COTD 34+ Ultimate Safe Strategy + Max Ammos from George

A round 43 playthrough showing a super safe solo strategy for the higher rounds on COTD, best to start using it at around 34 as this is when the zombies start spawning in really fast and they take 2 hits from the Scavenger to kill.

Skip to 6:35 for a demonstration on how to get Max Ammos from zombies shocked by George - this works with a Scavenger or Wunderwaffe, as well as normal weapons; the Mustang & Sally, Ray Gun & Matryoshka Dolls are ideal for quickly taking out your group. You can only do this every 4-5 rounds after the last, e.g. my last shocked-zombies Max Ammo was round 38, so I could not do this again until round 43. I guess this is supposed to be some sort of replacement for dogs/scientist/monkeys. Like the boss rounds on previous maps, sometimes you'll be due it 4 rounds after the last, sometimes 5 - it's randomised.

If you do not claim the Max Ammo at the round you are due it, no problem - it will carry over to the following rounds until you are ready to make it drop!

Fim7DUk75QQ

This strategy is probably about the same speed as generally running the AK area by the time you've waited for the slow stragglers you get when running the area, not to mention it's a lot safer and more organised.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice one Hands, I like how you said every 5 rounds because that was always a question as to when the Charged zombies will stop giving max ammos. I am curious to know how you figured this number. I did notice in high rounds that you get max ammos out of any weapon or even by flopping as long as you charge them.

I haven't watched the video yet. Will check out later once I get home.

Thanks way, well I did some slight testing a while ago but I didn't notice any pattern, it just worked for me every time but I wasn't trying it so often. Tom then tested my theory that it works whenever you're due a drop and found this not to be the case, sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't. He noticed a pattern and we speculated that it's most likely something that can only occur every 4-5 rounds.

I did a quick game to 50 today and recorded this video and confirmed that it is indeed every 5 rounds that it works - every time I tried 5 rounds from the last, success. Just as a final confirmation, I tried on round 42 after having a successful attempt on round 38 and nothing, tried on round 43 and, as you see here, success. I then tried on rounds 47 and 48, round 47 as suspected was unsuccessful whereas 48 was successful, as expected.

It may be helpful to make things organised for easy memory, e.g. make sure the first one you drop for example is round 25 or 30 so from then onwards you'll be able to do it on round 35, 40, 45, 50 and so on.

I also tested it with the Mustang & Sally at round 33 and got an Instakill and a Death Machine, which was most likely because I was due 2 powerups anyways but I got no Max Ammo. Maybe it increases the chances of a Max Ammo using normal weapons but is still not guaranteed.

Could be worth a try... as I said I'm sure it's an alternative to the between-round bosses, so not sure why they'd stop it from working at round 50 or so, but I'll have to do a run to 60 one day soon just to make sure. I'd just do it legit though, it's easy enough especially once you start using this strategy. No way I'd be able to godmode it to round 60 anyways, I'd already be bored to tears by round 30 :lol:

I don't know how those mods/hacks/modes work on pc. So I am not sure what godmodes exactly does. May be you can write a thread educating us a bit more about this. Few of us new PC bros can benefit from this.

But to the point, The only problem with trying this legit is lets say you are close to 50 with no downs, Got bit distracted or lost focus and few zombies that spawn from the ground got you down (like they do to me.) It is hard to recover from that since they are all sprinters and this map not having any monkeys or gersches it is tough to get yourself to juggernog especially when Angry George is involved. But like you said a good player knows how to deal with this situations. I wish you luck. I might try your theory sometime soon.

few zombies that spawn from the ground got you down

That's the beauty of this strategy - you don't have to deal with spawners from the ground ;) You'll see what I mean when you see the video.

God mode is basically, you can't even get hit, the zombies swing at you and their hand just goes straight through you more or less. If you wanna try it just open the console in W@W and type in god before pressing enter. So yeah, the boredom from playing for 50 rounds without being able to ge hit would drive me insane :lol:

As for mods and hacks, I've no clue on these, apparently you can hack your rounds and stuff but I'm sure that'd take a lot of knowledge of programming/scripting which I do not have.

Thanks for the feedback guys, yeah way I wanted to give my solo guide project an update soon anyways so this will fit in nicely ;)

In my ongoing search for the perfect strategy for each map, for the 35+ rounds when they all start spawning in a clump, I've always tried to find a strategy that allows you to control the full-group spawning so it's consistent i.e. more or less the same every single time; if you play it like this then when you inevitably go into auto-pilot during a long game, you can afford to do so. Good exampes are the spawn on Ascension, the lobby on Kino, and the full-map-loop-and-trap strategies on Verruckt, SNN and Der Riese if dogs don't spawn.

On COTD, with the AK area, as has been pointed out you get them spawning out of the ground in different places each time and you get caught unaware occasionally, which can sometimes be disastrous. Kiting in the lighthouse, another popular strategy, is a little risky-without-benefits for my liking as well as the spawning being a little inconsistent. All of the other areas are a combination of these 2.

I knew from running the lighthouse in previous games that they will almost all spawn inside the lighthouse if you're in there. So I figured, why not try a strategy similar to my SNN flogger strategy, starting in one area to get them to spawn there and then run out into a different area to more or less have them all run out after me, almost nothing can go wrong if this type of strategy is performed correctly. I firstly tried killing the group on the second floor of the lighthouse, waiitng a few seconds and running down and out of the door to the AK area - it worked quite well but killing them on the second floor always held the risk of hitting George. So I tried killing on the third floor and running down, didn't quite work, had to unblock my path with the M&S at the lowest set of stairs in the 2 times I tried it; not safe enough, not good enough. I then figured that I could drop off the top and they should all follow down the stairs - bingo!

So give me a second... You confirmed it's every five rounds? That's epic to know.

This is true, been planning to test this properly at some point since our discussion about it and today I just felt in the mood for a little COTD ;)

But yeah, like I said it seems like an exact science that was more or less put in place to replace the boss rounds, so I'm not quite sure why it'd change at round 50... but it's always good to test these things ;)

Good stuff lemonade, I've played a total of about 6-7 solo games on COTD and I literally just started using this today, as I said in the search of a consistently easy strategy. The AK area is easy in general, but just sometimes certain situations arise that make things tough and I don't like to trust to luck in a strategy where possible.

Good stuff lemonade, I've played a total of about 6-7 solo games on COTD and I literally just started using this today, as I said in the search of a consistently easy strategy. The AK area is easy in general, but just sometimes certain situations arise that make things tough and I don't like to trust to luck in a strategy where possible.

Well said. This strategy is, IMO, foolproof. Unless you do something really stupid, it can't be topped. You have easy access to the 74u if you're going for points (like I do every game), George is a nonfactor, and it only gets easier as the spawn rate increases. That's a true mark of a good kiting area (or, in this case, strategy, as it's kind of a hybrid between camping and kiting): if the game actually gets easier as the spawn rate progresses. There's only a handful of locations I can think of where this actually occurs. The stage on Kino comes to mind, as well as full map loops on Verruckt. :D

Nice vid, bro! [brains]

Yeah definitely man, pretty much the examples I used earlier like the spawn in Ascension - easy to run from round 10 using a wider loop, then at round 35 you start using a smaller loop because you no longer need to drag it out to accommodate slower spawning, and you're taking out full spawns at 25 seconds a time and hardly taking a hit whilst doing so. The lobby on Kino, pretty tough in the early stages, but a joke to run at rounds 40+. And of course the loop-and-trap strategies of the classic maps, a little long but you can't go far wrong (nice little rhyme there). Well, unless you get mutts on Der Riese anyways, always there to throw a spanner in the works :lol:

I've personally completely gone off point-whoring with wall guns/MGs past round 10 unless it's for traps. I mean, prime example in my video here: look at my points total even though I never even touched a wall gun. I point-whored with the pistol, got the Sickle on round 4, used that until the end of round 9, crawler, box, nothing great, ran out of points, horded and M&S-killed until round 13, box again, Scavenger, used that from then onwards. I've come to realise that I used to waste hours and hours spraying and spraying and spraying, eventually ending up with loads of points that I'm never gonna use. It's probably wise to point-whore until you get the ideal weapon set-up, after that I like to go with horde, kill, repeat. Also eliminates the mistakes you normally make from walking backwards and shooting ;)

Something else that should be tested, didn't think until just now - say in this instance, I claimed my Max Ammo at 38, so I'll be due another at 43. What if I was to choose not to drop it - would it then carry over to round 44?

My guess is that it would, as this is the way drops work - like if you're due a few powerups, but you haven't yet recieved them because you've been using the Thundergun. As soon as you throw a Gersch Device or kill a few of them with an ordinary weapon, you drop multiple powerups in the space of a few seconds. So I'm guessing this Max Ammo would be carried over in the same way. It'd be good to know for definite though.

I'm currently doing a run to 60 to get some answers. I'm currently on round 27, and I've found some very interesting facts so far.

You know how dogs/scientist/monkeys come every 4-5 rounds, 4 or 5 being randomised. It's the exact same with these Max Ammos - I collected one on round 15, then recorded an attempt to drop one on round 19 to show that it's only every 5 rounds - to my surprise, I dropped one. So it is indeed every 4 or 5 rounds.

Now here's the best part. I did another test - as I made a mention about in an earlier post, what if I was due this Max Ammo but didn't claim it when it was due? Would it carry over so I could just drop it when I needed it?

The answer is... yes it does! As I said, I last dropped one on round 19, so would have been due one at 23 or 24. I didn't try to drop it until round 26, which was a success.

EDIT 1: Round 37 now, no downs.

The last 2 drops I've tried with normal weapons. Round 31 I used a Matryoshka Doll on my electrified horde, I did indeed drop a Max Ammo. Round 36, shocked horde, 1 Scavenger shot and finished them off with M&S, got a Max Ammo, 2 Instakills and a carpenter. Still more testing to be done on this as the other drops that came on the second attempt means it doesn't quite work exactly the same as a Scevenger/Wunderwaffe kill. Maybe it does work the same but also still allows other powerup drops as a normal weapon is being used. I'll continue using normal weapons to get my 5-roundly Max Ammos to see what results I get.

EDIT 2: Just ended the game at round 58. Overall, 1 down at round 43, I was trying out running on the second floor of the light house, it's about twice as fast as most other strategies but it gets pretty dangerous and cased me to go down.

I can confirm that you can still drop Max Ammos from George at rounds 50+, round 58 was the last round I dropped one on before ending the game, rounds 54 and 49 previous to this.

I used the Mustang & Sally and Matryoshka Dolls to kill the zombies when getting these drops, so it is true that nomal weapons will do the trick as long as the zombies are shocked.

As a side note, at round 45 the Scavenger will start to sometimes blow off zombies heads, which will occasionally drop a random powerup - happened to me 3 times between 45-58, dropping a Death Machine, Max Ammo and a Nuke.

I'll be making a video about this at some point with the footage I've recoded, but in the meantime all questions have been answered and I'll be updating the OP accordingly ;)