Dr. Richtofen: How I learned to stop worrying and <3 thief

aegisknight

I hear many people complain about how the Thief is the most annoying "boss" character, almost universally reviled.

Well, I'm here to tell you to worry not and love the man! Think about it: the round is a pure break. You don't have to do anything, just sacrifice one gun. And you get a max ammo for your efforts!

Sure, in the past this would be annoying because you'd lose one of your super awesome box weapons that you can't just go out and get again, but with the addition of Mule Kick on every map, this is no longer a concern. Now, pick up mule kick and keep your two kick-ass weapons, then fill the last slot with a wall weapon. Pack a punch it even, its all good!

Then when the thief comes, just run around the War Room flipping the switches for pack a punch, let the thief take your 3rd wall weapon, then politely ignore him. He will run around in circles in the basement while you calmly pick up your wall weapon again, pack a punch it if you're feeling so inclined, then grab your max ammo.

Nobody to kill, no damage done, everybody's happy! Its a free round that you can't die in unless you kill yourself, a welcome breather not found anywhere else except Dead Ops.

Love the thief! He is your friend!

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or do what I do - have 2 or 3 players with M&S in their arsenal and use it to take out the thief each time. If done properly you can drop Bonfire Sales pretty consistently.

These rounds are actually a joke in solo if you have the M&S, as long as you save ammo for it there's no reason why he should ever take your gun. Unless, like me, in the early stages of the game you purposely let him take a gun before you kill him to get a Firesale rather than a Bonfire Sale.

Interesting, I am assuming this is only for Solo, otherwise every player has to sacrifice one gun. Which in theory could work, but would take quite some time. Killing him with the ray gun or freeze gun would be a lot faster and more efficient in my opinion.

nope, for multi. Taking time doesn't matter, since mis-stepping can cost you big time.

Yes, the Mustang and Sally can work wonders for this map, but really why bother? You can't use them like you can in other maps to clear paths because there is no flopper, so you are holding them just for the thief round. If you hold onto a wall gun, even pack a punched, you have a gun that you can willingly just let go, and something actually useful during the regular rounds.

I keep a wall gun as my third gun anyway so I don't have a real loss if I end up going down.

they can be used to kill, but they can't be used in their "normal" capacity as a clearing weapon for running trains. If the Mustang and Sally are in a player's normal arsenal, then sure using them to knock off the Thief too is a bonus use.

I meant this tidbit more for the players that keep them as a substitute of a wunder weapon

Well I also tend to use a few clips of M&S ammo taking out waves of zombies to speed up the rounds. In fact, I tend to go through round 10-20 just gathering up hordes and taking them out with the M&S, of course saving a couple of clips for the thief and using my third gun (wall gun or MG, Ray Gun at later stages) to take out the rest. If you have Mule Kick then it's definately worth having, in fact I'd take the M&S over most of the guns in the box on FIVE because of their sheer wave-clearing ability. Sure, they won't path-clear, but that's why you have an Awful Lawton or Winter's in your second slot. Third slot is always reserved for a general killing/point-building weapon. Similar reasons to why I also use the M&S in solo Der Riese gameplay, great for taking out those annoying clumps of Hellhounds.

Did you not read the post that I linked you to? They can be of even more use in Multiplayer than in solo, even when you are not in the war room. They can be good for camping in the PaP room, elevators, and running in other places. Remember that you can still shoot the ground a couple of times without dying to clear a path.

They are actually more useful in co-op because your Mustang and Sally shots do not damage your teammates. What does this mean? Whenever they're in trouble near you, they can call out and you can shoot your pistols all around them, clearing their zombies, getting kills and saving their life.

The same goes for you.

then this would be more of a solo strategy, no? If you're in multiplayer and one of the many not running the war room, then the MS's utility would be greatly diminished either way
...unless you use a good strategy. Also written in my 3-4 player co-op guide for FIVE, the best strategy is to have one person running out in the War Room and the rest camping in the PaP room, of course the War Room runner easing a lot of pressure off of the guys camping. If you have one person watching the doors, this person can use some M&S ammo to help take out the waves in the War Room to help speed the rounds along. The players can then swap window or door watching duties so everyone has their turn at it. Not to mention the Mustang & Sally will make light work of taking out a group coming through the windows if a player gets overrun as their window. If the zombies start coming in, just run over to the other side of the room and blast.

Also, if you're the type of players that like to camp in elevators, you can have a 'sacraficial lamb' player who holds on to the M&S. If you get overrun in the elevators this player can blast away with the M&S - sure, he'll go down, but even after going down he'll still be able to shoot it and will have essentially just taken a down to save the rest of his team's lives.

So yeah, as I said, well worth having.

I guess it really depends on whether or not you like M&S and if you really feel like needing a break. A round of the thief running random circles in the basement while you grab a snack or something would be nice. You should time how long the round will last in Solo, and then with 2, 3 and 4 people. It will be variable. But not by much, as I am sure the thief runs a set time before attacking the next player, and then a set time after attacking the last before he vaporizes. It wont be a "nap" break, but could potentially be a nice bathroom break. You could rock Ray, and M&S and the Olympia and just sit with the Olympia out during thief rounds and grab a snack, use the bathroom, etc..

I always did a Claymore Pit. NO need for Mustang and Sally, Absolutely no gun lost, the round will only take like 5 seconds.

I can see where people WILL disagree with this. I only do it because I run the Basement, probobly one of the only places where you can actually have a Claymore pit.

JUst letting him take the gun and get away is the Lazy way of dealing with a thief round.

Run him down and Kill: Slowest, possibly hardest way.

Claymore Pit: In my experience the fastest+easiest way.

Mustang and Sally: The easiest, but not fastest way. Takes up a Gun Slot if you dont want M&S.

Ray Gun/Winter's Howl: Same as above. Slightly slower.

Let him go: Very easy, but lazy. No effort at all.

But to each their own. Its all perference really. With Mule Kick, I like to have 3 box guns until I run out of ammo for all 3, so I try not to lose any of them.