Marlton's Background-- THEORIES! (UPDATED 3/10)

Hi,

There are a lot of theories out there without real evidence about how Marlton is a time travelling scientist from the future to save us, or how he's some huge traitor siding with Rhichtofen. I've recently found something that finally proves that it's all a load of bull.

So I was on callofduty.com, and decided to look at information about the BOII Season Pass, and found an interesting description of Nuketown. (link: http://www.callofduty.com/blackops2/dlc/seasonpass )If you don't feel like going there, it says at one point:

"A group of radiation scientists are investigating the Nuketown remains and discover soldiers that have been revived by Element 115 from a nearby Nevada base. The zombie soldiers attack the radiation scientists and turn them, and after receiving a distress signal, the base in Nevada sends in CIA and CDC agents to investigate."

Ok, HUGE story explainer right there. The theory I get from this is as follows:

Marlton was with those radiation scientists working at Area 51, and was doing experiments with 115 before he became trapped in the Nuketown Fallout Shelter. Sort of like an American Rhictofen, but without a personal vendetta against guy like Maxis. He was with the scientists we hear the radio transmissions through the TV at Farm from at Nuketown, (edit: Jackass Flats. Thanks @charries96.) proved by when you hear the coordinates. They had started hearing Rhictofen and Maxis giving orders, telling them to bring each other down. The scientists became torn and started fighting. Zombies came, and a Grief match of sorts arose. In the end, they all were turned except for Marlton, who had picked no side. (edit: see update.) They exiled him for this, shown in the quote heard from him in the shelter: "...abandoning someone for being different..."and he hid in the fallout shelter for safety. All scientists were killed, and the CIA/CDC came.

Now for my lesser proved theory.

You know how you hear T.E.D.D.'s horn go off near Nuketown? I think that the original route he was supposed to take passed near it. When T.E.D.D. passes the blocked road next to the diner, he says:

"Error, error. Global Positioning Navigation Error. Continuing current automatic rerouting system." or something on the lines of that.

This shows that T.E.D.D. could have been on an original route by Nuketown, and instead was looped back into Green Run. Perhaps Marlton followed T.E.D.D. on the bike (edit: It's more probable that he ditched the bike and jumped on T.E.D.D.'s bus. That would explain how he made it so far, and we see no bike in Green Run. Thanks @Infest and everyone else who pointed it out.) or something like it to get to the bus station? This part is unconfirmed, and I really would like to hear your theories. Please just add reason to why you think you know what's happened. We, as the community, don't need any more nonsense theories or trolls out there.

Good luck! Hopefully we can get to the bottom of this!

UPDATE:

First, something small that I didn't include in the OP. I think that the scientists at Jackass Flats never had actually went to Nuketown. The zombies are the ones who had actually put on the equipment to stay safe from the radiation and go out there to get samples, whereas Marlton and everyone else there were the people that studied it.

Next:

Marlton escaped the bunker and used the bike found in the Garage to catch up to the bus, the numbers on his watch represented the time when the nuke was going to hit Nuke Town.

As for the mystery why Marlton was exiled.

Marlton was kicked from the group because the remainder of the group ingested Zombie Flest, or became part of the Flesh Cult. Marlton even says on the lines of, "I was the one who reported this disgusting behavior." It also explains why Stulinger won't talk to the group about ingesting flesh, because Marlton was "Banished" for not partaking the flesh, and Stulinger is afraid of what Marlton would do, "They'd kill me if they knew." I'm sure Russman is aware of what Stu has done, but Misty and Marlton have their own bond and would most likely kill Stu if felt in danger.

Just my two cents

oM Blitz really changed my mind and summarized the bottom half of the story perfectly. It's more likely that all of the scientists at Jackass Flats (excluding Marlton) consumed the Flesh, not just half and half. Speaking of the Flesh, I believe that everyone in it are the people that have a direct mental link to Richtofen. Something with the 115 in the body makes me think it must have some effect on the body, and it would explain why Samuel is the only one who can hear Richtofen outside of the drops. As per something I had recently read on another thread, (sorry for not citing who, can't remember off the top of my head,) perhaps the drops have a direct link to the Aether, and sense Marlton didn't eat/join the Flesh, he can only hear Richtofen during the effects of the drops.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators

Hm, this is actually a very nice read. Glad to see there are several connections to it rather than one, abridged version of what's already been hypothesized. Nice work. :)

It does seem understandable that Marlton was part of some group related to the CIA/CDC. The only problem is that Marlton speaks of being "discharged" from a particular group and feels like he has been betrayed in some way. How or when he was removed from the group is questionable, but what matters more importantly is that he is separated from other contact. I'm assuming that he was inside the shelter some time before the agents came to Green Run; possibly with the old extraction team that died off from the nuke being dropped like you have stated. But why would he really be exiled from the group? At least him being left out resulted in his survival.

The radio we hear in Green Run's Farm is actually giving us the coordinates to Jackass Flats. It is pretty close to Nuketown, as you can see the radio tower from quite a far distance (viewable both in the zombies map and the Black Ops multiplayer map). The events between the factions should happen before the ballistic missile from Moon impacted Nuketown. Maxis mentions not speaking to another human for "decades", so it goes along well with Green Run being some 20 years later.

I'm not too keen on the idea of Marlton biking his way to Hanford, WA. It's a looong distance, but I'm sure if we are even to go along with your theory, he'd have to hop onto the bus at some point or another. But I am really liking your original route theory with the Bus Driver. Now the question becomes what was the original stop rather than Green Run...it's difficult to tell with he numerous locations that the Bus Driver points out due to the navigation error.

Keep your ideas and theories comin', friendo!

Good theory, but now to poke some holes:

I'm a little unclear about this part, but did you say Marlton was with the survivors on the Farm radio? If so, that would be impossible since you're playing as him during the time the message is heard (apologies if that's not what you meant however). The fallout shelter is also open when we see the rocket hit Nuketown, so that means he likely saw the Bus and naturally ran for it to escape the zombies at the test site.

But I believe you're right about him being a radiation scientist- his quotes reveal he knows a lot about nuclear fusion, so that's another clue about his past. I'm not sure where you got the whole "vengeance for another guy" thing, though. As for your second theory, it's likely that the Speedway Busline (if you listen to the Bus Depot after the power is on it says it's Speedway Buses) is national, and not exclusive to Green Run. The bus' license plate reads Colorado despite the fact that we're in Washington State, and TEDD mentions tons of locations ranging from New York to Arizona.

• 2 weeks later...

ALL WRONG on nuketown zombies if you knife a certain nuke shelter you can hear marlton trapped inside trying to get out. The other scientists probably locked him in as a joke and got killed by the missiles that you shoot at earth on MOON. luckily marlton was locked inside and survived the missiles. afterwords he probably escaped wondered what happened saw zombies ran found the bus and jumped in . eventually somehow meeting the others. all facts found within the games he mentions being betrayed by his friends. and on a easter egg on nuketown zombies you can hear him trapped in a bunker cursing and trying to get out.

• Administrators

ALL WRONG on nuketown zombies if you knife a certain nuke shelter you can hear marlton trapped inside trying to get out. The other scientists probably locked him in as a joke and got killed by the missiles that you shoot at earth on MOON. luckily marlton was locked inside and survived the missiles. afterwords he probably escaped wondered what happened saw zombies ran found the bus and jumped in . eventually somehow meeting the others. all facts found within the games he mentions being betrayed by his friends. and on a easter egg on nuketown zombies you can hear him trapped in a bunker cursing and trying to get out.

Welcome to the forum, friendo!

But of all things, how could all of this be wrong? A theory is a theory; who's to say that you aren't wrong yourself? The OP used the Season Pass - which is clear text from Treyarch - that the events which followed are true. All we can verify is that Marlton was removed from the group in a dishonorable manner and he traveled via bus to Green Run. He could have been with the previous radiation scientist group, since he was trapped before our CIA/CDC teams came into Nuketown. There is actually a quote in Tranzit by Marlton that may further prove his relation to the radiation scientists (quote regarding the chemical properties of a nuke/flame).

Hm, this is actually a very nice read. Glad to see there are several connections to it rather than one, abridged version of what's already been hypothesized. Nice work. :)

It does seem understandable that Marlton was part of some group related to the CIA/CDC. The only problem is that Marlton speaks of being "discharged" from a particular group and feels like he has been betrayed in some way. How or when he was removed from the group is questionable, but what matters more importantly is that he is separated from other contact. I'm assuming that he was inside the shelter some time before the agents came to Green Run; possibly with the old extraction team that died off from the nuke being dropped like you have stated. But why would he really be exiled from the group? At least him being left out resulted in his survival.

The radio we hear in Green Run's Farm is actually giving us the coordinates to Jackass Flats. It is pretty close to Nuketown, as you can see the radio tower from quite a far distance (viewable both in the zombies map and the Black Ops multiplayer map). The events between the factions should happen before the ballistic missile from Moon impacted Nuketown. Maxis mentions not speaking to another human for "decades", so it goes along well with Green Run being some 20 years later.

I'm not too keen on the idea of Marlton biking his way to Hanford, WA. It's a looong distance, but I'm sure if we are even to go along with your theory, he'd have to hop onto the bus at some point or another. But I am really liking your original route theory with the Bus Driver. Now the question becomes what was the original stop rather than Green Run...it's difficult to tell with he numerous locations that the Bus Driver points out due to the navigation error.

Keep your ideas and theories comin', friendo!

Where it says that "he was something different" maybe that's because he is mysophobic? Just a random thought

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

There are a lot of theories out there without real evidence about how Marlton is a time travelling scientist from the future to save us, or how he's some huge traitor siding with Rhichtofen. I've recently found something that finally proves that it's all a load of bull.

So I was on callofduty.com, and decided to look at information about the BOII Season Pass, and found an interesting description of Nuketown. (link: http://www.callofduty.com/blackops2/dlc/seasonpass )If you don't feel like going there, it says at one point:

"A group of radiation scientists are investigating the Nuketown remains and discover soldiers that have been revived by Element 115 from a nearby Nevada base. The zombie soldiers attack the radiation scientists and turn them, and after receiving a distress signal, the base in Nevada sends in CIA and CDC agents to investigate."

Ok, HUGE story explainer right there. The theory I get from this is as follows:

Marlton was with those radiation scientists working at Area 51, and was doing experiments with 115 before he became trapped in the Nuketown Fallout Shelter. Sort of like an American Rhictofen, but without a personal vendetta against guy like Maxis. He was with the scientists we hear the radio transmissions through the TV at Farm from at Nuketown, proved by when you hear the coordinates. They had started hearing Rhictofen and Maxis giving orders, giving them orders to bring each other down. The scientists became torn and started fighting. Zombies came, and a Grief match of sorts arose. In the end, they all were turned except for Marlton, who had picked no side. They exiled him for this, shown in the quote heard from him in the shelter: "...abandoning someone for being different..."and he hid in the fallout shelter for safety. All scientists were killed, and the CIA/CDC came.

Now for my lesser proved theory.

You know how you hear T.E.D.D.'s horn go off near Nuketown? I think that the original route he was supposed to take passed near it. When T.E.D.D. passes the blocked road next to the diner, he says:

"Error, error. Global Positioning Navigation Error. Continuing current automatic rerouting system." or something on the lines of that.

This shows that T.E.D.D. could have been on an original route by Nuketown, and instead was looped back into Green Run. Perhaps Marlton followed T.E.D.D. on the bike or something like it to get to the bus station? This part is unconfirmed, and I really would like to hear your theories. Please just add reason to why you think you know what's happened. We, as the community, don't need any more nonsense theories or trolls out there.

Good luck! Hopefully we can get to the bottom of this!

I believe that the coordinates were for the Jackass flats, whilst nuketown was a few miles North (Pinnaz had a diagram somewhere.. explaining the distances between Nuketown, Jackass flats and Area 51)

• 2 weeks later...

Marlton escaped the bunker and used the bike found in the Garage to catch up to the bus, the numbers on his watch represented the time when the nuke was going to hit Nuke Town.

Marlton was kicked from the group because the remainder of the group ingested Zombie Flest, or became part of the Flesh Cult. Marlton even says on the lines of, "I was the one who reported this disgusting behavior." It also explains why Stulinger won't talk to the group about ingesting flesh, because Marlton was "Banished" for not partaking the flesh, and Stulinger is afraid of what Marlton would do, "They'd kill me if they knew." I'm sure Russman is aware of what Stu has done, but Misty and Marlton have their own bond and would most likely kill Stu if felt in danger.

Just my two cents

Just my two cents

I agree with you a lot actually. Now I'm considering editing my OP with what you just pointed out! :lol: Thanks!

Also, @charries96, I haven't thought of that yet. One thing I do know is that T.E.D.D. frequently uses locations of places with hidden laboratories, underground bunkers, and places that connect to aliens.

• Administrators

Quite plausible, actually! What I can't wrap my head around is that if Marlton already knew about Stuhlinger partaking in The Flesh, why wouldn't he have ratted him out by this point? Having someone in your survival group who has ingested zombie flesh - which could become a danger later on - is taking a huge risk for everyone else. It could explain why the two dislike each other, but it seems that two options could take place here:

- Marlton is aware of Stuhlinger's situation, however, keeps it to himself because there is no current eminent threat yet. If there was, he'd kill him in a heartbeat. The fact that Stuhlinger is still a survivor and can help the group survive makes Marlton consider whether or not to tell the others. This alone makes him despise Samuel, but not as much as Misty.

- Marlton knows The Flesh exists, but doesn't know that Stuhlinger was a part of it. He begins to have suspicions that Samuel may be a part of it (after listening to the radio transmission in Die Rise) since he matches all the symptoms of being exposed to the 115. In due time, Stuhlinger's secret will be revealed.