a lava type outline. Neither Australia nor the Southwest coast of Africa are visible. In actuality it looks like a new "Super Continent"

7. Kangaroos are cool :mrgreen:

very compelling reasons indeed, Jason Lives. ESPECIALLY #7 ;) but in all seriousness, I'm quite interested to try and study the "earth map" a little more (now looking out for the Super Continent").

Great post GRILL.

Australia has been hinted at a few times, Kookaburra's in Shi No Numa. I haven't heard the didgeridoo, I think what you hear may be a Native Amrican sound instead? The books in MOTD that is titled mine ??? (can't remember).

Thanks PINNAZ!

here is the didgeridoo sound that we're talking about:

e2H539AlGu4

Great post GRILL.

Lots of cool info & the very first mission in BOII. I like your link of each of the campaign characters.

@ Jason.

Australia! That's a cool link for the central plates. Though I think the map is in Africa because of the name, it's definetly a messed up map! We only know of 1 exact location of where the moon missles landed (Nuketown) & China is practically above Australia, so I don't think it is Australia, but it seems like something has shifted.

Australia went through the Gold Rush era at the same time as America. Some great history is the "Eureka Stockade". Livingstone mine may be a reference to Peter Livingston (Zombie Dev)

And in TranZit we have the magazine.

Air Travel Quarterly

- 10 Best Vacation Locations

- Australia? (under the map)

Wow, sorry to go sor far off topic. But great post GRILL, I haven't started looking at anything story related yet. Buried is a fun map so far, looks of little tricks to do.

PINNAZ

I think Asia is part of the new super continent as well as parts of Europe.

Also GRILL great job on the connection with the campaign, I'd love to see more crossover stuff like they had in Blops1.

I still believe that Reznov has part to play in the Blops/W@W universe and possibly in zombies as well.

Also GRILL great job on the connection with the campaign, I'd love to see more crossover stuff like they had in Blops1.

I still believe that Reznov has part to play in the Blops/W@W universe and possibly in zombies as well.

Thanks, Jason. Well now we have this AND the galvaknuckles. Yes, Reznov is probably one if the most mysterious/interesting characters in 3arc history. "Reznovs Revenge", Reznov being in the Phrryic Victory mission, I really hope the curtain gets drawn back a little on him and his TRUE involvement (and if he even existed after WaW)