Instinct vs. Conditioning

Instinct vs. Conditioning

Ha! You thought I'd get into it with letting you know that my name is Ehjookayted AKA EyeCntSpel, and that today, I've been thinking about a couple things. I understand a lot of the game comes from strategy as well as just survival tactics, but there's a point where we all must think about how we have gotten so good at zombies.

What is instinct and what is conditioning? Are you a natural or are you trained to slay zombies? There has long been the idea that athletes are not born, they're made. And I must concede this, there is a point where your raw instincts become conditioned, and where your conditioning becomes your instinct.

We all had either instinct or conditioning guiding us to round 30 that first time, with the more skilled players perhaps getting the most revives, but also downing due to inevitable situations. We had the knowledgeable player staying alive but unable to come up in the clutch because of the lack of skill. Either way, round 20-30 was an achievement in and of itself.

Well let's break it down.

Instinct

Instinct is never dying from running past a zombie.

Instinct is running back the way you came.

Instinct is reviving for the game.

Instinct is that which cannot be taught through normal means.

Instinct is pure, undying, relentless, unwavering skill.

Conditioning

Conditioning is realizing that you're going to die when you do something.

Conditioning is learning to run a train over and over again.

Conditioning is never forgetting to leave a window unboarded.

Conditioning is moving the right way at all times.

Conditioning is keeping safe, staying smart, and knowing your limits.

Innovators and executors, our skillful and knowledgeable players have an array of tools. These tools are used to decipher which is which in zombies, how each strategy is related to either instinct or conditioning. Because at this stage, we have reached a point where there are strategies that can really help you out if you are predominantly an instinctive player or predominantly a conditioned player. Let's break down which strategies are which, starting with my favorite: No Man's Land!

Differentiating Strategies: What Type of Player Are You?

The Side Drop at its finest:

gCXg1F0FmhA

If you can see by watching closely, two very different types of running. Not only that, there are also different types of strategies for solo and co-op.

Solo strategies need to be less toned down, with the exception of No Man's Land. Dead Ops Arcade requires the most consistent skill of all the maps, but when talking about the foremost 10 maps, rinse and repeat is the safest.

Playing challenges soon becomes about everything you've ever learned. My advice when playing a challenge is to choose the role you're best accustomed to when in actual high round play. This way you don't mess up or find yourself in unfamiliar territory.

That's all I've got for you, guys. Enjoy!

Ehj~

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great observations and analysis from one of the best minds of CODZ.

What people do not realize is that this piece is the key to determine how to get better and what to work on. I long realized I have reached my full potential as a player. My zombie instincts are very limited thus making me an average player at best. What I need to work on and have been are planning ahead and playing safe.

Certain maps require a great deal of instincts, such as NML, Verrukt, and Five. Planning ahead and playing safe can only get you so far, dealing with the unexpected is ultimately what separates the Jays from the Eyes.

This is great, and realizing the importance of instincts should greatly enhance one's game. Great observations!!!

BTW one funny note. I was actually going to a piece on how limited my game is due to lack of instincts. Some basic points are outlined in your arguments. I scrapped it last second and actually finished something I had started the day before, that stupid 15 years later joke. As I was reading this I had chills and was smiling and shaking my head, because it sounded much like mine ideas, only sounded ten times better.