Athens, Ohio. Black Ops II Map theory!

What is up CoDzers, this is Dark Jolteon with a new theory, that hopefully will rival some of my older, better theories ;)

The theory I bring you today is based around the fact that we have seen images of the new Zombie map (albeit very early development)and it looks like at least one of the maps we will se on BOII will be set in some sort of town, in what looks to be a very open map where exploring the town seems to be a valid option. I am going to discuss why I think this town is a good place for a Zombie map, how it could link to Zombies, and what being there will entail. As you have probably guessed, my theory suggests that this town is Athens, Ohio.

HISTORY

For those of you who know all of the history around Athens, Ohio, I suggest you skip ahead because this section will basically explain all of the legends and stories. Or, stay and have an interesting read :D

Pentagram Cemeteries

As legend goes, Athens has some of the most haunted cemeteries in the world. 5 of them in fact. They are dotted around the town, and at a glance would seem to have no connection to each other whatsoever. However, scratch a little below the surface, and there is more than just ghost stories to these cemeteries.

As stated above, there are 5 cemeteries located in Athens. Simms, Hanning, Cuckler, Higgins, and Zion. These cemeteries, especially Simms, are littered with legend and stories of ghosts and, of course, people rising from their graves. But what else makes the cemeteries at all important in this theory? Well... The cemeteries are the five largest in Athens County and have been measured to find out that they are each equal distances apart, only off by a quarter of a mile. When joined together in a specific way... They form what we all know as a Pentagram.

More importantly, the Pentagram is headed by perhaps the most famous, and of course most haunted cemetery; Simms.

Simms Cemetery

The Simms Cemetery was named for a local man by the name of John Simms. Simms was one of the town officials, with a penchant for capital punishment. The man was prone to handing down hangings for even common offenses. Simms was also known for his extreme prejudice towards freed slaves living in the area. Many of the men and women he sentenced to death by hanging were African Americans.

Simms is one of the ghosts still wandering the cemetery. Some claim to have seen the man in a hooded robe, as if still watching for criminals. It would seem as though Simms is a little unsure of how to tell the difference between criminals and normal people, especially if the stories are to be believed. Legend states that the man actually carries a sickle in one hand, and chases people away from the cemetery. There are also legends surrounding a supposed witch named Mary Roberts. Supposedly the woman was buried close to the Simms family plots, and continues to haunt his family even in death.

Wilson Hall

Of course, there is more to this place than haunted graveyards shaped in a pentagram. Sat, right in the centre of the pentagram, is one of the builings of residence for the University of Ohio, Wilson Hall. The legend of Wilson hall is a gruesome one. Witches, black magic, satan... You know the drill by now. However, although none of the legends have a direct link to Zombies, there is one factor that I can bring in to perfectly link the two. But first, the history, which takes us to ANOTHER haunted place, Ridges Insane Asylum.

Ridges was infamous for its ruthless treatments and insane (excuse the pun) doctors. Lobotomies were frequent, even common, and a man named Doctor Freema is frequently noted in history for performing lobotomies on people that may not have even needed to be in the Asylum. It is also worth noting that Doctor Freeman was of 'European origin', however his nationality was unknown. So we have an Asylum, an insane Doctor with European origins... You still following me? Good.

So, how does Ridges link with Wilson Hall and my theory? Well, this is where it gets interesting. The 1980s were the final days of the Ridges, as well as other mental hospitals all over America. Reagan's "de-institutionalization" redefined the official standard for mental illness, while shifting much of the burden to states which were unwilling or unable to keep centers like Ohio's state hospitals operating. The end result was that many thousands of mentally ill people were simply released. Homelessness shot way up from coast to coast. The patients who weren't released, were sent to other institutes to be cared for. All but one, that is. One woman remained. She went missing just a day before she was due to be moved. There were many searches of the Asylum for the woman, but she was never found. It was assumed she had escaped, and when the doors were locked for the last time, she remained inside.

What happened to the woman? You would assume death due to starvation right? Wrong. The woman climbed up to one of the top floors of the asylum, stripped off her clothes, and layed them folded on the window ledge. She then proceeded to curl up on the floor and lay alone for the remainder of her life. However, when the body was found, it was discovered that she had in fact not died of natural causes, although no cause of death could be determined. In the exact spot where she lay, a silhouette remained. It is still unexplainable how such a clear, and perfectly shaped silhouette could have been made. Of course, as you can probably guess, there is more to the silhouette than just shadows. Also, on the walls of the room where she died, the words "I was never crazy" can be read.

This is where we move onto Wilson Hall. On a 'Ghost Tour' around the asylum, one of the students of the University actually touched the silhouette. At that moment, the student then was haunted by the ghost of the woman. Guess what? The student lived in room 428, Wilson Hall, in the University of Ohio, right at the centre of the pentagram.

Now, there was more to this girl than being stalked by a crazy ghost. It was well known that the girl was deeply involved in the black arts. Most specifically, trying to raise the dead. She could be heard chanting and yelling most evenings in a dark language that no other could understand. It was said that the haunting drove the girl mad, and when combined with the dark magic being performed, turned her into an insane, soulless creature, trapped inside the human shell. Within a week of touching the womans silhoutte, the students room fell silent. For days nobody saw, or even heard her. Eventually, the staff of the University forced their way into her room, only to find that she had hung herself. Across the walls were strange markings, made from her own blood, and a grim, evil smile was spread across her dead face. It is now said she haunts the room.

How It Links To Zombies

Now, so far there hasn't been many links to Zombies... But did I mention? The student was German. The markings are said to be the language of hell. And room 428 is known as Satans Dormitory. From this I have sparked one of my craziest, but perhaps still my most realistic theory to date!

Everything to do with Wilson Hall took place in the 80s. My first theory is this. Providing Moon is set late 60s to early 70s, as many suspect (correct me if we have a date already), I have a very good idea of who the student could be. From now onwards, I do ask you broaden your imagination to maximum capacity, because it gets crazy from here. I believe, if my theory proves to be true, that the woman who went missing, and who's silhouette is in Ridges Insane Asylum, is in fact Samantha's mother, the mysterious Doctor Freeman is in fact Richtofen, and the student is Samantha herself. I told you it got crazy. However, these aren't just uneducated assumptions, I have reasons for my theories.

Consider this. We know very little about Samantha's mother, right? Could this be because she has been sent far away to an insane asylum to either hide her, or imprison her? Of course I could speculate the reasons why, but for now I will leave it open to discussion. Perhaps she disagreed with what Maxis was doing? Or she knew too much? Stuff like that seems likely.

Next, Richtofen as Doctor Freeman. Freeman was said to be of 'European Origins'. This could mean German right? I believe that after killing Doctor Maxis, Richtofen went after his wife, Samantha's mother, to try and find out what information she knew of Maxis' experiments and Aether and all that jazz... I believe this is a plausible theory, especially as this mysterious Doctor Freeman disappeared without a trace and was never heard from again. Freeman was also said to have used techniques never before seen by the other staff in the Asylum, which he claimed he learned 'during the war'. Interesting, huh?

Lastly, Samantha. Now, this part of the thoery needs the most imagination. Consider this, by some method or another, Samantha manages to retrieve her body, shows up at the door of some childrens home, and begins to grow up normally. She goes to school, lives a normal life. Well, when I say normal, I mean a life of getting unnoticed by anyone whilst simultaniously gathering information, plotting, and generally being evil. Once at University, of course being the University of Ohio, she begins dabbling in the dark arts. Trying to raise the dead, trying to regain her power. She then goes to visit the silhouette of her mother etc. and you know what comes next. Farfetched? Yes. Plausible? Most definately.

The rest of the details are open for debate, and I do realise that this is the most crazy and probably wrong thread I have ever written, but it is still possible, and in my eyes, very plausible. Escpecially since it is thinking outside the box, which we KNOW Treyarch loves to do!

Thanks very much for reading, leave comments and criticisms for my first theory in months below. Sorry for the huge amount of text :D

-Jolteon

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why does this post have only three replies? It's AMAZING! Such a well thought out and researched theory! Definitely worthy of some [brains]

Personally, I think this would be an excellent connection to the story. I've always thought insane asylums make for the best scary stories - part of the reason I love Verruckt so much. That part about the woman who locked herself inside actually gave me chills. This is exactly the kind of "creepy factor" that I'd like zombies to return to.

Why does this post have only three replies? It's AMAZING! Such a well thought out and researched theory! Definitely worthy of some [brains]

Personally, I think this would be an excellent connection to the story. I've always thought insane asylums make for the best scary stories - part of the reason I love Verruckt so much. That part about the woman who locked herself inside actually gave me chills. This is exactly the kind of "creepy factor" that I'd like zombies to return to.

That's just how it works sometimes my friend. When you have been around a while, such as I have, you come to realise that because of the immense amount of activity the site gets, sometimes things get missed or overlooked... It's a great shame, but unfortunately unavoidable. It just happens man, no worries ;)

-Jolteon