Night of the Undead (ZotD's Zombie story)

Chapter 7: A final goodbye

The still of the night was again back, but much had changed. John had dragged his friend into the main room. He couldn’t get over it. His best friend, gone. He didn’t even try looking for the others.

Dempsey ran downstairs. He had seen quite a bit of action on the second floor as well, so much that both of his weapons were completely empty. He had heard plenty of commotion on the first floor, more than just zombies. When the last one fell, he immediately dropped what he was doing to check on his fellow marines

He walked toward the help door, seeing a large pile of zombies, and investigated. That’s when he noticed John, slouched over Smokey.

“John… what happened here soldier? To Smokey, and to the others as well? Where did they go?” John shook his head to the question of where the others were.

“I have no clue,” he said shakily. Dempsey noticed that John was barely holding together. Tears were pouring down the soldiers eyes. Dempsey looked down towards Smokey, and closed his eyes. He would miss the brave, if a little arrogant, man.

Footsteps from behind. Dempsey turned his head around, and there was Sanders, a little bloody, but alright. He was holding up Chuck, who did not look well. Tank got up, and ran to help.

“What happened here, Sergeant?” Tank asked. Chuck appeared to be bleeding on his left arm.

“John ran into the help room, I guess to get the Panzerschrek or whatever Smokey had. I think, anyways,” Sanders explained. He paused, and all of them looked towards John. John nodded.

“Alright then, so john ran in there, and we were pretty much overwhelmed. I had my MG, but Chuck here only had his Magnum. I told him to follow me to make a move out the window. So we went to the nearest one, but the “Help” door over here,” Sanders said, again pausing to check on Chuck.”

“You know, we should really lay him down,” he said. Dempsey nodded. He took one of the satchels that chuck was carrying for the marines, and then took out a blanket to lay him on, and a second folded for him to use as a pillow.

“Alright, lets continue then, shall we?” David nodded. They both stood up.

“So, I went to the window and hopped out, with Chuck not far. We were rushing, by the way. There were like a thousand zombies behind us. Unfortunately, Chuck must not have been fast enough. One got a hold of him,” David paused yet again, taking a deep breath.

“Fucking monsters. I tried pulling him back. Well, the zombies did not like that one bit. The one that was holding him opened his big, fat, ugly, decayed mouth and bit our poor friend here. He… he screamed. I think that was when John came back out with the Panzerschrek over there. Once he used it, in the confusion I killed the Nazi, and we ran,” he said, finished.

“I don’t think he passed out from loss of blood, more likely shock,” said Dempsey. “We ought to grab Smokey’s body. Come now.” They walked over to John and Smokey, and, with John’s approval, they moved Smokey over by Chuck. They put him down carefully. Sanders put his hand on his chest to check for a heartbeat.

“He’s… oh my god. He’s alive! My god, it’s a miracle!” Sanders shouted. John’s dread faded away, but he was shocked.

“What… My best friend… he’s alive?” timely enough, Smokey began to stir.

“Oh god, that is the last time I ever fire that Ray Gun close range again. That was horrendous,” Smokey said, a little groggily. He barely noticed the smiling going on around him.

“FUCK! My sunglasses are broken! Okay, now these zombies are gonna pay. Where are they, exactly?” he asked. The others just laughed. Close to death, and all he cares about are his sunglasses. What a friend we have here! thought Sanders.

“Well, John saw you lying on the ground, thought you were dead, turning into a rage montster, took your Panzerschrek, and blew all of them to hell,” replied Dempsey. Smokey stared in disbelief.

“What? You’re my best friend!” John announced.

“Okay, I’d hate to interrupt this, but Chuck isn’t looking so good here. We don’t have any medical supplies, the most I could do was bandage his arm,” Sanders said to the others. “So, where can we get supplies?”

“Of course… the plane!” said Dempsey.

“Didn’t we get all we could from there?”

“No, because we didn’t have time. Somewhere in there is a medical bag with syrettes we can use to numb the pain, and other supplies. So, who wants to go get them?” Dempsey asked.

“I’ll go, seeing as I’ve got the most ammo out of all of us,” replied Sanders. “I think John should come with, but we may need your Ray Gun, Smokey.” Smokey nodded, and John agreed to the volunteer.

“Good luck finding the Ray Gun under all of that zombie shit. Oh, but here’s all the rounds I’ve got,” Smokey added. John held his hand out as Smokey shuffled through his pockets, and gave him all the rounds.

“Do not shoot it point blank, you WILL be sorry,” he added in. Sanders and John walked back toward the help room.

“So many limbs, so little time,” Sanders said. He lifted up a few arms, and found the Ray Gun pretty quickly.

“Okay, it’s yours man. Just remember not to shoot it too close,” he told John. They walked up the stairs.

“You know, when we were fighting I could have sworn I heard some sort of music,” Sanders remembered.

“Yeah… yeah, when I got the Panzerschrek I heard the same thing. It just sounded so… hopeless. What could it have been?” John though. As they walked towards the window closest to the plane, they put their heads together.

“Hm… Oh man, I remember! There was a radio. It was on a table right next to the box! Jesus, I wish I remembered. Okay, when we get back, we can use that to call for help, right?” Sanders wasn’t sure. He shrugged, and they moved on.

“Okay, here we are. Out we go, my friend.” They climbed out the window to see the massive wreck. It was still on fire. Even their pilot was still there. Poor guy.

“I feel so bad we left him behind,” John said. “There was nothing we could do, though.” Sanders nodded. They both continued.

“Okay, so it’s somewhere around this wreckage, correct? Well, this may take awhile.” Outside proved fruitless for the two. After twenty minutes, they decided the supplies could only be inside.

The quickest way was by the pilot. They climbed aboard the plane’s cockpit in the wreckage. There wasn’t much to salvage there, that was for sure. Fortunately, there was an emergency first aid kit. They grabbed that, and began to head out.

John jumped first, no issue for him. But something seemed odd. He turned around, looking at Sanders, who was ready to jump. The pilot… whatever it was, the pilot scared him.

“Sanders, COME ON!” he shouted.

“Keep it down, you’ll attract the..” he began. The pilot grabbed his arm hungrily. Whatever humanity that had been in his eyes was gone, all that was left was evil, unknown to the Americans.

“FUCKIN-A! The pilot’s one of them!” Sanders screamed. “Get him off me!” He jumped off the plane, breaking off the pilots legs, and causing his grip to be lost.

“Shit, shit, shit!” Sanders cried as he ran toward John. “Shoot him!” John brought up the gun, and shot. He was no more.

“Well, they certainly take forever,” Dempsey said impatiently. The sound of boots echoed down the staircase, and out of the Help room came John and David, with medical supplies.

“Saweet! Lets get this to our medic.” Dempsey took out one of the many syrettes. Where the wound was, he injected morphine. Chuck sprang to life in an instant after that.

“Good, he’s alright. Now, my friends, before I begin, I must say… Chuck isn’t going to last,” Sanders said. He wasn’t happy about it, but he knew that the zombies could turn other people into zombies. He quickly explained his theory to the others.

“SHIT,” said Smokey. “So he’s just going to die, anyways?”

“Afraid so, or most likely anyways. The pilot was torn to shreds, so it could just be if he died he turns into one, but I don’t know. I have a bad feeling. It seems these days my bad feelings are usually right,” Sanders replied.

“One more thing, we found a radio in the other room. Come with us, we might be able to contact a rescue!” John added. And so, all five marines went into the help room.

Static, then music. The same both Sanders and John heard. They flipped through, until they didn’t hear music. Instead, they heard a message.

In a thick, Russian accent, they heard, “It is over. Whatever this is, it’s the Nazi’s fault. They trapped us here. Three of my men are gone, killed by the dead. I am all that is left. Now, I am sending this into English, because I know they will try a second test, on Americans in particular. Please, listen to me: Get out of here. The Germans have abandoned this area, and there are several Trucks. Inside there are keys, but you’ll have to find them.”

After a quick pause, the Russian continues, “Okay, I hope you appreciate my sacrifice, comrades. Do not let the dead bite you, or it will all be over. I.. I am dead now, because of this… this curse. I hope this does not happen to you.”

He starts to cry, “Goodbye… comrades.” The transmission ends.

David could not say anything. He was sad, about the revelation of their new savior’s death, and that Chuck was to be next. All was quiet.

Chuck clenched his fists. “What are you all waiting for?" the marines all turned to look at him. He shoots an angered, but brave face. "Go."

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I wish the post's format looked as good as the word format... but I digress! This is my second to last Nacht Der Untoten chapter, but not the last of my zombies stories. So, you choose, do I do Takeo's story, or Verruckt next? I'll make an entirely new topic for my next one.

Also, I forgot to add that the chapter before this one, the big battle, well I pretty much based it upon the Nacht der Untoten trailer :lol:

Sucks for Chuck....

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And now, to commemorate my Birthday, I bring you the end to the Night of the Undead!

Chapter 8: Undone

They all stared at their medic, quiet, in huge disbelief of what he had just said. Chuck’s head was down. Clearly, he was holding back tears. He wasn’t ready to die.

“It… it doesn’t matter anymore, I’m done,” he forced out. “I’m… DEAD,” he finished, falling to his knees. He stopped holding the tears back, and cried. No one… deserves this, thought Sanders, Least of all Chuck. He was with us every step if the way.

“You aren’t dead yet, my friend,” Tank said to Chuck, compassionate as he could be. “You’re still one of my men, one way or the other. I can’t in good conscious just leave you here to die.” Sanders, John, and Smokey, though not saying it, entirely agreed. It wasn’t so simple leaving a friend behind, even if he truly is doomed to die.

“No… no…,” Chuck began, wiping away his tears and getting his act together. “You can’t take me. You guys… you’re my best friends. If it wasn’t for you guys, I’d be dead. I owe you guys time. All the time I have left.”

John clenched his fists. As much as he hated to admit it, time was what they needed to get out of the bunker. The only thing that stopped them from leaving was fear. Now, the only thing preventing them from leaving was the undead. There were now too many to face.

“Chuck…,” John began slowly. “It’s been an honor serving with you.” He gave him a salute. The other marines stared at him questioningly.

“Normally I would never agree with this, but with what little time he has, and what little time we could have to get into the truck, a distraction might be our only way,” Chuck explained. Despite the fact that Dempsey hated the idea, he agreed, because it was their only hope.

“All right. I’d hate to ever leave a man behind. We have few options, and if Chuck truly wants to stay here…”

“I don’t, but I know I must if you are to survive”

“…then his wish will be kept. It was truly an honor, soldier.” Dempsey raised his arm into a salute, as the others followed. “Chuck… you truly are a brave marine. We won’t forget you. The country won’t forget you. I’ll make sure of it.”

Chuck smiled, but sadly. A tear slid down his face. He wasn’t ready to die, but he was glad to help his friends.

“Hey, Chuck!” John said loudly. “If you’re going to fight them on your own… you’ll need some help with that.” John handed to Chuck the Ray Gun that had initially been Smokey’s.

“You may die anyways… but hey, you can’t let those maggots get the best of ya!” John added. He held out his hand. Chuck shook it, as a sign of long friendship.

“Gonna miss ya, buddy. Oh, and Smokey will, too! If he didn’t, you wouldn’t have that.” Smokey nodded, and waved. He was still a little weak from the Ray Gun blast.

“You might need this,” David added. He gave to him his MG42. “Got a few clips left. Figure you can’t rely on that Spaceman gun all the time.”

“Aint that the truth!” Smokey added. The rest of them just laughed.

“Okay, seriously you all, you need to leave. There’s no telling when they…,” Began Chuck. On cue, the moaning and screaming began. Louder than drums, it became increasingly louder.

“RUN!” Chuck shouted to the others. They broke down the sandbags and boards from the window near the help room, and bolted. Chuck ran upstairs to defend and goad the zombies toward him. “IS ANYBODY HUNGRY?” he shouted. Some of them heard the yelling, and turned towards him instead. He smiled.

Unfortunately for the others, four of the five trucks had been destroyed. One remained, ironically the furthest from the Bunker. Only Dempsey had a loaded weapon, and fought some as they ran. A bullet to the brain whenever one crossed their path.

They made it. Eagerly, Smokey got in the left seat, and discovered that European cars have the steering wheel on the other side. “Damn,” he whispered. John went through to the driver’s side, remembering the fact.

“Okay. Keys, keys, keys?” he said vigorously. John and Smokey searched the place while the others fought.

Sanders was unarmed. Dempsey threw him his trench gun, which had no ammo at all to begin with. Fabulous, Dempsey. It’s just about as useful as a hunk of metal. He held it by the barrel. The first zombie that came he smacked in the head, breaking the brain.

Dempsey was on the back part of the truck, holding up his BAR. Ah, shit, only two clips left? He reloaded, and shot a zombie square in the face. The bullet went through, and killed a second behind the first. Gonna have to use precision… he thought.

“Keys, keys, keys. Where are the damn keys?” John wondered. “We’ve looked everywhere! Where could they…”he stopped. He smacked himself in the face.

“Can it get more obvious that than?” he said to Smokey. The keys were already in. “Damn,” John finished. He turned the keys, and the engine started.

Dempsey shot again, precise as he could. He took out as many as he could with one shot. Even then, his ammo was minimal. No… one clip left. 1000 zombies? God, we are screwed. Just then, he heard a yell of relief, and the sound of an engine.

“We found it!” John yelled excitedly. “Hop on back!” he yelled to Sanders and Dempsey. Sanders got on, but Dempsey waited a second.

“Hold it, I know the directions, you don’t know shit. I’m driving,” Dempsey asserted. John sighed. He got out of the car, and hopped on back, Dempsey got in and slammed the door.

“It’s go time,” he finished. They sped away, heading toward their original objective.

Chuck watched as his friends sped away. He was sad, but at the same time filled with joy that he helped his friends survive. He turned away from the balcony, and rained hell on the undead. Most had come to him, and he only had a clip of the MG42 left. Aiming towards the head, he sprayed lead while moving back towards the door.

The dent in zombies replenished as soon as it was taken down. Arms held up, they ran towards him, ignoring previous injuries.

As the last bullet pierced their heads, he threw the MG at the horde, and pulled out his Ray Gun. He shot, barely noticing the recoil. It took out chucks of the horde. He threw off his helmet, and continued, blowing apart zombies bit by bit with green flashes of doom.

He felt on his shoulder a tugging feeling, and looked back. The zombie there then bit into his neck. Chuck screamed, but batted it off, and finished it. Blood was pouring down his neck.

“Fuck, now I’m dying even faster!” he shouted. Pulling up his Ray Gun, he continued. He shot at the horde, and ran back downstairs into the help room. He blasted up the stairs. The waves were endless.

Music. He heard music. Music of… a last stand. He felt undone. With the last bullet of his Ray Gun, he blasted. This time he heard another noise, more like sparkling, and a greenish glow coming from the zombie he killed last. He dropped the ray gun, and ran towards the light.

With the oncoming zombies, he rushed through the horde, getting torn up bit by bit. It was only a bit further. Chuck reached out, and touched the light.

Kaboom

The sound echoed. A mushroom cloud rose out of the place where the light had been. The zombies were dead. Finished. The night returned to its stillness.

Chuck was weak. He was getting weaker by the moment. He crawled towards the dropped M1911. He inched and pulled the weapon to himself.

“So…,” he began. “It truly does end with a bang. I hope I helped you… My friends.” He brought the pistol up to his head, and fired.

The silence of the night continued on, and the plague was finished.

So that ends it! Figured I'd get this done for my birthday. Can't say Chuck's final battle was the best writing, but it will do.

Total pages (on word): 24

Total words: 9,526

I think I'll finish off the marine's story before going to Takeo, so Verruckt is next! Wait for it in the coming days/ at most week.

Ah, well that was fun. Continue commenting on this if you like it. Thanks for all the feedback and everything! Glad you guys enjoyed it.

I be glad that everyone's liking my story. One day, I'll edit these so that the format is better and such. Does that require it to be approved again, by the way?

This was a really great story ZOTD, I commemorate you as a fellow writer and zombie lover. This story was not only gorey and action filled, it was a story of friendship and loyalty and sacrifice, as well you introduced some cool concepts and ideas.

Very well done, looking forwards to your next one :D

Thank you very much, my good sir.

wow......

Fantastic ending ZOTD

I don't know if my experiment will work with the background music but when I used a song in the background I practically broke down lol it was that dramatic.

this song will be perfect for Chapter 15 Part 3 8-)

Which song might that be?

The songs in my story directly referred to are Reznov (from the WaW soundtrack) in chapter 6, and undone in the last one.

Also, thanks much :D

Read this Whole story word for word, LOVED it!

Can't wait to see Verruckt!

Chuck's final stand was awesome, loved how you used the Nuke to end it as well, great story!!!

Glad you liked it!

I think I got the idea of ending it like that from one of Faust's stories, but I ended it slightly differently.