Extinction - Is it worth buying?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all, welcome to the forum. 

Aaaand, you're in the wrong section, but I think the post will be moved.

IMO no, it's not worth buying, at least not right now. 

Extinction is pretty simple.

Million years ago, an explosion killed all the life on earth. But a specie called "cryptids" survived because they were living below the surface. 

Then, humans were born/created and started developing.

While that happened, the Cryptid Gods, the Ancesters, with their powers, began controlling specific humans for them to act as their eyes. With the Aliens underground, they could see everything that happened outside, waiting for the moment for them to take revenge because humans stole their world. 

They started building "Arks" all around the globe underground, these are big obelisk with chambers inside, in which the ancesters were cryogenicly frozen, and at the same time, controlling some humans. 

Thousand years passed, and one day, a soldier, David Archer, saw one Cryptid in a cave. Some months later, a satellite, ODIN, fired towards the earth and created holes that connected Cryptids Colonies with the surface. Then the first outbreak occurred in Colorado. 

A special team was sent to nuke the place. This is what happens in the first map/disk map: Point of contact.

David Archer, before this team destroyed the pace, made some research about this Cryptids and went down to their Colony to take some pictures and samples. He also got one Obelisk, which is a small tower with the Cryptids lenguage all over it.
He then hired a recognized woman who knows a lot about lenguages, Samantha Cross, for her to translate the Obelisk.

All this research was done in Alaska, this project was called Nightfall, which is the second map/first DLC.

When Samantha finished translating the Obelisk, the Ancesters chose her as her new puppet, and now, Samantha had "powers" that even she didn't know about. While being controlled by the Ancesters, Samantha controlled a scientist to free the Cryptids in the Nightfall Facility and cause a new outbreak.

After decoding it, she understood that David Archer was not a good man, and he didn't deserve that information, so she tried to kill herself, but Archer kidnapped her.
David made a deal with some chinese people, Archer would give them info about Cryptids and weaponry, and they'd give him a ship.
So Archer and Cross went into the ship, where they did mind experiments with Samantha.

After the outbreak, a new team was sent to the Nightfall Facility to capture Archer, but he escaped to the ship. The team killed the Breeder, which was a Cryptid Archer bred. 

After that comes Mayday, which is the second DLC, and it's pretty much the same.

They used a machine called Beacon Amplifier to increase Samantha's power and to get information about the Cryptids. 
But Samantha was so powerful, that even being trapped in that machine, she freed the Cryptids again.

Again, the Task Force was sent to the ship, but now with the objective of killing Cross.

They tried to kill her with gas while she was in the machine, but before she died, the Ancesters teleported her to an Ark. But everyone thought she was dead.

The team was then forced to fight with the Kraken, which is the enemy of Mayday.

After failing, the American Force made Archer an ally, instead of an enemy. With the objective of finding the Ark and a way to stop the Cryptid menace.

Then comes Awakening, which is the third DLC, this takes place underground, in a Cryptid Colony.
Archer is sent to look around the place, but he finds Samantha, who cuts his arm and makes a deal with him. She wanted to escape the island, but with her help, Archer and the team could reach the Ark safely.

When they were inside the Ark, Archer tried to kill Cross, but with her powers controls Archer and kills all his teammates and shoots himself in the leg.
Then Samantha escapes.

After Archer went dark, the team was sent to see what happened. 
When they entered the Ark, they saw Archer there, with the Cortex, which is a piece of an Ancester brain, which can be used as a weapon to kill the Cryptids.

Archer was paralyzed, he could not move. 
Samantha then gives the team instructions to use the Cortex and escape the island. Archer dies in the Ark.

The United States Force is now planning to completely nuke the earth so they kill every Cryptid around it. And that's what will happen in the fourth DLC.

If you read, thank you, lol.

But even if the story is not too bad, the gameplay is not too good.
It is fun at first, but after a few times, it becomes boring, at least for me.

Always the same, it is a linear mission, complete the objective and you are done. Doing the same, over and over again.

So, that's why I think it's not worth buying, without saying that MP kinda sucks in Ghosts and the campaign is pretty normal.

No, it's not worth it because I already bought ghosts and It's NOT fun. There are no FUN guns to use or combinations. Also, extinction is kind of like a serious version of zombies because it has very specific classes and it has like a weird money system and extra modes should be simpler like zombies and not complicated like extinction.

Extinction is definitely worth buying. Point of contact is like the beta of Extinction. Not all things are going to be in it. After point of contact extintion becomes very fun to play and gameplay is alot more hectic than zombies due to the diversity of the Cryptids. It's alot more fun than training zombies. I suggest you play it with friends for the best experience.

Edited by Black Hand Smith

Man I hope they never combine Extinction and Zs...I'll probably cry lol

I tried and tried to like Ghosts, or even Extinction but just couldn't enjoy it on the level zombies matches. I went into the game with the mindset that it's not going to be zombies, and it isn't, but I can safely say even if Zombies was never made, I'd still find this game not so fun.

Mostly for the reason you can beat it, Zombies is about getting farther than you did before, bettering yourself basically. Extinction is more like speedrunning a game you've played through your childhood, except it's a game that doesn't hold well the more you play.

On the plus side (because I know hard work went into the game) I am in love with the whole digging for items, and mid round challenges, freaking genius.

I simply couldn't make myself like the game, and eventually erased it from my hard drive and went back to black ops. My suggestion would be to rent it first, play a good 3 days and make your own conclusion. Most of us are telling you it isn't worth the money, but there are people out there that probably think it's the best game Activision has release so who knows you could be one of THOOOOSE guys lol

If you do end up buying ghosts don't buy the 3rd map pack because that extinction map "awakening" is really, really fruity in my opinion

Is the Buried of Extinction, mate.

There's always a black sheep in the group. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AGREED!!

For some reason that black sheep is always DLC 3…. 

-Shangri la

-buried

-awakening

(WAW didn't have 4 dlcs so it doesn't count) 

That's funny.....   I didn't even notice that!!!!

I actually do like extinction though...   POINT OF CONTACT was good....   NIGHTFALL was good......   MAYDAY was good......

AWAKENING= straight garbage....  

On the fence about buying the next ghosts DLC 

Edited by CBR_600_RR