Discouraged

Friday night, I decided it was time that I finally made it to round 100. I had been putting it off for a while, and wanted to get it done before Black Ops 2 came out. So I started a game on Ascension.

Today, I was on round 93. I was out of ammo with my Thundergun. I threw my Gersch devices, but they yielded nothing. The box was at the Sickle lander. I had run a train there successfully earlier while trying to spin the Thundergun, so naively thought I could do it again. One corner trap and two unsuccessful crossbow shots later, it was over.

It was a stupid mistake, of course. I should've just finished the round using the traps and hoped that the next round was monkeys. And even if I did want to spin the Thundergun, there were several things I could've done differently. Now, I would still be alive if that goddamn monkey hadn't stolen my Quick Revive back in the 30's... But I guess that was my fault too.

I still want to get to round 100 before Black Ops 2 comes out - I was actually going for my first step towards the triple crown - but this game has left me discouraged. I spread it out over three days, the total gameplay time must've added up to at least 15 hours. And it all ended in 3 seconds.

And the worst part is that it was on Ascension, the easiest map ever. I never wanna play on Ascension again, but if I couldn't do it on that map, what map could I do it on? Am I really just not that good?

Next weekend is Columbus Day weekend, and probably my last good chance to do a 100 game before Black Ops 2 comes out. I need to make my decision by Friday. What should I do?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

I would pick Moon,Shang or Kino.

I suggest that you pick Shang,since it is your favourite map...might as well do such a hard and annoying task on the map you enjoy the most. :)

But I totally get where you are coming from.

Going for such a goal and loosing it so close before you finnish it...ugh...

Happened to me on Shang,wanted to get to 50...died on 45.

Regardless of what you will be doing,I wish you succes.

Map choice:

Well, Kino is ok to do a 100 run. But Shang? Dude that map is way too difficult for the first 100 run. And Moon: Assuming Round 9x is monkeys on Ascension or Dogs on Kino, the round takes you 2min. On Moon and neither on Shang, there are no Boss rounds and it will take you "slightly" longer. So definitely, pick a map with bosses! It's amazing how much time you save due to boss rounds.

Ascension ist the fastest and easiest map for a 100. I'd recommend to catch the motivation back and try it again there. Just the experience you gained in that 93 run will help you soooo much

Midround Box Hit: A Yay on that for time reaons

I think it was the right decision to get a new T-Gun midround. Ye, you died, ok. But using traps is so damned slow, I'd never ever recommend that. you just lose too much time. I mean, you can do it in 15h with midround box hits, or you can do it in 20h with traps when your T-Gun is empty. Chose the 15h but be sure about what you do with those midround hits:

Midround Box Hit: Train it

The problem was as far as I can understand, that you were not aware of the danger of that box spot and that you overestimated yourself. So I'd recommend you, train recycling the T-Gun. You may go to round 20 or something to have all zombs running. Do your standart circle as your T-Gun would be full, but kill none. Then just imagine, that your T-Gun would be empty and that the Box would be at location xy and see how it goes, practice it. That way you'll notice quite fast what box spot is dangerous and why. You notice the corners that block you on these locations and so on. You'll also see, that the train might be easy to run once it's organized, but the first time you come there it might be super tricky since all zombies come one by one in a line and not as a bunch.

Midround Box Hit: Easy Locations

I think it is easy to run circles and continue with the full horde behind you at the following box locations:

Lander at stamin up

Lander at PHD

Lander at Start

Done - these are the only locations, where i go with a full train and spin the box while i have 24 zombones behind me.

Midround Box Hit: Difficult Locations

On the tricky locations, such as especially the Box between sickle and Power, and Power itself, I try to lead the train as far away as possible (e.g. Stamin Up Lander), and then just sprint to my box and hit it 2 - max 3 times, then rinse and repeat: Lead train back far away, go back to box and hit it 2-3 times again. Yeah, this procedure takes long, but is imho faster than using traps.

You could combine this with traps, so that when you are done leading your train to stamin, you can activate the trap when you run to the box - BUT I'm out of practice (last played seriously and actively 4 or 5 months ago) and I don't know atm if this is a good idea, since the respawners could mess everything up. So test this first. My feeling tells me that it would be not a good idea to run traps at the recycle-process.

So the point, at difficult box locations, just lead your train as far away as possible, hit the box 1-2-3 times and repeat. I guess these locations are as said power, between power and sickle and closest to pap (it would be easy to run a circle at pap but the time for one circle is not optimal and you may miss your gun, like in kino start).

Midround Box Hit: Locations which are mid-difficulty

The other locations, stamin up and sickle are as you experienced tricky. It IS possible to run a train, yes, but it is still dangerous. I would just say, that you need a prior practice of those circles, and especially how you go into that circle. I mean at the first turns, you have a quite mess of zombies, they are not so well organized on the first few turns. So just practice and be absolutely, 100% confident about these circles. If you aren't just do it as you do in the difficult circle. Concrete: As soon as the first zomb appears, abort your box hits, take the Sickle lander, lead em back to stamin, repeat.

Summary

So, got a long text again, but the point is:

-Practice these difficult box trains and how you go into them, be sure about yourself and if you can run such a train safely or not.

-Lead zombs far away and hit box only twice a turn if you are not self-confident.

The lack of QR

And now the major point: Make sure monks don't waste your QR's....... That can't be in a 100 run, it just can't be!! It also can't be that you die before a certain round, say before round 40. That is just shit for a 100 attempt and I'd recommend to restart then.

-Tom ;)

Thanks for all the advice Tom :) You'd be surprised at how many bulls**t box spawns I managed to hit. Power, Mule Kick, PaP, junkyard, and I DID successfully run the Sickle lander at one point and so that was why I was under the illusion that I could do it again.

I've been trying to think about what map to do this on, and I've come up with a few candidates:

Shi No Numa

Pros:

-Fairly simple train-and-trap strategy

-Wunderwaffe only used in emergencies

-Dog Rounds

Cons:

-No PaPing Wunderwaffe

-No Awful Lawton

-Swamp can be dangerous

-No way of getting Max Ammo except from dogs

Der Reise

Pros:

-Easy training spots

-LOTS of traps

-Awful Lawton

-Dog Rounds

Cons:

-Mid-round dogs

Kino Der Toten

Pros:

-VERY easy training spot

-LOTS of traps

-Thundergun

-Awful Lawton

-Dog Rounds

Cons:

-No way of getting Max Ammo except from dogs - VERY bad news on this map because traps aren't as convenient, meaning mid-round spinning. This is my only real turn-off about doing this map

Shangri-La

Pros:

-Favorite map :D I won't get too bored doing this one

-Wonder weapon with LOTS of ammo

-Easy Max Ammos and extra perks from monkeys

-Awful Lawton - but only with Mule Kick

Cons:

-No boss rounds

-Dangerous running route

-Drops to turn into Max Ammos stop becoming guaranteed after a certain point

-No traps

-Overall very hard map

Moon

Pros:

-Get a good start with NML

-Wave Gun

-Biodome is very wide open

-Consistent Max Ammos

Cons:

-Astronaut :evil:

-No boss rounds

-No Awful Lawton - Wave Gun is the only useful weapon

-Excavators

-Juggernog is hard to regain

-No way of getting more than four perks

I'm leaning towards Shangri-La or Der Reise. Der Reise would be more practical, but Shangri-La would be more fun. Shi No Numa seems a bit too dangerous, and Kino Der Toten seems like it would just be another Ascension, with the constant mid-round spinning. I've tried Moon a few times and haven't had good results. There's something I don't like about that map. Well, I'll mull it over and decide on Friday.

Thanks for all the advice Tom :) You'd be surprised at how many bulls**t box spawns I managed to hit. Power, Mule Kick, PaP, junkyard, and I DID successfully run the Sickle lander at one point and so that was why I was under the illusion that I could do it again.

I've been trying to think about what map to do this on, and I've come up with a few candidates:

Shi No Numa

Pros:

-Fairly simple train-and-trap strategy

-Wunderwaffe only used in emergencies

-Dog Rounds

Cons:

-No PaPing Wunderwaffe

-No Awful Lawton

-Swamp can be dangerous

Der Reise

Pros:

-Easy training spots

-LOTS of traps

-Awful Lawton

-Dog Rounds

Cons:

-Mid-round dogs

Kino Der Toten

Pros:

-VERY easy training spot

-LOTS of traps

-Thundergun

-Awful Lawton

-Dog Rounds

Cons:

-No way of getting Max Ammo except from dogs - VERY bad news on this map because traps aren't as convenient, meaning mid-round spinning. This is my only real turn-off about doing this map

Shangri-La

Pros:

-Favorite map :D I won't get too bored doing this one

-Wonder weapon with LOTS of ammo

-Easy Max Ammos and extra perks from monkeys

-Awful Lawton - but only with Mule Kick

Cons:

-No boss rounds

-Dangerous running route

-Drops to turn into Max Ammos stop becoming guaranteed after a certain point

-No traps

-Overall very hard map

Moon

Pros:

-Get a good start with NML

-Wave Gun

-Biodome is very wide open

-Consistent Max Ammos

Cons:

-Astronaut :evil:

-No boss rounds

-No Awful Lawton - Wave Gun is the only useful weapon

-Excavators

-Juggernog is hard to regain

-No way of getting more than four perks

I'm leaning towards Shangri-La or Der Reise. Der Reise would be more practical, but Shangri-La would be more fun. Shi No Numa seems a bit too dangerous, and Kino Der Toten seems like it would just be another Ascension, with the constant mid-round spinning. I've tried Moon a few times and haven't had good results. There's something I don't like about that map. Well, I'll mull it over and decide on Friday.

Shi No Numa is probably the worst map for a 100. It is painfully, painfully slow.

I'd go with Kino. Insta-Trap is the fastest strategy in this game, and it's pretty safe as well. You will also not be needing to recycle midround. :)

I wish Insta Trap was around for my 100... Would've made everything a lot easier haha

Well, looks like I'm actually NOT that good: last night AND today, died at around 40 using the insta-trap strategy. I thought it would be the patience that would prevent me from getting to 100... Well I'm too frustrated to do Kino or Ascension, despite the fact that those are the two best maps for the job. Looks like I'm either gonna attempt Moon, or see if anyone wants to go for 50 on co-op...