What have you learned from playing each map?

So I was in a game with Tom on Shangri La the other day, first time playing it in quite some time, and I mentioned that this map taught me that walking round and just sprinting when dodging zombies is much better than what I used to do beforehand - too much sprinting :lol: Got me thinking of an idea for this topic, so tell us what you've learned from playing each individual map:

Kino Der Toten

My first round 100 game, taught me how to handle really long games that stretch out for more than a day, as well as the importance of gathering in full trains before killing them in solo play.

FIVE

This map taught me a LOT. I played this map over and over when I first got the game, mostly ignoring Kino. I was a terrible solo player, rarely passing round 10 :lol: but this map taught me how to dodge zombies and the importance of running circles in solo and I soon hit my first 50+ solo game.

Ascension

I was already a half decent player when this map came out, but playing it turned me into a good player. I learned how to 'kite' rather than just 'run circles', learning cut-backs and drag-outs which really lowered the amount of downs in every game I played

This map also taught me how to effectively and consistantly revive my team-mates.

Call of the Dead

I think this map taught a lot of us the usefulness of the Mustang & Sally combined with Flopper. Ascension had Flopper too of course, but you never really saw anyone PaPing their M1911 until COTD came out.

Also taught me how to get way past 50 without using traps or depending on a Max Ammo every 4-5 rounds.

Shangri La

As I mentioned at the start of this post, this map taught me to just walk and sprint only at suitable times rather than constantly sprinting. Not only do you take less hits, but you can also survey a situation to decide on the best course of action rather than simply running into danger.

Moon/NML

Moon made it feel like the rounds went faster on other maps :lol:

No Man's Land... this taught me a LOT. It turned me from a good player into a great one. It taught me how to almost control the zombies' every move by reading their reactions to my movements like a book. It also taught me how to use the Mustang & Sally effectively even in maps without Flopper.

Nacht Der Untoten

This map taught me that I can be really lazy when I've got Juggernog :lol: But it also taught me how to survive without Juggernog, so the occasional down in co-op no longer lead to a few subsequent downs on my way to the Jugg machine.

Verruckt

This map taught me how to effectively run full-map loops, and that when doing this it's best to pick certain points in the loop to kill your group so you can handle the next spawn. Also that completely relying on traps can be a damn good last resort.

Shi No Numa

Wouldn't say I learned anything from the Black Ops version. However, on the W@W version, due to the 24-zombies-per-round spawning in solo play, I learned the effectiveness of using a 'rinse and repeat' type strategy.

Der Riese

The W@W version of this map helped me even further with running full map loops. The Black Ops version also aided my kiting abilites and taught me how to kite in really small areas.

So, there's where all of my zombies skills come from.

Post your experiences so far, and those still learning take note of what you can learn from playing each map ;)

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I'll give it a shot!

World At War Maps

Nacht Der Untoten

Nacht Der untoten taught me the basics of zombies of course! In it I learned to stay moving, until you got the big guns, and then you should camp. I also fell in love with the Trench Gun here, and learned the importance of headshots from the Kar98K

Verruckt

This map taught me the wonders of betties and perks! I still camped at this point in time, but I learned to be more effective and efficient with my ammo. It also added a need for communication that Nacht really didn't.

Shi no Numa

To be honest I did not really play this map that much, I did learn the beauty of the WW and how to deal with dogs I suppose, but there were not really any fundamental skills here.

Der Riese

First map I ever started running on using the teleporter strategy. First map I began to take interest in the easter eggs, and the first map in which I learned that SMG's get a lot more points than shotguns. Betties were a complete necessity to me in this map, I usually would not go grab jug unless I had enough money to buy betties too. I suppose I also learned quite quickly that PaP'ing can wait and is not really necessary until the later rounds.

Black Ops Maps

Kino Der Toten

This map was the end of my camping, as the latest I could camp here was 20 at most, this was the start of map running for me, and also introduced me to my first training spot, the stage. I ran the map more, but occasionally I did run a train. This map was the awakening of my zombie skills. Starting in Kino is where I began to notice how to get those extra few points to come out on top most of the time, I learned plenty of dodging techniques here too.

FIVE

This map I did not really play too much of, and actually I think I reverted to camping here, nothing new. I can run trains here, but I usually don't as my friends and I love just grabbing the bowie and knifing all the zombies trying to squeeze into the elevator. :lol:

Dead Ops Arcade

To be honest this map has actually taught me something! It has taught me to think quickly on my feet and to anticipate the zombies actions. True their actions are slightly different here, but it did transfer over in a way. No other map throws so many different things at you so quickly without any time to get used to it. You need to think quick to survive. Unless you're Fatal. He probably could play DoA half asleep. :lol:

Ascension

This map, hammered home the importance of communication, teamwork, kiting, and M&S for me. This was the first map I kited in small areas, the monkeys forced me to learn to communicate quite fast, and the abundance of doors and the necessity of which ones to open also required teamwork. I also massively improved my usage of the Thunder Gun here.

Call of the Dead

I actually do not know what this map taught me other than, practice makes perfect. I am by no means perfect, but for the longest time I hadn't even been to half of the map, so I played solo, and I eventually worked out a system to get myself to explore the whole place, and I found several nice running locations.

Shangri-La

Well this map taught me nothing really, I still fail here :lol: I have much to learn from this place.

Moon

My kiting techniques were improved here, otherwise to be honest I think by this point I did not learn much from moon, other than Moon specific stuff.

Black Ops: Classic Maps

Nacht Der Untoten

I learned how difficult zombies has gotten since the old Nacht AI and since the introduction of Juggernog. I did not learn too much other than Jug is really important, however I think it has somewhat improved my survival capabilities without Jug.

Verruckt

I did not learn much from the Black ops version, but I did apply my kiting and looping techniques and found the map is a lot easier now.

Shi no Numa

More kiting being applied here. Not really anything new to learn from the black ops version.

Der Riese

Kiting in small areas became easier with this map, first map I used M&S in that didn't have flopper.

No Mans Land

This game mode has taught me a lot. It started my loving of M&S to a whole new level, it increased my grenade accuracy, taught me how to maximize points yet still keep a game moving quickly, and of course I have become an excellent kite runner from this mode. I am sure I am not the best. Or even close, but I think when you can handle somewhere between 18-24 zombies swarming at you in the PM63 room on Kino you can say you have good enough skills to adapt them to aid your survival. I can kite in a lot of really small areas, and have become quite efficient at the advanced kiting techniques all because of No Mans Land.

I think overall Kino, and No mans land have taught me the most out of any of the maps. Coincidentally those are two maps that I really want to go play right now ;) Too bad I can't.

Nacht Der Untoten

Basics of cod zombie playing. Also i learned to always leave crawler and repair ALL windows :D

+ I learned to LOVE KAR98K! (My fav weapon [takes skills to use])

+ Learned to Watch my back (Rule #1 in call of duty zombies)

Verruct

Learned to fear fast zombies.. Also made my self feel lucky, because i have electricity when i wake up.

Shi No Numa

Learned that dogs can be zombified too xD Also started the feeling: "every time lightning hits IRL, i wait for flaming dog coming from forest

Der Riese

Learned the "Bad ass"(yeah, that's what i call it) Strategy, Walk slowly to teleporter, hip-fireing zombies behind me -> teleport -> zombies run to you in strafe line -> shoot'em all -> repeat.

Also started investigating the story behind the radios 8-)

Don't have Bo, Sry

Well... i think that was it... short answers make it easier to read :)

Alright this sound like it should be fun.

Nacht: Showed me how much I sucked at zombies, having never played a FPS before.

Kino and FIVE: Here is where my journey really began. I learned the basics of zombies, how to survive on my own, and to work as a team. These maps taught me how to camp effeciently to get far and make the rounds go by quickly.

Ascension: Where my love for zombies truly began, so many awesome aspects I began to enjoy. I first learned how to kite here when I was the last alive. I started running around at flopper waiting for the lander, and was doing great. I realized you didn't have to camp in one spot to survive, there are alternatives.

CotD: I was really excited for this map, but was bummed when my friends didn't like it. The pretty monotone color scheme also turned me off a bit. What I learned was to not go for points. I spent an entire game to round 27 killing with them mp40, so the game lasted at least 4 hours. Speed>Score.

Shangri-La: Easter eggs SUCK. After spending 3 or 4 hours just trying to finish the Easter Egg was a nightmare. I want things to go quickly and smoothly. I liked the CotD Easter Egg because I could do the entire thing by myself, midround. I also learned that randoms are usually stubborn and unreliable.

Moon: Didn't play it that much, so didn't learn anything.

Verruckt: Taught me how to operate in tight spaces and to be aware of everything going on around me.

Der-Riese: Mule kick+Awful Lawton+Krauss Refribillator+Wunderwaffe=Epic Win (Also us losing if I go down :lol: )

Dead Ops: Taught me so many things about zombies. The overhead view shows you exactly how they are programmed. I learned all my advanced kiting techniques from playing Dead Ops. I learned to focus big time, because 1 hit and you die. I learned that being host actually matters. I learned that there is always more to learn and room to improve. I used to think I was awesome with my round 34, and now look where I am now. ;)

World At War:

Nacht Der Untoten: Introduced me to Zombies. I learned the basics. Wall guns, Maximizing points, Camping, Mystery Box, etc.

Der Riese: This was the map I played Second. At first, all I did was camp. But after 2-3 games I started to move around more. Never thought to do any sort of circle or anything, just ran around and teleported. I died a lot. After many more games I started to get it down, and over time I became really good at Zombies. I still didnt do circles though. I still dont, usually.

Verruckt+ShiNoNuma: I played these maps after Der Riese, so I didnt really like them on WaW. They seemed too easy.

Nacht Der Untoten Revisited: This is where I started to learn the whole circle thing. My entire outlook on this map (WaW) changed after that, and I never really played it again. I threw this into the same category I tossed Verruckt and Shi No Numa into.

Black Ops:

KIno Der Toten: I began with circles on this level. The first time I played it, I saw the stage and IMMEDIATELY started to loop it. By the 10th game or so, I got bored of it and just started to run around, as I had been adapted to on Der Reise. MUCH MUCH MUCH easier to do so with the Black Ops AI.

Five: At first I didnt like FIVE, because it appeared to me at first that the only way to stay alive was either to camp (Hate camping) or running around in circles in the War Room (Hate circles...) But then I found out you can jump through the Windows in the Basement. Doing this got me a lot better at split second decisions and analyzing how the zombies will react to my movements in a tight area.

Ascension: It was TOO easy. I felt I could basicly run around anywhere with little to no worry at all, Especially after playing FIVE so much. It also made Mustang and Sally a cheap weapon, with the introduction of Flopper. I liked it at first, because it was a great safety net, but after a while it felt like the weapon wasnt balanced at all, until atleast round 40. The open areas were way too overpowered for circles, and the hallways were way too open, making dodging not even a challenge.

Call Of the Dead: This level made my incoming dodging a little better. With all the tight places that you have to run through, I was glad I had a lot of experience in this already. This map increased my relience on Wall Guns, as there was no reason I really wanted to hit the Box in this map, since the WonderWeapons were lame, and there were no "Distraction" grenades. The only thing I ever used the box for was the chance of getting a Ray GUn.

Shangri La: This level sort of felt like a breath of fresh air from the wide open maps we were being given. This map was almost all close quarters and had very few spots for circles. I liked it. It appealed to my love for fast paced Zombie gameplay. Didnt learn much here, except that no matter how good you are, stupid little gimmicks can kill you every time.

No Man's Land: Did not learn anything here.

Moon: As hard as I try, I cant think of anything for moon either... I guess if anything, I learned on Moon just how little I actually need Quick Revive in Solo. This was the first map where I could get rid of it, and the first map I ever didnt use it.

Classic Maps: REturning to the roots. With some upgrades. I liked it. It put a new spin on the old stuff. I never played Verruckt or Shi No Numa much, so it was nice to have a driving force to play them again. A lot more fun with the Black Ops Engine. Der Riese seemed a lot easier though. I could run around in places that I never thought I could before. Didnt actually "LEARN" anything from them though. Nothing I hadnt learned from previous experience with the BO Engine.