Revisiting Beauty of Annihilation - an analysis

Lioss10

Hi.

This is not the same as previous posts! I repeat, this is not the same as previous posts!

I severed my ties with @The Meh *shock face*

I checked his breakdown, along with other sources, and I believe that his approach was wrong. The song talks about the four characters (Ultimis), not about Samantha.

The sources I used are as follow: This for what's in bold, while the rest is from this video. The lyrics are in quotations.

Let's go!

--------------------------------------------------------------

"All my atrocities
Come by way of reciprocity"

This talks about Dempsey and how all the terrible things he did in the war was justifed by good intentions I guess...

"I'm chewing the bones of my own reprieve"
Dr. Richtofen helped create the zombies and now he is fighting and killing his creations.

"Death be my dignity
Execute hemlock philosophy"

This is talking about Takeo, and that the Japanese would kill themselfs with hemlock, a poison, rather than get captured by the enemy.

"Poison fills the cup of the carpenter"

Nikolai was once a carpenter as he said in his quotes in Kino Der Toten and 'the posion fills the cup' refers to vodka he drinks.

Both the website and the video bring the same point, and I agree with them.

"No! Love lost on me"

The characters are not on good terms with each other and have no emotional link with each other. There is no friendship between them

"More! Life so costly"
In order to survive they must buy weapons, doors and perks which cost points OR in order to survive they must take the lives of others (the zombies).

Simple. No comments.

"No reason
For grieving"

Shows all the character’s sadistic love for killing zombies and they think of the zombies taking over as an opportunity.

This portraits Ultimis perfectly, I want to add that they also might not grieve the others since there is no reason, they are not friends.

"Bring me down with
Seven point six two high velocity"

Caliver of bullet, the characters are mocking the zombies saying how a bullet can bring them down but the zombies can’t.

Interesting. No comment.

"I can see them everywhere
They're all around me
They're Waiting for me."

Pretty obvious – The zombies are everywhere, surrounding the characters and waiting for them.

"Descending
Unrelenting"

Shows the zombies strength, stamina and lack of mercy.

"Beauty of annihilation.
"

No comment.

"Your curiosity
Feeding off my animosity"

The characters actions are a result of their hostility towards the zombies and even each other.

"And reason
Is treason"

There is no justification for their actions and the characters are constantly antagonising each other as they fight for different causes.

Maybe this is about Richtofen?

If the others are curious about what they are doing and why are they going to places, he considers this treason which angers him more? This point is not clear, but this is how I see it.

"Down! With all that's good and clean and you can't fucking annihilate me!"

The characters basically saying ‘screw the rules’ and that they prefer the world in chaos.

"Bring you down with
Seven point nine two and no impunity!"

Another calibre of bullet; except this time it’s for the zombies and also shows Richtofen facing what he’s created.

No comment.

"Death so beautiful
Looks so beautiful
Death so beautiful
Looks so beautiful on me"

Richtofen and possibly the other characters expressing their obsession with death and killing.

What I think is weird is the last part. Is someone from the crew wants to die? Or do they mean the death of zombies looks beautiful on them? I believe in the latter, but the wording is strange...

"Looks like your prophet was mistaken"

Possibly about the world ending in 2012 as it’s come much sooner? May also be about Richtofen leading them to der Riese.

"Is life really gone or just been wasted"

Represents them getting overwhelmed and thinking that everything they’ve done has been for nothing.

"Death so close that I can taste it!"

They’re so close to dying in their attempt at survival, possible means that at the end of every game they always die?

The first line reminds me SO MUCH of Victis and how Stulingher is their “prophet”.

But that would not go with the theme, it could be that Richtofen is the prophet from “the voices inside his head”, and he brought them to their doom? Remember the previous quote. Even if that was the case, who is talking? They are saying "your prophet", like someone who isn't associated with him. It is something that Dempsy could say if they were shoved into a corner or something.

I (and others) thought that Samantha might have some lines, sort of like a debate? But it would be out of place.

For the last line, it could mean their death or zombies death, although their death is more probable.

I would like to hear your thoughts down!

--------------------------------------------------------------

This is easily the hardest analysis between WaW songs. It is cryptic, and you might feel somewhat lost, but it was fun!

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

I'll be completely honest I like you doing this without comparing to @The Meh, it gives your post more individuality but if you have points that agree with them you could reference them later on (I assume you'd be making more of these yes?) to respect the inspiration. As for the post itself, I agree with most except for hemlock philosophy which I believe is meant to point more to the cyanide capsules the Germans used, which would fit moreso in the setting but still an excellent find nonetheless!

3 minutes ago, clueless said:

that agree with them you could reference them later on

You mean with The Meh? Yeah of course, but sadly he missed the shot on this one.

4 minutes ago, clueless said:

I believe is meant to point more to the cyanide capsules the Germans used, which would fit moreso in the setting but still an excellent find nonetheless!

I believed the main takeaway is the Takeo reference. I don't know a lot about poisons or who used what, but found the idea that each line(s) represent a character is brilliant.

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Lioss10 said:

You mean with The Meh? Yeah of course, but sadly he missed the shot on this one.

I believed the main takeaway is the Takeo reference. I don't know a lot about poisons or who used what, but found the idea that each line(s) represent a character is brilliant.

Yeah I saw that, I meant for future ones when your opinions are closer together lol

And yeah that is clever how each line represents one of the four

19 hours ago, Lioss10 said:

Execute hemlock philosophy"

This is talking about Takeo, and that the Japanese would kill themselfs with hemlock, a poison, rather than get captured by the enemy.

"Poison fills the cup of the carpenter"

Nikolai was once a carpenter as he said in his quotes in Kino Der Toten and 'the posion fills the cup' refers to vodka he drinks.

Both the website and the video bring the same point, and I agree with them.

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100705074441AAUjdDp

Richtofen PAPing in TG: This machine was built by a good man; a blacksmith in the Old West. I hope I can one day thank him.

Archived