Black Ops Reflection: How much cheating is acceptable?

I agree with Murder though. If the world record games are recorded in full and cannot be proven illegitimate, then I don't see how anyone could have doubts about that player's records.

The specific person we might be referring to was found tampering with a world record video, editing two videos together to create one legitimate looking video. And that was the problem. This person was and still is world-record good, but when they admit that they tampered with one of their world records videos, without anyone knowing prior to it (I sure as hell could never tell), it brings all his WR videos into question. This player had good reason for editing two videos together, and I'm sure the run was legit. But unfortunately when the video is proven to be tampered with, it simply cannot be accepted. Some people are fine with it, but when it comes down to it is just not acceptable for a WR video. I've ran a WR thread for sometime on here (which needs an update badly), and there have been numerous times I've had to remove someone's record because it was not legit. Whether it was because the video was missing specific rounds, or if it's found that the original video was tampered with. There are very strict standards that need to be met when it comes to world records.

I disagree. If I was a world record player, why should I tell you that I know how to cheat? How is what I do in my spare time any of your business? I claim a world record, legitimately, and that is that. This is why famous people are always hit harder by things. Honestly this reminds me of McCarthyism. "Oppenheimer was once in the Communist Party?! Why didn't he mention it to us sooner?" I know the analogy has flaws, but still.

Like I stated, I'm fine with using the "cheats" to develop stategies and such. But it is simply in the best interest of the player who goes for world records to make it abundantly clear from the start that they had access to the "cheats", but only used them for research purposes. You should never leave these things open for interpretation if the subject comes up in the future, it will never end well. Things cannot be left for interpretation.

And yes, that was a poor analogy. But the same principles apply.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't care who you are, but I am not going to be penalized for knowing TOO MUCH information. Even if it is information that can be "dangerous". If I were to post videos of me getting real high that are legitimate, you do NOT need to know my name. You do NOT need to know whether I know coding. You do NOT need to know if I know how to cheat. You do NOT need to know my technical expertise. I got a high round legitimately with video proof. You can take it or leave it. No one should be glorified because of their skill.

Celebrity witchhunts. Communist witchhunts. Zombie high-scorer witch hunts. Come on. People have lives outside of getting world records. And it's none of anyone else's business.

I don't care who you are, but I am not going to be penalized for knowing TOO MUCH information. Even if it is information that can be "dangerous". If I were to post videos of me getting real high that are legitimate, you do NOT need to know my name. You do NOT need to know whether I know coding. You do NOT need to know if I know how to cheat. You do NOT need to know my technical expertise. I got a high round legitimately with video proof. You can take it or leave it.

Well most people will leave it in that case. If people can't trust that you don't use cheats to get your scores, why would they give a damn about your World Record. And that's why people do it. For the recognition. Why would they go through all that trouble of achieving such feats when people will just see that you had access to cheats, regardless of what you actually did with them. Like I said, it's not required, but it's in their best interest to say you use these cheats BEFORE you get the record. People will question it. That's just what people do. And the best way to avoid that drama is to get it out of the way beforehand.

Say your a slugger in the MLB. You hit home runs all day and have a .350 batting average. You're the best in the game, and your stats prove it. In an interview, a news reporter asks about sterioud use, and you mention "Yeah I use steriods, but they're for my own personal business and not for the games. It's not of your business." Now you can imagine how that would blow over. That players entire career will now come into question, and an asterisk will be placed on all of his records.

Ok, so we both have terrible analogies haha, but you can see what I'm getting at.

My final thought is this. Using the features (I won't call them cheats) that come with PC gaming is perfectly fine. But when PC players choose to go for World Records, it's in their best interest to state that they have access to these coding functions as most console players are not aware of this.

BTW, one last thing. The best way to tell if someone is lying is the way the person reacts when its brought to light. Do they try to defend themselves and the scores they have earned, or do they go quiet and avoid confrontation. Completely closing down your youtube account, for an example, would be a pretty clear admission of guilt. Just food for thought.

I don't support lying, I'm just saying it is ridiculous to expect that a high-scorer has no life outside of the game. Cheats aren't illegal. They're basically debugging tools of the game. They make a world record invalid, but knowing them shouldn't be a penalty. The VIEWERS should be penalized for not knowing how easy PC console commands can be accessed in many games, and they can be accessed in Zombies obviously. I get how people can question it, but I don't think that makes it right. When you put someone on pedestal, it's only a matter of time until it collapses.